Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   DD's touchdown run at the end of the game. (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4703)

gwallaia 11-29-2004 01:48 PM

DD's touchdown run at the end of the game.

I just wonder ......, did Fisher tell his defense to give up the score to stop the clock? 1:47 or so was left in the game, there was no way the Titans could stop the clock. All the Texans had to do was run out the clock and win the game.

The only way for the Titans to get the ball back would be to allow the Texans to score. This would put them down by 10 with a slim shot of scoring a quick TD themselves and getting an onside kick.

It sounds weird, but I think it was a desperate move by Fisher. They were guaranteed to lose if they just watched the Texans run out the clock. By allowing DD the easy td, they had a sliver of hope of tying it up.

SBTexans08 11-29-2004 01:52 PM

Yup....clearly evident they gave up the rushing score.

TexansTrueFan 11-29-2004 01:53 PM

i thought the same thing when i saw it, but after watching houston texans inside the game yesterday and seeing the replay, i dont really think so, guys were trying to get to him our O-line just opened up such a big hole for him, its not like fishers guys just stood there they were trying to get in there, after he got past the d-line there was no secondary to stop him, cause they were stacking the line !

Porky 11-29-2004 01:54 PM

The CBS announcers mentioned that as a possibility. I rewound my TIVO about 5-6 times looking for any indicators, and although I can't say for sure, to me it looks like the Texans just manned them up, and blew them away. I didn't see any definitive signs of quitting. It's possible though. Fisher is a brilliant coach imo, and I wouldn't put it past him. Really, that was the only way for them to tie the game. Although slim, their only hope was to get the ball back, and the only way to do that was to let the Texans score. The main reason I say no, other than the visual evidence, is that most coaches don't want to coach players to give up, or lose on purpose, even for one play. It runs counter to everything they teach. Does make you wonder though. :hmmm:

Lucky 11-29-2004 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porky
The main reason I say no, other than the visual evidence, is that most coaches don't want to coach players to give up, or lose on purpose, even for one play. It runs counter to everything they teach. Does make you wonder though. :hmmm:

The players aren't that dense. They can understand the strategy behind giving up the score at 1:42 remaining vs getting the ball back with 5 seconds remaining. I think there's little question the Titans gave up the TD purposely.

SBTexans08 11-29-2004 02:07 PM

This isn't the first time I've seen a self induced opposing team score...it's not the second or third time either a "great" coach does this. Just because it looked like the Titans stacked the line means nothing IMO. Play action bootlegs makes the O-line move to one side and the opposing teams D-line follow in that same direction while the QB moves to the other.....the play is drawn up like that....to make it look like a run will be going one way when it isn't even a run. I'm not for certain he chose to give up the score in order to have a chance to tie....but Jeff Fisher is known for doing things like that. It's certainly something that can't be scratched out of possibility.

TexansTrueFan 11-29-2004 02:11 PM

oh well he still had a really good game even before that 41 yard "gimme" run so i dont care, i was still happy with his performance !

Blake 11-29-2004 02:27 PM

I think the team has more self respect than to give up a rushing TD like that. Im sure the plan was to get at the ball. Swat it, strip it, get it away from DD.

V Man 11-29-2004 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexansTrueFan
, after he got past the d-line there was no secondary to stop him, cause they were stacking the line !

That is it. They were all on the line trying to stop the run, and after you get past the line it is all open field. You see it often on short yardage runs, get past the line of scrimmage and you have a pretty big gain.

Eagle Fan 11-29-2004 02:31 PM

Seems to me that the packers did the same thing in the superbowl the first year that Denver won. It didn't work THAT time either.

TEXANS84 11-29-2004 02:33 PM

I don't think so. I mean, it was a 2nd down run. If they were going to allow a touchdown, why wouldn't they on on the 1st down?

TexansTrueFan 11-29-2004 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TEXANS84
I don't think so. I mean, it was a 2nd down run. If they were going to allow a touchdown, why wouldn't they on on the 1st down?

Good point,,,i didnt think it was a gimme anyways, but very true !

TEXANS84 11-29-2004 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexansTrueFan
Good point,,,i didnt think it was a gimme anyways, but very true !

But see, the only thing that baffles me (I forgot to TIVO it-Dang it!!) is that the two minuite warning came around the 1:47 mark. Now, did the INT take it to the two minuite mark, or was it DD's first run, or was their a timeout by TN?
Sorry, I forgot...was too busy jumping up and down in my seat.

TexansTrueFan 11-29-2004 02:48 PM

yes it was about to be the 2 minute warning cause mcnair took a timeout at like 2:06 or something, than Mcree got the int and 2 plays later Davis ran it the 41 yards and tennesse only had 1 timeout left !

ArlingtonTexan 11-29-2004 02:57 PM

I thought it were possible that Titans allowed the score, but the way the offense of the titans came out with short throw to the TE, did not show the urgency that a team allowing such a run should display.

Str8tupg42k1 11-29-2004 03:30 PM

To me it looked like the Titans stacked up the line and were looking for a pitch and DD saw a huge hole and cut back and went straight trough it. When you look at the replay you see the defenders looking clueless on the left side as to where DD was. Either way whats done is done if they gave up the score it backfired on them.

kuno 11-29-2004 03:40 PM

I think there is little doubt they gave it up. They did not do it on first down cause of the chance of a turnover, and if they did not get one they could call timeout. After that their only chance was to let the run thru.

TheOgre 11-29-2004 03:50 PM

I liked the TD because it allowed me to win my FF game. Hehe.

Seriously, I think giving up the TD would be the smart thing to do. Otherwise we run two plays and punt the ball. I think there is more chance of getting 10 points with 1:35 to play than there is to get 3 points with 5 seconds to play.

DreamCatcher 11-29-2004 03:57 PM

Either way it was a sweet moment and DD took his oppurtunity well.

TexansTrueFan 11-29-2004 04:01 PM

actually they would of had more like 20-30 seconds left if we hadnt gotten the first down, i'd rather be down by 3 with 30 secs than 10 with a 1:20 .