Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   McNair and the Salary Cap (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4941)

hetero doxy 12-08-2004 11:21 AM

McNair and the Salary Cap
 
it's a fact the lackeys in here don't want to talk about, and keep deleting, but bob mcnair is sitting on millions of dollars he could be spending for on-the-field talent, despite being the second-highest revenue team in football and the beneficiary of the largest stadium gift in the history of the game. if the texans look to you like they do to me, namely an expansion team short on top-flight talent, then mcnair needs to be asked why he won't spend to the cap. the texans keep trading away draft picks and replacing them with free agents no one has heard of, who often make the minimum salary.

TexanAlmighty 12-08-2004 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hetero doxy
it's a fact the lackeys in here don't want to talk about, and keep deleting, but bob mcnair is sitting on millions of dollars he could be spending for on-the-field talent, despite being the second-highest revenue team in football and the beneficiary of the largest stadium gift in the history of the game. if the texans look to you like they do to me, namely an expansion team short on top-flight talent, then mcnair needs to be asked why he won't spend to the cap. the texans keep trading away draft picks and replacing them with free agents no one has heard of, who often make the minimum salary.


They delete it for a reason, you don't know what you are talking about. :loser

Lucky 12-08-2004 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hetero doxy
it's a fact the lackeys in here don't want to talk about, and keep deleting, but bob mcnair is sitting on millions of dollars he could be spending for on-the-field talent, despite being the second-highest revenue team in football and the beneficiary of the largest stadium gift in the history of the game.

If it's a fact, put the numbers in a post for all to see and let's argue the merits. No one is going delete facts, just baseless rants.

infantrycak 12-08-2004 11:48 AM

Here you go HD. This thread can be your venue for making your argument about McNair's abuse of the salary cap, etc. Please explain your position to everyone here and refrain from injecting this topic into multiple threads where it is off-topic.

infantrycak 12-08-2004 12:02 PM

Great HD, IMO that disproves your point. Look at the Clayton chart--the Texans are closer to the cap than the majority of teams (specifically 10 teams are closer than the Texans) and frankly closer than I would like them to be at this point in their development. IMO they need to keep a reserve so that they don't have to go hat in hand to the players to restructure contracts all the time whenever they see a FA they want to sign. Clayton's numbers are also from last summer and do not include the 8-9 guys that have gone on IR--part of why teams keep some room as well going into the season. They may not have much if any cap room at this point.

Lucky 12-08-2004 12:21 PM

Let's assume for a moment that the salary cap numbers are current. Whom would you have had the Texans sign for the $3 mil remaining? What difference maker in last years FA class should the Texans have picked up?

Eleven teams are closer to the salary cap than the Texans. If the Texans have a problem, it's a league wide epidemic. I find it difficult to believe that McNair has a problem spending money after looking at some of the bonuses he's handed out this year:

Gary Walker - $11 million
Todd Wade - $10 million
Robaire Smith - $8 million
Marcus Coleman - $5 million
Andre Johnson - $5 million (option bonus)
Dunta Robinson - $4 million
Jason Babin - $2 million

WWJD 12-08-2004 12:38 PM

I think the Gary Walker contract was a huge mistake.

HJam72 12-08-2004 12:55 PM

I think that 3.3 million should go back to the public....namely, me. :jumpbanan

STEEL BLUE TEXANS 12-08-2004 01:27 PM

LMAO @ this thread. Mods, please delete this garbage.

WWJD 12-08-2004 01:33 PM

The moderators have several posts in this thread. Why delete this? It's just discussion.

Vinny 12-08-2004 02:20 PM

Let me try to bring a bit of clarity to what is being deleted....
 
Any agenda-driven posting that is off-topic and redundant will get the heave-ho. Setting up a thread and debating this position is not trolling, but bleeding this topic into the majority of one's posts in an off-topic effort is agenda-driven trolling.

Perhaps hd doesn't think he is trolling. He may think he is sharing something important. Anyone can start an Enron conspiracy thread or a NcNair thread if one likes. People, you can pick his position apart if you think you can but as long as it is presented properly it will not be removed. Off-topic serial ranting will be deleted once you establish an agenda however.

In the No Spin Zone we stopped deleting partisan insults because it was too large a task with hundreds of insults. What happens now is that you won't lose a sentence or two, you lose the entire effort when you make a partisan insult. We will use the same methods in the other forums because if you want your voice heard you need to play by the rules. Lose enough posts and you show that you are not respectful of your community. If you can't respect your community, you cannot post here.

We don't moderate negative posting but we will delete ongoing, agenda-driven efforts that are designed to provoke a negative reaction if you let it bleed into your majority offerings in an off-topic manner. The name-calling needs to end though, I will delete that, but in the future that will get your entire post removed.

Cincinnatikid 12-08-2004 02:38 PM

3.3 million isnt much under the cap compared to other teams. Money doesnt necessarily make the team. The Raiders are less than a million under the cap and they are terrible. The eagles are 10 million under and i do believe they are doing ok. Some of the better teams such as the Patriots and Steelers are a little lower than us, but 1 million in the NFL doesnt mean much. The difference is some of their players and how well they play together and run their schemes. Money isnt the problem.

CrumplerFan 12-08-2004 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cincinnatikid
3.3 million isnt much under the cap compared to other teams. Money doesnt necessarily make the team. The Raiders are less than a million under the cap and they are terrible. The eagles are 10 million under and i do believe they are doing ok. Some of the better teams such as the Patriots and Steelers are a little lower than us, but 1 million in the NFL doesnt mean much. The difference is some of their players and how well they play together and run their schemes. Money isnt the problem.

Agree. 3 million makes it possible to react or have some more space next year.

Compare that with McCombs and his Team in Minnesota. The Vikings were so much under the Cap, that they took the SB of the Antoine Winfield contract - 10 million BTW - and converted it into an option bonus for his very first year. Doing that he took the 10 million cap hit without any problems and he can be cut in any of the following years without Cap rammifications. And they have even more space remaining. That is an owner that has NO interest in spending money on his team.

aj. 12-08-2004 07:21 PM

sigh...

In mid-July, ESPN was reporting a figure around 3.3 million under. That was back when they were only counting the top 51 salaries.

Since then, they have added salary 52 and 53 to the cap number in addition to 8 guys on IR and 8 practice squad players. The only gain that I can recall was the Coleman restructure.

They are probably just barely under the cap now. The premise of this thread is stupid and why I just wasted 2 minutes of my life responding is beyond me.

infantrycak 12-08-2004 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aj.
The premise of this thread is stupid and why I just wasted 2 minutes of my life responding is beyond me.

Thanks for doing it though--I remembered the IR guys, but not the practice squad folks.

chicagotexan 12-10-2004 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aj.
sigh...

The premise of this thread is stupid and why I just wasted 2 minutes of my life responding is beyond me.

Well I'll bet the remaining 3 mil McNair is "hoarding" that a certain goof will outdo himself with even more rediculous and baseless statements.

chicagotexan 12-10-2004 10:19 AM

Ouch, you got me. I feel like such a fool for writing something so ignorant and pointless. How will I ever be able to walk into a room after making such a fool of myself? How do you do it?

WWJD 12-10-2004 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hetero doxy
"rEdiculous"?

umm, i'll take you seriously on issues of substance.

not.


Just a friendly suggestion....it always seems when one plays the spelling guru that at some point it comes up to bite you in the rear. We all misspell from time to time whether it be a typing error or a momentary mental lapse. Not that anybody needs me to say it but I've been critical on other boards about spelling and it came back to bite me when I made a mistake. Let's just say LESSON LEARNED.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:40 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger