Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Mini-Camp Day 2 (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50221)

NitroGSXR 05-10-2008 07:08 PM

Mini-Camp Day 2

Xavier Adibi injured his hamstring today. Only under 200 reps too. They say it's minor but I'm still concerned because maybe he's trying too hard to keep up with the NFL speed and injured himself in the process.

Heh. I know. I know. I'm just really excited and can't wait until open practice camp starts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Kubiak
(on LB Xavier Adibi’s hamstring injury) “It’s not going to set him back drastically far, but it is a setback because all of a sudden there’s going to be guys that have about 200 reps under their belts before we get through this weekend, and he’s just watching. That’s part of it, but it’s nothing bad. So we expect him to go on the 19th (of May).”

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/St...?story_id=4310

GuerillaBlack 05-10-2008 07:17 PM

Re: Mini-Camp Day 2

What's on May 19th?

PapaL 05-10-2008 07:30 PM

I wish they would have had a blurb with Brown and any of the OL. I'm dieing to know whats going on with them and Gibbs.

ObsiWan 05-10-2008 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack (Post 916697)
What's on May 19th?

OTAs...??

ObsiWan 05-10-2008 08:47 PM

http://images.chron.com/photos/2008/...pupGallery.jpg

oh goodie, an Anthony Weaver sighting
:cool:

:sarcasm:

ObsiWan 05-11-2008 12:17 PM

Check this commentary on the state of our guys by Jerome Solomon...

http://blogs.chron.com/jeromesolomon..._minicamp.html

I know some of you can't stand him for some of the things he's written in the past, but if he's impressed with our guys conditioning...

Quote:

There was a time the majority of Texans' starters would have had trouble making some of the above rosters, so you know the backups had no chance.

That is no longer the case. The Texans are no longer a group of questionable draft picks and veteran castoffs. This team is the fastest, strongest and most athletic team the Texans have ever had.

Think I'm exaggerating, just think of the players you project to be No. 2 or 3 on the Texans' depth chart this season. Then compare those players to the starters a few years ago, and I'm thinking this year's reserves might be better than those starters. (In fact I'm going to do that next week to check the accuracy of my hypothesis.)

If you watch Jethro Franklin and Alex Gibbs at practice, you know the Texans will be nasty in the trenches.
This team will not be pushed around anymore.

Ooooooooo! Ya gotta like that.

Andrew6 05-11-2008 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ObsiWan (Post 916897)
Check this commentary on the state of our guys by Jerome Solomon...

http://blogs.chron.com/jeromesolomon..._minicamp.html

I know some of you can't stand him for some of the things he's written in the past, but if he's impressed with our guys conditioning...

Ooooooooo! Ya gotta like that.

Good find,

Must spred rep :( yada yada yada

OzzO 05-11-2008 02:34 PM

Re: Mini-Camp Day 3

Day 3 from HT.com, some good updates:

Quote:

Gary Kubiak:
(on if any rookies stood out) “No, I would just say that we felt good looking at all of them. I wish (Xavier) Adibi could’ve gotten all those reps that those other kids had got, but that’s part of it. But what we thought we saw when we drafted them is exactly what they are, so now we’ve just go to get them to fit in with this football team. And they can all help this team. That’s the key, so we’ve just got to get them going.”

(on DT Frank Okam getting more reps because of DT Travis Johnson’s wedding) “Well, we’re impressed with him. I mean, he’s a very big man. He’s 345 pounds. You normally don’t find guys that size that are athletic, too, you know, and he’s got a lot of ability. He’s very smart, so he picked up what we’re doing real quick. Local kid, so it’s very exciting for him to be playing in the state of Texas. We’re counting on him. Travis’s wedding was his gain. He got a lot of reps.”

(on if there was a difference in T Duane Brown from the first day to now) “I could tell a difference in him from practice to practice. Like I said, we won’t get there with him until he gets all those reps. Going against Mario (Williams) every day, Mario is impressive in this camp. I tell you, he’s an impressive young man right now. And y’all can see it, watching him practice and how he’s going about it, and if Duane has to see him on a daily basis, he can’t help but get there.”

(on DE Mario Williams’ improvement) “That light went on for Mario somewhere last year about Week 7 or 8. Everybody saw it, and if you watch practice right now you see him at another level. I think the sky’s the limit for him. I don’t want to sit here and say too much; I just love the way he works. I love the way he handles himself. Football is very important to Mario, and he’s working his way toward a big, big year.”

Ephraim Salaam:
(on how Brown is adjusting to the pro level) “I asked (Duane) yesterday after practice, ‘Did you guys practice this fast in college?’ He was like, ‘The games weren’t even this fast.’ So the new terminology and the speed of practice, it’s heavy, it’s tough, especially for a left tackle in this league. To just come in and get all this thrown on you, plus to be on the edge by yourself – he’s handling it alright. There are some things he needs to work on, but that’s what we’re all here for.”
http://www.houstontexans.com/uploads...humbs/7094.jpg

Hottoddie 05-11-2008 02:48 PM

Re: Mini-Camp Day 3

Quote:

Originally Posted by OzzO (Post 916933)
Day 3 from HT.com, some good updates:

Quote:

Going against Mario (Williams) every day, Mario is impressive in this camp. I tell you, he’s an impressive young man right now. And y’all can see it, watching him practice and how he’s going about it, and if Duane has to see him on a daily basis, he can’t help but get there.”

(on DE Mario Williams’ improvement) “That light went on for Mario somewhere last year about Week 7 or 8. Everybody saw it, and if you watch practice right now you see him at another level. I think the sky’s the limit for him. I don’t want to sit here and say too much; I just love the way he works. I love the way he handles himself. Football is very important to Mario, and he’s working his way toward a big, big year.”
Man, I'll say he's impressive. Just look at the condition he's in. :D

http://www.oxvox.org.uk/Big%20Bull.jpg

nunusguy 05-11-2008 04:27 PM

“I asked (Duane) yesterday after practice, ‘Did you guys practice this fast in college?’ He was like, ‘The games weren’t even this fast.
(take from this threads link)
Best kind of experience for Brown, even if its coming fast & furious. Just so they don't have him out there trying to protect Schaub or Sage's backside too soon.

sakebomb 05-12-2008 07:44 AM

I am loving the quotes on Mario. That gets my blood moving!!!

infantrycak 05-12-2008 08:51 AM

Mark Vandameer just reported Dunta was "moving around so well" this weekend.

Andre Ware said Chris Taylor is a man on a mission and looking really good.

edo783 05-12-2008 09:00 AM

Mario is one of the best DEs in the league and if Duane gets to where he isn't run over every play by Mario, we will be fine at LT.

Wolf 05-12-2008 10:03 AM

http://www.themonitor.com/sports/kub...camp_team.html

Quote:

Defensive tackle Travis Johnson missed the minicamp to get married. Rookie Frank Okam, who played at Texas, got valuable reps in Johnson's absence.

"He's very smart, so he picked up what we're doing real quick," Kubiak said. "Local kid, so it's very exciting for him to be playing in the state of Texas. We're counting on him. Travis' wedding was his gain."

The minicamp also gave some Texans a chance to gauge their recoveries from injuries.

Quarterback Matt Schaub felt fine after undergoing minor surgery on his left shoulder. Former starting left tackle Charles Spencer returned to the practice field after breaking his left leg in the second game of the 2006 season. Spencer sat out team drills, but reported no problems after three days of individual workouts.

Spencer is still a long way from winning back his starting job, but Kubiak said just his presence at the camp was inspiring to the others.

"It's good for the team, and I'm just really happy for him," Kubiak said. "After a year and a half, you could get discouraged and possibly go the other way as a player, but he has stayed true to his rehab and what everybody's asked him to do and his frame of mind is good.

"I saw a smile on his face for probably the first time in a long time, and I think he sees himself being able to do this now and make it, and that all adds up to being very good for the team."

Cornerback Dunta Robinson watched the workouts anxiously from the sideline, six months after tearing a ligament and cartilage in his right knee. The four-year pro is already a respected leader and spent the weekend tutoring the younger players in the secondary.

"I'm not actually out here practicing, but I'm running around a little bit," said Robinson, who had 33 tackles and two interceptions last season before getting hurt. "The knee's feeling better every day, and coming out here being with the guys again, it makes you feel good."

Hardcore Texan 05-12-2008 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edo783 (Post 917093)
Mario is one of the best DEs in the league and if Duane gets to where he isn't run over every play by Mario, we will be fine at LT.

This is what I have been thinking as well, it will only help him to go up against Mario in practice, that might be the thinking with throwing him in their right away on the 1st string, to see how he holds up.

Goldensilence 05-12-2008 03:35 PM

Quote:

Former starting left tackle Charles Spencer returned to the practice field after breaking his left leg in the second game of the 2006 season. Spencer sat out team drills, but reported no problems after three days of individual workouts.

Spencer is still a long way from winning back his starting job, but Kubiak said just his presence at the camp was inspiring to the others.
Best news all camp.

hookinreds 05-12-2008 03:50 PM

I love the idea of Brown going up against Mario. Playing at the level of your competition never hurts when it’s against one of the best in the league. This should give him a good idea of the speed and moves that he will be facing right from the start.

El Tejano 05-12-2008 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hookinreds (Post 917290)
I love the idea of Brown going up against Mario. Playing at the level of your competition never hurts when it’s against one of the best in the league. This should give him a good idea of the speed and moves that he will be facing right from the start.

Not to mention the power. One of the most common compliments that Mario has received from opponents is that when he slaps or punches, his opponents feel that are caving in.

76Texan 05-13-2008 05:03 PM

I hope Adibi comes back soon.
Looks like we have found a guy who can cover the big TE and FB.