Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Where is the progress??? (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4917)

the wonger need food 12-07-2004 02:50 PM

Where is the progress???

Does anyone really see any progress in this team? Statistically they are better than last year, but their record is the same even with an easier schedule. They have been blown-out more times this year than the first two combined.

Coach Capers laid it on the table going into the locker room for halftime last week. He said the second half is going to show the maturity level of this team. Well, it most certainly did.

We've now lost 4 out of 5 with 3 of those losses being very embarrassing. All of this season's earlier progress has been erased and the team is again labeled as an expansion team.

So if this team goes 6-10 or 7-9, is that progress? Not in my opinion.

The most disturbing part of the equation is that the team has talented players. On defense, they have several pro bowl-caliber players. This is essentially the same defense that was great in 2002. Coach Capers is allegedly a defensive-minded coach, yet this unit continues to disappoint. The offense has talent, as we have seen in spurts this season, but for some reason they cannot put 4 quarters of consistent football together. As a team they have not played a complete game all year.

Bottom line is that changes have to be made if this team is going to mature into a consistent winner. The talent is in place, they now need an X's and O's head coach that can put a 4-quarter gameplan together.

Houston wants a winner and will not settle for anything less. We appreciate everything Dom has done to get this franchise off the ground, but it is time to take it to the next level.

swisher 12-07-2004 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the wonger need food
So if this team goes 6-10 or 7-9, is that progress?

Yes it is. These posts are starting to get really annoying.

ATX 12-07-2004 03:23 PM

i don't think its the record as much as the improvement. remember last year when the texans were oh so close ot beating the colts and the patriots. now i'd take another 5-11 season if the losses weren't so bad. i mean if we were in the games unitl the 4th quarter and say lost on a fieldgoal, i think that would show improvement over going say 7-9 barely winning the seven and getting beat bad in the 9 losses. in my opinion, we've only dominated one game this season, which was the riaders game, and that could be in part because of collins, but we' just haven't shown the progress, i believe. this has to do with our lackluster effotrs in the second half of games this year. now whether coaches or players fault, we just need to go out and play tough the next 4 games and try to win them all.

bckey 12-07-2004 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swisher
Yes it is. These posts are starting to get really annoying.

These posts too.

swisher 12-07-2004 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bckey
These posts too.

As is this one.

HJam72 12-07-2004 05:15 PM

7-9 will show progress. I'm not so sure that 6-10 will. In fact, I don't think 6-10 will prove anything, except they haven't gotten worse.

And yes, I know this post is annoying, lol.

LiveForTheGame 12-07-2004 05:32 PM

It just depends on how they feel in the locker room and as a team. No one knows how well or bad they're actually playing except for them.

TheOgre 12-07-2004 05:34 PM

Would 9-7 show progress?

rhc564 12-07-2004 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swisher
As is this one.

...somebody making you read posts you don't like or agree with? Freedom
of speech, gotta love it!!!!~ :hmmm:

brickmantexanfan 12-07-2004 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the wonger need food
Does anyone really see any progress in this team? Statistically they are better than last year, but their record is the same even with an easier schedule. They have been blown-out more times this year than the first two combined.

Coach Capers laid it on the table going into the locker room for halftime last week. He said the second half is going to show the maturity level of this team. Well, it most certainly did.

We've now lost 4 out of 5 with 3 of those losses being very embarrassing. All of this season's earlier progress has been erased and the team is again labeled as an expansion team.

So if this team goes 6-10 or 7-9, is that progress? Not in my opinion.

The most disturbing part of the equation is that the team has talented players. On defense, they have several pro bowl-caliber players. This is essentially the same defense that was great in 2002. Coach Capers is allegedly a defensive-minded coach, yet this unit continues to disappoint. The offense has talent, as we have seen in spurts this season, but for some reason they cannot put 4 quarters of consistent football together. As a team they have not played a complete game all year.

Bottom line is that changes have to be made if this team is going to mature into a consistent winner. The talent is in place, they now need an X's and O's head coach that can put a 4-quarter gameplan together.

Houston wants a winner and will not settle for anything less. We appreciate everything Dom has done to get this franchise off the ground, but it is time to take it to the next level.

Encarta defines progress as follows

pro·gress

n [pró grèss, prō grèss]
1. improvement: gradual development or improvement of something
2. motion toward something: movement forward or onward
3. (plural pro·gress·es) royal tour: an official royal tour (archaic)

v [prə gréss, prō gréss] (past pro·gressed, past participle pro·gressed, present participle pro·gress·ing, 3rd person present singular pro·gress·es)
1. vi improve: to develop or advance continuously
2. vi move along: to move forward or onward
3. vt help complete something: to bring something toward completion

[15th century. From Latin progressus , the past participle of progredi “to go forward,” from gradi “to walk.”]

Hope this made it clearer for you to understand.Yes we made progress every single year in the Texans Franchise,so all you negative bottom dwelling scum suckers,need to stop and think abpout your post,this is our 3rd year in the NFL we are aquiring talent and just now getting some talent on the depth chart,just watch the best is yet to come. :hairpull:

Double Barrel 12-07-2004 06:04 PM

I'm not so sure about calling this season's schedule "easier". Take a look at our games so far:

San Diego Lost 20-27 - Chargers record 9-3
Detroit Lost 16-28 - Lions record 5-7
Kansas City Won 24-21 - Chiefs record 4-8
Oakland Won 30-17 - Raiders record 4-8
Minnesota Lost 28-34 - Vikings record 7-5
Tennessee Won 20-10 - Titans record 4-8
Jacksonville Won 20-6 - Jaguars record 6-6
Denver Lost 13-31 - Broncos record 7-5
Indianapolis Lost 14-49 - Colts record 9-3
Green Bay Lost 13-16 - Packers record 7-5
Tennessee Won 31-21 - Titans record 4-8
N.Y. Jets Lost 7-29 - Jets record 9-3

Out of our 7 losses so far, 6 of them have been to teams with current winning records. The 7th game was to the Lions, which could still have a good shot to make the wildcard spot in a very weak NFC (and could still end up with a winning record this year).

With league parity, any of these teams could be Superbowl contenders.

o.k., let's compare to last year's schedule:

Miami Won 21-20 - Dolphins record 10-6
New Orleans Lost 10-31 - Saints record 8-8
Kansas City Lost 14-42 - Chiefs record 13-3
Jacksonville Won 24-20 - Jaguars record 5-11
Tennessee Lost 17-38 - Titans record 12-4
N.Y. Jets Lost 14-19 - Jets record 6-10
Indianapolis Lost 21-30 - Colts record 12-4
Carolina Won 14-10 - Panthers record 11-5
Cincinnati Lost 27-34 - Bengals record 8-8
Buffalo Won 12-10 - Bills record 6-10
New England Lost 20-23 - Patriots record 14-2
Atlanta Won 17-13 - Falcons record 5-11
Jacksonville Lost 0-27 - Jaguars record 5-11
Tampa Bay Lost 3-16 - Bucs record 7-10
Tennessee Lost 24-27 - Titans record 12-4
Indianapolis Lost 17-20 - Colts record 12-4

So in 2003 we played 6 teams with winning records (two of those teams twice - Colts and Titans).

While in 2004, we've already played 6 teams with winning records, and we still have to play two teams with current winning records (Colts & possibly the Jaguars by then).

It's not like this year's schedule is a walk in the park.

Factor in the fact that they could not put two wins back-to-back last year (already done TWICE this year) and we swept a division opponent for the first time ever, I think we have to look at this year as a potential "success"...provided they win at least 1-2 more games this season.

They ended the 2003 season on a FOUR GAME LOSING STREAK!

HJam72 12-07-2004 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOgre
Would 9-7 show progress?

9-7 would be MAJOR progress.

...and that's from a negative, bottom dwelling scum sucker. :bguitar:

swisher 12-08-2004 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhc564
...somebody making you read posts you don't like or agree with? Freedom
of speech, gotta love it!!!!~ :hmmm:

Its even more annoying when people throw freedom of speech in your face when you DO disagree. :hmmm:

TheOgre 12-08-2004 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HJam72
9-7 would be MAJOR progress.

...and that's from a negative, bottom dwelling scum sucker. :bguitar:

That was meant in Jest. I don't think you would find many people, if anyone, that would look at 9-7 as anything but progress.

Texas_Heat 12-08-2004 05:20 PM

No its even more annoying when some people on this board act like if you don't think everything is ok with this team your not a fan.

Tayton 12-08-2004 05:54 PM

I have been wondering if we are making progress myself. I'm not sure what the answer is. Are we a better team, probably. Are we playing better, you decide. Whether or not we have an easier schedule is debatable. For the most part we are beating bad teams, losing to average teams, and getting blown out by good teams. Are we a player or two away from being a decent team? I'm a homer and my heart tells me we are, but my head tells me something else. To me the progress question is a fair one. I didn't expect the playoffs, but I had hoped for better this year. I could be wrong but I think that the team thinks they are under achieving this year also.

infantrycak 12-08-2004 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hetero doxy
i'm more disappointed with some "bigger picture" things.

How about telling us what they are?

TexansTrueFan 12-08-2004 10:01 PM

Oh lord people. I'm SORRY this team didnt deliver a championship to houston this season, but this season has been an improvment, regardless of record ! We have gotten 2 new great starters on defense, and we have seen flashes of hope from the offense this season. So overall i would have to say this season has been fairly successful, and i know we dont all agree but to get mad at people because of their opinions is just dumb !

profan 12-08-2004 10:26 PM

I think progress has been made over last season, however, it appears the progress has stopped over the past five games. Will wait for the end of the season to make an overall judgement. All the talent is not in place, we need more time with the zone blocking and it should come around, defense needs to play together as we have three rookies and others at different positions, Payne will be back to his old self next season. Next season will determine Capers future with this team and I think we will be a playoff team.

Texans Pride 12-08-2004 11:08 PM

I posted this message in another thread, but I feel it's relevant to this one as well, so I am going to repost it. I'm sure I will get heat for it, but that's ok. I feel it is important, and needs to be said AGAIN:

Football is a brutal, aggressive, and nasty game. It’s not a game of tennis or polo; it is a game where men beat the tar out of each other and walk away with blood on their jerseys. I for one do not want a bunch of refined gentlemen playing on my team. I want tough, ruthless, monsters that will step on the opposing player because he is in his path, rather than pick them up off the ground.

Where is the fire, where is the point of attack? There is none. Our players use words like please and thank you, and the same goes for our coach as well. Yesterday was the FIRST TIME I’ve seen Capers show any emotion at all. I was so shocked I had to rewind the TIVO just to see it again.

I say bring on the Ray Lewis, the Chad Johnson, and hell yeah, bring me TO! They're jerks, they're rude, they care about themselves, say whatever you want, but one thing you have to say is that they are amazing football players that pump their teams up. Look at the Eagles; they were a good team the last few years. With the addition of TO, they are a great team, and it is because of his attitude and fire that he brings to the table.

GET RID OF THE NICE GUYS, COACH CAPERS AND CHRIS PALMER! THERE IS A REASON THESE PEOPLE DIDN’T HAVE JOBS WHEN THIS TEAM STARTED! I love this team, but it’s not a tennis team or a polo team….IT’S A DAMN FOOTBALL TEAM!

This third year excuse is lame. I don't care if this is your first year or your 60th year in the league. You play 60 FULL MINUTES of football when you head out on that field, you don't quit, and you don't play scared.

I am a Texans fan, hell, I live in a state where I might be one of 10 Texans fans. I catch heat EVERYDAY from my friends and co-workers about this team and I defend them through and through. If you'd like to question my loyality go head!