Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   The First 3 Picks (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4933)

Cheroqui 12-08-2004 12:54 AM

The First 3 Picks

I'm curious to know what you all think may be the first 3 picks selected come draft day and in what positions? Also I saw the Edgerrin James post too and would like to know if you think we'll fill a RB spot through NFL or a rookie out of college?

Blake 12-08-2004 10:22 AM

My signature says it all. And im not sure anyone knows what the Texans will do for RB. My gut tells me they will go with a rookie. Let him grow next year, and hopefully pull off a 5 year superbowl plan.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS 12-08-2004 10:46 AM

1. Ahmad Brooks
2. Gabe Watson
3. Kevin Everett

gwallaia 12-08-2004 11:08 AM

Let me throw out this wacky idea.

With the #1 pick, the 49ers will either draft Matt Lienhart or trade away the pick. I get the feeling, the Dolphins at #2 will go after Cedric Benson. Would the Texans be crazy enough to work out a deal with the 49ers and grab Benson with the 1st pick?

TheOgre 12-08-2004 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwallaia
Let me throw out this wacky idea.

With the #1 pick, the 49ers will either draft Matt Lienhart or trade away the pick. I get the feeling, the Dolphins at #2 will go after Cedric Benson. Would the Texans be crazy enough to work out a deal with the 49ers and grab Benson with the 1st pick?

No because it would cost us about 3 1sts to move up there.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS 12-08-2004 11:23 AM

Yes, the Texans would have to be crazy to do that. That would most likely cost us our first, second, and one of our third round picks in addition to next years first round pick. That is just a rough estimate. It is a lot to risk for someone that is very similar to Ricky Williams, both on and off the field.

Cheroqui 12-08-2004 11:34 AM

For Roc & Steel

You're gonna have to forgive me on this one but, I'm not that deep into all the players in college to know exactly who all those prospects are. If you don't mind telling me what positions those 3-5 guys play I would appreciate it. Thanks

Lucky 12-08-2004 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hetero doxy
...i think the dolphins will consider trading their pick for philip rivers of the chargers...

That would be interesting considering how much Marino & Spielman loved Rivers going into last year draft. And I would think the Chargers would be up for it as well. But San Diego would take a big hit against the cap by trading Rivers as his signing bonus proration would accelerate. Don't know if they could afford to trade him. Also, I'm not sure who will be running the show in Miami by then and what they think about Rivers.

infantrycak 12-08-2004 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hetero doxy
i think the dolphins will consider trading their pick for philip rivers of the chargers, and the chargers could pick derrick johnson #2.

That would make sense, but the NFL cap is set up so that it is unlikely. If the Chargers trade Rivers all of his remaining unprorated signing bonus accelerates to this year, to the tune of $12.1 mil. Not impossible since they have $21 mil of cap space next year, but they will have to resign Brees or franchise him ($10 mil) as well because he is an UFA.

beerlover 12-08-2004 12:33 PM

the decision to franchise or not to depends upon how much success he & the rest of his teamates enjoy the rest of the year into the playoffs. Its impossible to tell at this point, maybe they have odds in Vegas :heh:

Blake 12-08-2004 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheroqui
You're gonna have to forgive me on this one but, I'm not that deep into all the players in college to know exactly who all those prospects are. If you don't mind telling me what positions those 3-5 guys play I would appreciate it. Thanks

1. Ahmad Brooks, OLB, Virginia (Sophmore)
2. Jonathan Scott, OT, Texas (Junior)
3. Ben Wilkerson, C, L.S.U. (Senior)
3. Orien Harris, DT, Miami(FL) (Junior)
4. Frank Gore, RB, Miami(FL) (Junior)

Nawzer 12-08-2004 02:13 PM

I was surfing some the draft sites and The Great Blue North has us taking Cadillac Williams with our first pick. I don't know if he'll last the long but I'll be happy if they do take him. Some other site has us taking Rodrique Wright, DT, out of UT.

infantrycak 12-08-2004 02:19 PM

If the Texans were to take a RB in the 1st and both Williams and Brown were available I would lay money on them taking Ronnie Brown--bigger, already knows how to block (played FB some), soft hands, no significant injuries and as fast or faster.

texansfan88 12-08-2004 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DC_ROCK
1. Ahmad Brooks, OLB, Virginia (Sophmore)
2. Jonathan Scott, OT, Texas (Junior)
3. Ben Wilkerson, C, L.S.U. (Senior)
3. Orien Harris, DT, Miami(FL) (Junior)
4. Frank Gore, RB, Miami(FL) (Junior)

Wow, I'm glad you're not a GM

A) Brooks has said he's staying
B) Scott has said he's staying
C) Wilkerson had season ending surgery and wont be ready for awhile
D) Orien had a terrible year and is staying
E) Frank Gore will be staying

Fiddy 12-08-2004 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infantrycak
If the Texans were to take a RB in the 1st and both Williams and Brown were available I would lay money on them taking Ronnie Brown--bigger, already knows how to block (played FB some), soft hands, no significant injuries and as fast or faster.

Ronnie Brown is who I want...

Blake 12-08-2004 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texansfan88
Wow, I'm glad you're not a GM

A) Brooks has said he's staying
B) Scott has said he's staying
C) Wilkerson had season ending surgery and wont be ready for awhile
D) Orien had a terrible year and is staying
E) Frank Gore will be staying

haha, ok Texasfan88. Can you back up any of this talk? Or is that all you have?

astrofan 12-08-2004 03:50 PM

1st: TE Heath Miller/ DE>OLB David Pollack/ DE>OLB Dan Cody
2nd ILB Barrett Ruud/ DT Haloti Ngata/ OG David Baas
3rd DT>DE Dusty Dvoracek/ ILB Adam Seward/ OT Daniel Loper
3rd OT Rob Petitti/ OT Michael Roos/ S Darnell Bing

That could change with injuries and FAs

Vinny 12-08-2004 03:55 PM

This is a weak draft class and our mid 1st pick will be the quality of last year's second rounder. I'd go with the safest pick instead of the risky boom-or-bust type selection if we cannot find a way to trade up or trading for another 2005 first round pick. I have a feeling there is going to be a lot of dud's in this draft. I'm not married to a specific position for this reason. I just want the pick to be NFL starter quality.

As far as Ced Benson goes, his draft stock is directly tied into his 40 time at the combine or in individual workouts. That said, he is the same back either way, but the fan and media speculation will settle after he runs.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS 12-08-2004 04:04 PM

Abdul Hodge ILB - second round maybe?

astrofan 12-08-2004 04:13 PM

I have mentioned Roth before as an 3rd round alternative to a first round OLB, but I didn't get to see many of his games. Where do you think he would fit best for the Texans? He seems like a natural LB pressed into playing with his hand on the ground due his tremendous size - bigger than #93. Does anyone know how fast Babin or Wong run a 40, for a little reference?

OT: who cares about 40 times for guys that weigh 250+? I am much more interested in 5yd 10yd and 20yd burst for a big fella.