Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Michigan vs Texas and ...wth? (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4896)

Ihategeeks 12-06-2004 05:24 PM

Michigan vs Texas and ...wtf?
 
Cal, what the hell happened to Cal? Texas would be a fantastic game too.

But the RoseBowl is always a Pac-10 and BigTen.

Odd.

MarleyFan 12-06-2004 06:43 PM

For Cal to make it the "Rose Bowl" meant everything to them. They have been trying to get back there since 1959. For Texas to go to the "Rose Bowl", just means there school gets more money. Thank's a lot BCS!

gwallaia 12-06-2004 06:50 PM

Mack Brown's pouting got the Horns in the Rose Bowl.

William 12-06-2004 06:58 PM

yeah I like texas but I feel that Cal got short handed I also hate the automatic bowl bid for teams like Michigan and Pitt its kinda like the NFC playoff picture alot of the teams flatout dont belogn there but what can we do.

Fiddy 12-06-2004 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwallaia
Mack Brown's pouting got the Horns in the Rose Bowl.

If I have this right and I may not but: THE BCS COMPUTERS PUT THEM IN! I dont think the computers listened to Mack Brown. From what I remember hearing or reading is that Texas only picked up five votes in the human polls...


Since Cal and Texas had the same record, I love the strength of schedule in this situation (which I think they took out of the BCS, and it was the only one to make sense): Texas opponents had a winning percentage of .545%, Calís opponents had a winning percentage of .500%. Cal plays in the PAC-freaking-10. I would love to see a Cal vs. Texas Rose Bowl, though...

Speedy 12-06-2004 11:23 PM

From what I understand, TEN coaches flipped their vote to Texas, picking Cal the previous week. Cal was ahead of UT, both teams won, Cal should have stayed ahead of Texas.

The human polls didn't work. The BcS is a freaking joke. GET A PLAYOFF SYSTEM ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!!!

goodness 12-07-2004 02:28 AM

I don't feel sorry for Cal. Try going to THREE Holiday bowls in four years WHILE being ranked in the top 10 each time.

Wolf 12-07-2004 06:46 AM

I am thinking the rose bowl probably saved Mack Browns job.

At least this season we are getting a return (rose bowl money) on a coach making millions a year. (I was hearing that he was making 2.5 milllion but not sure)

txhoosier 12-07-2004 07:21 AM

Being a Notre Dame fan by nature...I DESPISE the Michigan Wolverines. On Jan 1, I will be wearing Wolverine Blue and Gold...Texas needs to start thinking about beating OU. Then it can worry about what BCS bowl it gets.

I have lived here for 2 years now...I watch UT fans laugh and heckle while their team blows out weak competition...(North Texas this year for example), then whine and cry when facing an opponent equal to or better than they are. (OU for example). It's funny how quickly you change your tune when you are on the short end of the talent pool.

Note to UT fans...Try having a little class when your team is pounding the lesser opponents, and people won't revel in displaying a lack of class while you are getting shut out.

LonghornBabe 12-07-2004 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarleyFan
For Cal to make it the "Rose Bowl" meant everything to them. They have been trying to get back there since 1959. For Texas to go to the "Rose Bowl", just means there school gets more money. Thank's a lot BCS!

I totally disagree with you......it does mean a lot to Texas and Texas fans!

Anyone can say what they want.....I think Texas belongs there BUT that is just my opinion! I think strength of schedule SHOULD play a roll! Actually...I think the problem is the BCS. Until we have a playoff system, someone is always going to get screwed!

Quote:

Originally Posted by txhoosier
I have lived here for 2 years now...I watch UT fans laugh and heckle while their team blows out weak competition...(North Texas this year for example), then whine and cry when facing an opponent equal to or better than they are. (OU for example). It's funny how quickly you change your tune when you are on the short end of the talent pool.

Note to UT fans...Try having a little class when your team is pounding the lesser opponents, and people won't revel in displaying a lack of class while you are getting shut out.

I am sorry that you think ALL Texas fans don't have class. I support my Horns win or lose same way I do with the Texans. I don't think I am a rude of obvoxious fan at all. Believe me, I see MANY faults with the program. We did not RUN UP THE score with North Texas....shoot...none of our starters even played in the 3rd or 4th quarter. I have NEVER whined or cried about us losing to OU 5 years in row.....they outplayed us and Stoops outcoached Mack Brown. That is just the way it is!

WWJD 12-07-2004 08:06 AM

As a Longhorn and native Texan I could care less about Cal...they sure wouldn't care if we had gotten screwed over.



And college football desperately needs a playoff system but from all I've read and heard that will not happen in the immediate future.

V Man 12-07-2004 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txhoosier
Being a Notre Dame fan by nature...I DESPISE the Michigan Wolverines. On Jan 1, I will be wearing Wolverine Blue and Gold...Texas needs to start thinking about beating OU. Then it can worry about what BCS bowl it gets.

I have lived here for 2 years now...I watch UT fans laugh and heckle while their team blows out weak competition...(North Texas this year for example), then whine and cry when facing an opponent equal to or better than they are. (OU for example). It's funny how quickly you change your tune when you are on the short end of the talent pool.

Note to UT fans...Try having a little class when your team is pounding the lesser opponents, and people won't revel in displaying a lack of class while you are getting shut out.

You can say the same for Cal, beat USC and then you could have gone to the BCS, way to play Southern Miss (who is play North Texas) a real powerhouse there. I don't like the way Texas got in at the last minute, I wonder the whole year why Cal was above them, they both lost to a top 2 team, both played some cream puffs, but I thought Texas played more ranked teams throughout their schedule. I think the BCS did to save face, Texas could a realistically gone to the BCS the 2 previous years. So not to hear the ridicule of their system for having a team that is deserving not go in 3 years, and the talk that would drum up about the system not working. They decided to put Texas in and keep lining our pockets with cash (BCS officals that is).

Quote:

Originally Posted by William
yeah I like texas but I feel that Cal got short handed I also hate the automatic bowl bid for teams like Michigan and Pitt its kinda like the NFC playoff picture alot of the teams flatout dont belogn there but what can we do.

There is the problem, it needs to go to top 8 teams, no automatic bids.

txhoosier 12-07-2004 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LonghornBabe
I am sorry that you think ALL Texas fans don't have class. I support my Horns win or lose same way I do with the Texans. I don't think I am a rude of obvoxious fan at all. Believe me, I see MANY faults with the program. We did not RUN UP THE score with North Texas....shoot...none of our starters even played in the 3rd or 4th quarter. I have NEVER whined or cried about us losing to OU 5 years in row.....they outplayed us and Stoops outcoached Mack Brown. That is just the way it is!

Let me apologize for inferring that ALL UT fans are that way...I didn't mean it like that. While writing that, I was picturing the 40 or 50 morons at BW-3 in Clear Lake who were berating the North Texas guys this year.

While cycling, I have met many a Texas Ex, and other UT alum...who are quite nice. Sorry for the slight.

Fiddy 12-07-2004 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txhoosier
I have lived here for 2 years now...I watch UT fans laugh and heckle while their team blows out weak competition...(North Texas this year for example), then whine and cry when facing an opponent equal to or better than they are. (OU for example). It's funny how quickly you change your tune when you are on the short end of the talent pool.

North Texas was 7-4 this season, if you call that a weak oppenent then I wonder what you think about the 6 teams Cal faced that finished the season with a record under .500. Including the 1-10 Washington Huskies. idonno:

TEXANS84 12-07-2004 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwallaia
Mack Brown's pouting got the Horns in the Rose Bowl.

It helped, because Mack Brown has in his contract that if Texas reaches a BCS bowl....$75,000 bonus goes his way.

TexansCanes 12-07-2004 05:47 PM

Quote:

North Texas was 7-4 this season, if you call that a weak oppenent then I wonder what you think about the 6 teams Cal faced that finished the season with a record under .500. Including the 1-10 Washington Huskies.
it's not that hard to go 7-4 in the Sun Belt Conference with teams like UL Monroe, Troy, Arkansas State, Utah State, UL Lafayette, Idaho, New Mexico State, and Middle Tennesse State, and Only one other team had a winning record, which was troy. Also, Comparing North Texas and Washington isn't a fair comparision because Washington is a conference opponent much like Baylor, but you can say they play in a weak conference. The pac-10 is worse than the overrated big 8(plus medium 4). you can also say that cal played usc a lot closer than ut played ou. also mack brown is a joke, did you see him begging coaches for votes, if you could coach your team you wouldn't have to. i didn't see tefford stooping that low.

Quote:

The human polls didn't work. The BcS is a freaking joke. GET A PLAYOFF SYSTEM ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!!!
a playoff would only help this situation because it would probably get rid of the bowl system, which i think would be the worse for college football.

Quote:

yeah I like texas but I feel that Cal got short handed I also hate the automatic bowl bid for teams like Michigan and Pitt its kinda like the NFC playoff picture alot of the teams flatout dont belogn there but what can we do.
actually it is nothing like the NFC wild card picture unless you are saying that afc teams are being left out. because for it to be like the nfc wild card their would have to be a division that has four of the top six records but one can't to the playoffs because a division champ has a worse record but gets the automatic bid.

MarleyFan 12-07-2004 06:37 PM

Cal & UT's records
 
at Air Force W 56-14
New Mexico State W 41-14
at Southern Miss Ppd. --
at Oregon State W 49-7
at (1) USC L 17-23
UCLA W 45-28
at Arizona W 38-0
(21) Arizona State W 27-0
Oregon W 28-27
at Washington W 42-12
Stanford W 41-6
at Southern Miss W 26-16

UT
North Texas W 65-0
at Arkansas W 22-20
Rice W 35-13
Baylor W 44-14
at (2) Oklahoma L 0-12
Missouri W 28-20
at (23) Texas Tech W 51-21
at Colorado W 31-7
Oklahoma State W 56-35
at Kansas W 27-23
(22) Texas A&M W 26-13

axman40 12-07-2004 07:11 PM

Note to all the people who are blaming Texas,it's the BcS system that has the problem.I have heard fron the Cal coach and QB but they have not address the crappy system. Yo Rogers why did your coach not sell his team to BcS crowd?
What about Auburn? If I was An Auburn fan I would love to see my team in a playoff but NO you hear the same lame well this is the system we play by!
Hey man the system is a sick freaking joke that does not need tweaking ,it needs to be blown up!IMO! Thank You.
:bouncey:

profan 12-07-2004 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwallaia
Mack Brown's pouting got the Horns in the Rose Bowl.

Well, a 10-1 record had a little something to do with Texas getting in more than Brown's comments.

infantrycak 12-07-2004 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by profan
Well, a 10-1 record had a little something to do with Texas getting in more than Brown's comments.

That would be a good theory if the team they jumped didn't have the same record and if the team they jumped's one loss hadn't come by a narrower margin to the #1 team while Texas' one loss came to the #2 team with a bigger loss.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:27 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger