Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Predict the 53-man roster (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50121)

Mr PC 05-07-2008 02:19 PM

Predict the 53-man roster
 
I know its way too early to call it, much depends upon who performs well in training camp which is still a couple months away. These predictions are just for fun, and to get a feel for how the team will look in 2008. Here is one possible roster:


Offense
T: Brown, Winston, Salaam, Butler
G: Pitts, Spencer, Weary, Brisiel
C: Myers, Eslinger

RB: Green, Brown, Slaton, Walker
FB: Leach, Taylor

TE: Daniels, Bruener, Dreesen

WR: Johnson, Walter, A. Davis, J. Jones, Grice-Mullins

QB: Schaub, Rosenfels, Gray


Defense
DE: Williams, Weaver, Kalu, Cochran
DT: Johnson, Okoye, Okam, Maddox

LB: Greenwood, Ryans, Bentley, Adibi, Diles, Thompson

CB: Robinson, Bennett, Molden, Reeves, Faggins

S: Demps, Earl, Brown, Harrison, Mitchell


P: Turk
K: Brown



What are your thoughts about who will make the team?

infantrycak 05-07-2008 02:29 PM

Re: Predict the 53-man roster
 
Pittman will almost certainly make the team. I know it is tempting every year to get rid of the long snapper but almost every team has one.

They will probably carry more than 5 CB's.

HOU-TEX 05-07-2008 02:30 PM

Re: Predict the 53-man roster
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr PC (Post 914521)
I know its way too early to call it, much depends upon who performs well in training camp which is still a couple months away. These predictions are just for fun, and to get a feel for how the team will look in 2008. Here is one possible roster:


Offense
T: Brown, Winston, Salaam, Butler
G: Pitts, Spencer, Weary, Brisiel
C: Myers, Eslinger

RB: Green, Brown, Slaton, Walker Taylor
FB: Leach, Taylor

TE: Daniels, Bruener, Dreesen

WR: Johnson, Walter, A. Davis, J. Jones, Grice-Mullins

QB: Schaub, Rosenfels, Gray


Defense
DE: Williams, Weaver, Kalu, Cochran
DT: Johnson, Okoye, Okam, Maddox

LB: Greenwood, Ryans, Bentley, Adibi, Diles, Thompson

CB: Robinson, Bennett, Molden, Reeves, Faggins Fletcher

S: Demps, Earl, Brown, Harrison, Mitchell Barber


P: Turk
K: Brown



What are your thoughts about who will make the team?

Players in bold are replaced by players in red. In reality, I'd wait until at least mid to end of training camp for any kind of roster solidity. :)

kravix 05-07-2008 02:38 PM

Re: Predict the 53-man roster
 
Offense
T: Brown, Winston, Salaam, Butler
G: Pitts, Spencer, Studdard, Brisiel
C: Myers, White

RB: Green, Brown, Slaton
FB: Leach, Taylor

TE: Daniels, Bruener, Dreesen

WR: Johnson, Walter, A. Davis, J. Jones, Anderson

QB: Schaub, Rosenfels,


Defense
DE: Williams, Weaver, Kalu, Cochran
DT: Johnson, Okoye, Okam, Maddox

LB: Greenwood, Ryans, Bentley, Adibi, Diles, Thompson

CB: Robinson, Bennett, Molden, Reeves, Faggins, Simmons, Fletcher

S: Demps, Earl, Brown, Harrison

LS: Pittman
P: Turk
K: Brown

OL is definatley the hardest to pick..

Simmons is a CB/S. I also think that Wynn is in the somewhere, maybe over Fletcher, as a KR/PR backup.

I also have a feeling that Bentley might not make the team even though we paid him more than Thompson(IIRC).

Mr PC 05-07-2008 03:43 PM

Re: Predict the 53-man roster
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by infantrycak (Post 914533)
Pittman will almost certainly make the team. I know it is tempting every year to get rid of the long snapper but almost every team has one.

yeah i know... Pittman is considered a very good long snapper, but last season he did make that bad snap which resulted in a touchdown for the Chargers. Maybe its wishful thinking but Dreesen could save a roster spot if he works out as the long snapper.


Quote:

They will probably carry more than 5 CB's.
possible, might be a good idea especially w/ questions regarding D-Rob's health. I know Harrison played some CB in college he might be able to fill in as the 6th CB in a pinch. 10 O-linemen is a lot, I could see the Texans carrying one or two less in order to carry an extra CB and/or Pittman.

AnthonyE 05-07-2008 04:04 PM

Re: Predict the 53-man roster
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr PC (Post 914577)
yeah i know... Pittman is considered a very good long snapper, but last season he did make that bad snap which resulted in a touchdown for the Chargers. Maybe its wishful thinking but Dreesen could save a roster spot if he works out as the long snapper.

Yeah, it was pretty bad. But--this might be my terrible memory on this one-- wasn't it very windy for that game? That and Turk can't fall the ball!

Hooston Texan 05-07-2008 04:57 PM

Re: Predict the 53-man roster
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr PC (Post 914577)
yeah i know... Pittman is considered a very good long snapper, but last season he did make that bad snap which resulted in a touchdown for the Chargers. Maybe its wishful thinking but Dreesen could save a roster spot if he works out as the long snapper.

What happens if Dreesen gets hurt in the first quarter of a game while playing TE? Nothing is scarier in football than not having confidence in your long-snapper, so I doubt the Texans will want to scrimp on a roster spot there. I believe nearly every team dedicates one spot for that position. One bad snap in a year does not a bad LS make.

Hooston Texan 05-07-2008 05:00 PM

Re: Predict the 53-man roster
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AnthonyE (Post 914596)
Yeah, it was pretty bad. But--this might be my terrible memory on this one-- wasn't it very windy for that game? That and Turk can't fall the ball!

I don't think it was windy that day, but Turk actually saved us 2 points by not falling on the ball. The way the Charger offense was routing our D in the first half, they would have easily scored on the possession after the free kick. The whole team laid an egg in the first half of that game, and Pittman/Turk did not want to miss out on the comedy of errors.

Polo 05-07-2008 05:02 PM

Re: Predict the 53-man roster
 
Don't sleep on Alex Brink. The guy has some skills.

HOU-TEX 05-07-2008 05:04 PM

Re: Predict the 53-man roster
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Polo (Post 914641)
Don't sleep on Alex Brink. The guy has some skills.

Yep, he's on the brink of excellence. :yes:

The Pencil Neck 05-07-2008 05:14 PM

Re: Predict the 53-man roster
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by HOU-TEX (Post 914644)
Yep, he's on the brink of excellence. :yes:

I hate to see that kind of brinkmanship.

I just hope he remembers to brink his playbook to practice.

HOU-TEX 05-07-2008 05:20 PM

Re: Predict the 53-man roster
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck (Post 914653)
I hate to see that kind of brinkmanship.

I just hope he remembers to brink his playbook to practice.

Yep, cuz if he didn't he'd be on the brink of being cut. QB's like Brink are on the brink of extinction already, so we wouldn't want to lose'em.

The Pencil Neck 05-07-2008 05:35 PM

Re: Predict the 53-man roster
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by HOU-TEX (Post 914655)
Yep, cuz if he didn't he'd be on the brink of being cut. QB's like Brink are on the brink of extinction already, so we wouldn't want to lose'em.


And if he performs really well and Kubiak is the magician people think he is, he could be real good. And then he'll have to back that Brinks truck up to the bank.

That would be cool.

Polo 05-07-2008 05:45 PM

Re: Predict the 53-man roster
 
Why does Kubes have to be a magician ?

Diles was also on the brink of not being drafted....


Now he's on the brink of starting....

HOU-TEX 05-07-2008 05:50 PM

Re: Predict the 53-man roster
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck (Post 914662)
And if he performs really well and Kubiak is the magician people think he is, he could be real good. And then he'll have to back that Brinks truck up to the bank.

That would be cool.

Very nice! I was on the brink of soiling myself after reading that.

utahmark 05-07-2008 06:00 PM

Re: Predict the 53-man roster
 
gray is probably going to the practice squad. leaving us with only 2 qb's. thats what has happened for 2 years and it hasnt hurt us yet. so unless he really shines i bet we save that roster spot for some other position.

HOU-TEX 05-07-2008 06:10 PM

Re: Predict the 53-man roster
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by markbeth (Post 914691)
gray is probably going to the practice squad. leaving us with only 2 qb's. thats what has happened for 2 years and it hasnt hurt us yet. so unless he really shines i bet we save that roster spot for some other position.

I'm no genius, but I'm willing to bet Gray is not going to the practice squad. :)

kiwitexansfan 05-07-2008 06:20 PM

Re: Predict the 53-man roster
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by markbeth (Post 914691)
gray is probably going to the practice squad. leaving us with only 2 qb's. thats what has happened for 2 years and it hasnt hurt us yet. so unless he really shines i bet we save that roster spot for some other position.

Kubiak has said he is considering carrying a 3rd QB this year.

Thorn 05-07-2008 06:39 PM

Re: Predict the 53-man roster
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan (Post 914717)
Kubiak has said he is considering carrying a 3rd QB this year.

A wise move considering our history.

Corrosion 05-07-2008 07:11 PM

Re: Predict the 53-man roster
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr PC (Post 914577)
possible, might be a good idea especially w/ questions regarding D-Rob's health. I know Harrison played some CB in college he might be able to fill in as the 6th CB in a pinch. 10 O-linemen is a lot, I could see the Texans carrying one or two less in order to carry an extra CB and/or Pittman.

D-Rob quite possibly could start the season on the pup list . Im not gonna count him out just yet but it is definately a possibility .


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:34 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger