Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Was trading Drew Henson the wisest move? (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=493)

DominatorDavis 05-24-2004 08:32 PM

Was trading Drew Henson the wisest move?

Would Drew have signed with Houston if given the opportunity? I think that that question has been on my mind since he was drafted while still wearing Yankee pinstripes. Is or will he be better than Dave Ragone? Is he worth what will probably be a mid to later 3rd round next year in 2005? Or is he worth more? I have a hankering that Henson will be a very good NFL quarterback and that the Cowboys got one over on us. I think that Henson was one of the highest rated QB's that the scouts have seen in a long time; did exceptional in his workouts, had good foot work, completed all the tough passes, performed head and shoulders better than almost all college QB's in similar workouts, retained a solid working football knowledge, scored outstanding on the Wonderlick test, can handle bigtime pressure, has proven to be fiscally responsible, is soundminded competent and mature, and is still very very young. Why did we trade him again?

Casserly has said in the past that the most important position on a team is the quarterback. The second most important position on a team is the back-up quarterback. I'd have signed the kid.

Vinny 05-24-2004 08:33 PM

We trade him or lose him. He would have never signed.

DominatorDavis 05-24-2004 08:35 PM

V - we'd have never signed him - says who?

Vinny 05-24-2004 08:36 PM

He made it pretty clear that he wanted to leave the Yankees to start in the NFL, not back up Carr or any other franchise QB.

profan 05-24-2004 08:44 PM

He made it very clear that he did not want to sign with us and be a back-up. Many teams looked at him and did not come up with better offers. We got a #3 pick for a #6. That's not bad business in my book.

BuffSoldier 05-24-2004 08:45 PM

We didnt even have enough money in the 2003 rookie pool to give him a contract he would except.

DominatorDavis 05-24-2004 08:45 PM

No doubt that in Dallas he has a good shot to take the job away from Quincy but he did not know that nor did he know where he would end up before declaring elegible prior to the draft. The Texans are the ones who pushed the idea of him going where he wants to go. Not the other way around. He just realized that he was a better QB than batter. I like the dialogue here but I just never saw where Drew was flat out unwilling to sign if the Texans presented an offer to him.

ledzeppelin229 05-24-2004 08:50 PM

I think some people have built up a little bit of an inferiority complex to the rest of the league (and especially Dallas). For all the insults and jokes we make about the Cowboys, we sure have a lot of people constantly afraid Dallas has outsmarted our front office or bested us in some other way.

Have confidence, have faith, we've planted a great foundation and as the saying goes, "You reap what you sow".

DominatorDavis 05-24-2004 09:00 PM

I think that that is not what my intention really entails Zep. I don't care what team it is - Cowboys or Chargers - if there is a good move for the team we should look at it closer. That is all I am saying. Besides we wiped the floor with the Cowboys opening day - there is no complex here. A 3rd for a 6th is a good move no doubt. But we will have to see what that 3rd turns out to be. Having said that, I think that we should have gone to hell and back to sign him. But I think that management felt that they got one over on the NFL for drafting him unexpectedly and that it would look good to trade him and gain position verse actually looking at the proposition of inking a deal. And we had money - millions in fact.

PHAROAH 05-24-2004 09:08 PM

David Carr hasn't proved he is the quarterback that carry the load like a #1 overall pick. We should have a signed Drew Henson

gwallaia 05-24-2004 09:10 PM

Signing Drew Henson was NEVER the intention of the Texans. He was drafted for the sole reason of trading.

Fiddy 05-24-2004 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHAROAH
We should have a signed Drew Henson

He wouldnt have signed with us for any reason unless we released Carr (which will never happen), thats the point Vinny is trying to make.

PHAROAH 05-24-2004 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwallaia
Signing Drew Henson was NEVER the intention of the Texans. He was drafted for the sole reason of trading.

I know why he was drafted but, can you say that David Carr has proven that he can carry this team to the level of play that we expect a guy who was taken #1 in draft. We should have kept him for insurance.

gwallaia 05-24-2004 09:15 PM

Gee, David Carr has played two seasons with an expansion team. I think he has proven he is one helluva player that's going to get better.

Carr is our man.

Fiddy 05-24-2004 09:16 PM

Quote:

We should have kept him for insurance.

How would have we kept him for insurance if he wasnt going to sign. He would have gone back into the draft before he signed with us for the intent to be insurance.

PHAROAH 05-24-2004 09:19 PM

[quote=gwallaia]Gee, David Carr has played two seasons with an expansion team. I think he has proven he is one helluva player that's going to get better.

Carr is our man.
David has all the physical gifts that you look for but the numbers don't lie. David will get better I agree with but, if we could have kept Drew Henson I would have been all for it.

Fiddy 05-24-2004 09:21 PM

Quote:

...if we could have kept Drew Henson I would have been all for it.

We couldnt have, thats the point. Henson wouldnt have signed. And anyways I would be against it.

gwallaia 05-24-2004 09:21 PM

You may have been all for it, but Drew Henson would not have been.

texan279 05-24-2004 09:24 PM

It looks like Henson may be playing backup for a while if Hutchinson keeps doing what he is doing over in NFL Europe and can keep doing it for the Cowgirls. Anyone know who is going to start for the Cowgirsl this year?

PHAROAH 05-24-2004 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fiddy
We couldnt have, thats the point. Henson wouldnt have signed. And anyways I would be against it.

Why? it is good having 2 talented QB's there is nothing wrong with having more talent to make your team better. Forget about he wouldn't have signed that's not the point i'm trying to make. All i'm saying is that if we have a chance to get a very talented player at any position you take and don't worry about who is comfortable, you have to play the game and if you can't hang then go to another team. This is NFL you have to PERFORM that's all i'm saying.