Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The National Football League (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Decline of Eddie George (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=478)

DominatorDavis 05-23-2004 07:52 PM

Decline of Eddie George
 
Over the past 4 seasons Eddie George has seen his share of difficulties. From shoulder to groin to pulled quads to turf toe injuries, his path in the NFL over his most recient seasons his been deliberating to say the least. He has also seen less and less total on-field production. Total yards have steadily dropped over the years not to mention his receptions and touchdowns. His YPC average (2.7) is the lowest it has ever been in his entire career and entering into the 2004 season George is one more year older than the last. It has been my contention for the past several years that the Titans either trade him or cut him outright but there are those in the Taitans organization loyal to Eddie for a number of particular reasons. To start, he is the only running back in the teams history to lead them to a Superbowl and is a rugged-play-through-the-pain type leader that all football teams need. Not only that Jeff Fisher just loves him - not only as a player but as an ordinary person.

My question is what should the Titans do with a "was-great" runningback who is currently over-paid for what he produces? How do you walk the fine line between loyalty and business?

Hervoyel 05-23-2004 08:45 PM

Oh that's an easy question to answer (from a Texans fan's perspective of course).

Pay him and keep paying him. I say they continue to give him top-dollar money for as long as he wants to play the game. I mean, think about what's he's done for that organization for just a moment. He's meant everything to them over the years and they all love him so much. I'd personally like to see them give him the highest paying contract a running back has ever seen and then honor that contract to the very last year of the deal (preferably something in the 7 year range just to make sure he goes out a flaming meatball of course).

Just to show him how much he means to them I'd also like to see them use their franchise tag on him every season for as long as he continues to play there whether it's needed or not. It would give him a warm feeling to know the team needs him that much.

They should hold on to him (and pass on any other great backs available in the draft) until he becomes the all time rushing leader even if it means slogging through some seasons of 1.2 yards per carry to get there and being forced to let other players at other positions go due to cap constraints. It's for Eddie after all so it's worth it.

That's what I'd like to see. If they could hang on to Steve McNair another ten or so years at top-dollar numbers to show their gratitude to him as well that would also be nice.

DominatorDavis 05-23-2004 10:02 PM

OK - that is not exactly what I was looking for Hervoyel and I understand entirely. And you've made you're point perfectly clear. However, some if not most Texans fans were at one point loyal Oiler fans and still hold an affinity to them except on Sudays verses Houston. What do you do from a Titans perspective? And how do you navigate a career respect for a guy and be pragmatic for your club at the same time? Its tough. And I think that the Titans will have to make some difficult choices in the next few months as to what to do with George. A paycut contract restructuring maybe? A heart-breaking release? Either way it will be a tough pill for him to swallow.

Wolf 05-23-2004 10:12 PM

Hopefully Eddie has a copy of "The Gambler" by Kenny Rogers. In that I mean, I hope he knows when to fold them. He is one of my favorite players in the NFL. And this is the Not For Long league, when production doesn't match the Dollar am'ts. I would rather see Eddie bow out under his terms then let managment decide for him. The Titans rode the horse hard. (like the Oilers did with Earl) I for one would like Eddie to have a very good season again (of course not against us), but this is a business and I could see the Titans releasing him and then resign him for lesser am't (like they did a couple of years ago with O'donnell)

I do think it depends on how well Chris Brown is doing and the other back they have (I can't think of his name at this moment but he is the one that used to play with St. Louis that they got a couple of years ago). I believe the worse thing the Titans did was somehow not keep a FB for him on a few of his years.

edit.. I still think Earl was the best back the titans/oilers ever had. To me George's career parallels Earl's where both backs carried the franchise for a while. I honestly don't want to see Eddie in another uniform like I had to see Earl in a Saints uniform

STEEL BLUE TEXANS 05-23-2004 10:30 PM

eddie george will likely get cut if he doesnt restructure his contract. the same reason rich gannon may be a cap casualty.

geofb 05-24-2004 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DominatorDavis
, some if not most Texans fans were at one point loyal Oiler fans and still hold an affinity to them except on Sudays verses Houston.

At one point, yes. Still hold an affinity for them? Gag me.

edo783 05-24-2004 09:50 AM

I am surprised they were willing to give him something around 2 mill. If it were me, I would be looking to give him vet. min. and use him as a backup. His tank is running on fumes. MIGHT be able to put together another half way decent year, but even that is doubtfull.

Carr Bombed 05-24-2004 01:33 PM

About a year or so ago i moved up to dallas, thank god im about to be out of this hell hole, but This does remind me of the Emmit Smith situation. I remember the whole city was heartbroken. I dont like the cowboys but i did like Emmit Smith he is a great person and a stand up guy that always stayed out of trouble and did alot of charity work, but he should of known when to quit. I guess that is the competitor in him, but instead of having the story book ending of capturing the all time rushing title and retiring a cowboy he went to arizona and broke his shoulder. Its truly sad and hopefully he does the right thing and hangs it up. As far as Eddie he needs to make the same decision. This is the dirty side of the buisness the fans cant have it both ways, they expect thier team to win each year so those difficult decisions have to be made. For old times sake Id make him like a 3rd down back considering he renegotiates his contract and if that didnt work cut him.

WWJD 05-24-2004 01:51 PM

Eddie's been a standup player. He has been great for the NFL. I don't see the Titans cutting him; I think they will make a deal to make this his last year.

Carr Bombed 05-24-2004 01:57 PM

I dont think hes willing to take a backup role though and if hes not they should cut him for the success of the team. There could be another rb that has been in eddies shadow that then has the opportunity to step up and shine

WWJD 05-24-2004 02:01 PM

Well one thing is for sure. The Titans will do what is best for the team and Eddie will either comply or move on.

Carr Bombed 05-24-2004 02:02 PM

you know i have not kept up with the titans draft picks the past years but this is exactly why i liked St Louis draft. They thought about the future and reconized that marshal faulk's best days are probably behind him so they traded up and grabed stephen jackson, out with one pro bowler insert another.

DoCt3rJ 05-24-2004 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hervoyel
Oh that's an easy question to answer (from a Texans fan's perspective of course).

Pay him and keep paying him. I say they continue to give him top-dollar money for as long as he wants to play the game. I mean, think about what's he's done for that organization for just a moment. He's meant everything to them over the years and they all love him so much. I'd personally like to see them give him the highest paying contract a running back has ever seen and then honor that contract to the very last year of the deal (preferably something in the 7 year range just to make sure he goes out a flaming meatball of course).

Just to show him how much he means to them I'd also like to see them use their franchise tag on him every season for as long as he continues to play there whether it's needed or not. It would give him a warm feeling to know the team needs him that much.

They should hold on to him (and pass on any other great backs available in the draft) until he becomes the all time rushing leader even if it means slogging through some seasons of 1.2 yards per carry to get there and being forced to let other players at other positions go due to cap constraints. It's for Eddie after all so it's worth it.

That's what I'd like to see. If they could hang on to Steve McNair another ten or so years at top-dollar numbers to show their gratitude to him as well that would also be nice.

Ok, All this gratitude crud is bs. He got payed top dollar money when he did give them the run at the superbowl and all the good things he helped them do, he got payed for it already. To pay him top dollar now when hes washed up? Crazy, release him if he don't wanna play for less, they dont NEED him anymore... Bye Eddie

J-Man 05-24-2004 03:14 PM

I think we will work a Bettis-type deal, significantly less money in order to finish his career with the Titans. I don't think it's just out of loyalty mind you...can anyone name the guy "waiting in the wings" so to speak to pick up for Eddie.
< ...crickets chirping... >
That's what I thought.

TheOgre 05-24-2004 03:21 PM

I'd give him near minimum salary with bonuses if he meets certain incentives. If he is still a workhorse and stays healthy, he is compensated. Otherwise he makes close to minimum and rides the pine.

In the NFL, you cannot afford to pay players based upon past performances. That is how teams get into cap problems. You pay for the here and now. If a top player's skills drop off, so does their pay. It may be hard to swallow, but that is they way of the business.

Carr Bombed 05-24-2004 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoCt3rJ
Ok, All this gratitude crud is bs. He got payed top dollar money when he did give them the run at the superbowl and all the good things he helped them do, he got payed for it already. To pay him top dollar now when hes washed up? Crazy, release him if he don't wanna play for less, they dont NEED him anymore... Bye Eddie

Dont you know sarcasm when you see it I really dont think Hervoyel was serious.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS 05-24-2004 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Man
I think we will work a Bettis-type deal, significantly less money in order to finish his career with the Titans. I don't think it's just out of loyalty mind you...can anyone name the guy "waiting in the wings" so to speak to pick up for Eddie.
< ...crickets chirping... >
That's what I thought.




chris brown

Wolf 05-24-2004 04:07 PM

I thought that is why Chris Brown is there ;)

J-Man 05-24-2004 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolf
I thought that is why Chris Brown is there ;)


Ok... :crazy: ...point taken!

Hervoyel 05-24-2004 06:30 PM

Correct, it was nothing more than sarcasm. The Meatballs aren't going to pay him the kind of money I was talking about and nor should they. I'd like to see them do it of course but I know it's not going to happen.

I'd be happy to see any team in our division make a stupid mistake like that and further complicate their cap situation. That doesn't mean I think it will happen, just that it'd be nice to see.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:13 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger