Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Blazing Arrow "Rivalry Talk" (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   New Rivalry week (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49489)

SouthSideTexan 04-21-2008 04:09 PM

New Rivalry week

Why doesn't the NFL have a rivalry week like baseball or College Football? It seems like it would benefit the NFL and the teams to have one. What do y'all think about this schedule?

Houston Texans -v- Dallas Cowboys

Cincinnati Bengals -v- Pittsburgh Steelers

Cleveland Browns -v -Baltimore Ravens

Indianapolis Colts -v- Tenessee Titans

New England Patriots -v- Buffalo Bills

New York Giants -v-New York Jets

New Orleans Saints -v- Atlanta Falcons

Oakland Raiders -v- San Francisco 49'ers

Seattle Seahawks -v- San Diego Chargers

Detroit Lions -v- Minnesota Vikings

Green Bay Packers -v- Chicago Bears

Carolina Panthers -v- Jacksonville Jaguars

Washington Redskins -v- Philadelphia Eagles

Tampa Bay Buccaneers -v- Miami Dolphins

Denver Broncos -v- Kansas City Chiefs

St. Louis Rams -v- Arizona Cardinals

gwallaia 04-21-2008 04:13 PM

Re: New Rivalry week

Because the NFL is on a set schedule formula. The rivalry games could only consistently be played on a yearly basis during pre-season. But many of the games on your list are divisional games anyways and are already played twice each season.

Texan_Bill 04-21-2008 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwallaia (Post 898226)
Because the NFL is on a set schedule formula. The rivalry games could only consistently be played on a yearly basis during pre-season. But many of the games on your list are divisional games anyways and are already played twice each season.

What he (Gwallaia) said^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Lucky 04-21-2008 04:21 PM

While it would probably be difficult to accomplish due to stadium avaliability, I would like to see a week of intradivision only games. Maybe Week 16? That would be more of a rivalry week than the contrived geographical "rivalries".

brakos82 04-21-2008 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwallaia (Post 898226)

That "set schedule" you speak of is over after the 2009 season. :shades:

Texan_Bill 04-21-2008 06:48 PM

Rivalry week??

Brakos v. PapaL

brakos82 04-21-2008 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texan_Bill (Post 898392)
Rivalry week??

Brakos v. PapaL

:spit: So true.

Bubbajwp 04-21-2008 07:53 PM

On a side note I dont think most cowboy fans think of the Texans as rivals. They got the Eagles,Redskins,and Giants as rivals we easily fall in fourth place.

Are rivals have to be Jags, Titans.

DBCooper 04-22-2008 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bubbajwp (Post 898475)
On a side note I dont think most cowboy fans think of the Texans as rivals. They got the Eagles,Redskins,and Giants as rivals we easily fall in fourth place.

Don't forget the Colts, they just don't know it YET.

Double Barrel 04-22-2008 03:23 PM

Quote:

From what I gather, most Cowboys fans look at the Texans like lil' brother. They have no animosity, and are at a loss why anyone in Houston would have it in for their team. My Cowboys fans buds even agree that they can be a bit arrogant, but then they just smile and show five fingers. grrrrr....

On a semi-related note...damn you, Bud Adams!! My hatred for your franchise has dwarfed everything else, so I am rather ambivalent about the Cowboys now.

bah007 04-22-2008 04:46 PM

Quote:

I honestly don't even consider the Cowboys to be our rivals.

I consider the Titans our top rival, followed by the Jags.

Vinny 04-23-2008 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bah007 (Post 899526)
I honestly don't even consider the Cowboys to be our rivals.

I consider the Titans our top rival, followed by the Jags.

pretty much same here except we need to start beating the Titans if we really want to make that a rivalry...hard to consider the Cowboys a rival when we only play them twice a decade in the regular season.

NBT 06-12-2008 08:01 PM

............. There are still a few of us who remember the good rivalries with the Steelers, Bengals, and Browns. But the Oilers have gone to football heaven. (Shed a tear here).

BigTimeTexanFan 06-12-2008 08:55 PM

MLB season is 162 games while NFL schedule is 16. It's easier to find room for a set rivalry game(series) in baseball.