Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Bench Babin, play Peek, Wong @ OLB positions (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4678)

nunusguy 11-28-2004 06:45 PM

Bench Babin, play Peek, Wong @ OLB positions
 
Peek delivered the knockout punch on D today; you gotta have that playmaker on the field full time. And if he's relatively weak against the run, ok move Wong back to strongside OLB and put Peek on the weakside to maximize
his pass rushing skills. He's too much of a talent to be wasting anytime on the sidelines. He gives our D the pass rushing threat that it so desperately needs.

Errant Hothy 11-28-2004 06:47 PM

Let em quess, you didn't really watch teh game today did ya?

Vinny 11-28-2004 06:59 PM

http://www.houstontexans.com/slidesh...show112804.jpg

This was one of Babin's best games. Peek has great speed. I wouldn't bench anyone for one tackle/sack though. Babin had a lot of nice strong run stops today. We need both of them.

nunusguy 11-28-2004 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amazing Race
Babin had a good game (9 tackles, 5 solo) and he had pressure on McNair several times. Why bench him? :confused:

He done good today, but we gotta get Peek on the field - he is the pass rushing dimention that apparently none of our other backers can deliver. And
in spite of some peoples thoughts about moving Wong inside (and pulling Foreman), Wong has made it clear that he doesn't want to play ILB.

AndreJ 11-28-2004 07:07 PM

That picture above explains it all i think ur on your own on this one buddy, sure Peek is a very good pass rusher and all, but there is no way you bench Babin for Peek Babin leads the texans with Hurries on the quaterback, and for christ sake he jacked up Antoin Smith i think it was in that picture up there.

If Anything I think we should try Peek as a DE, Gary Walker is good but he's getting old and i don't beleive he has a sack on the season. He is good at stopping the run however but i think Peek would be a beasts at RE as far as pass rushing goes, he could be like Jevon Kearse. The only thing that i see would keep him from making that change would be stopping the run, but even if thats the case he could come in on Dime or maybe Nickel packages.
Until then he'll just be an above average backup.

These are just my thoughts on the situation, feel free to protest.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS 11-28-2004 07:12 PM

Peek replace Walker? LMAO! That's funny.

ccdude730 11-28-2004 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndreJ
If Anything I think we should try Peek as a DE, Gary Walker is good but he's getting old and i don't beleive he has a sack on the season.

if we ran a 4-3 then peek would be great as a DE because that is what he was drafted as. but the texans run the 3-4 and peek is an OLB. ocassionally we will run a defensive play out of the 4-3 though (havent seen one in a while from what i remember :hmmm: ) maybe someone can correct me on that.

disaacks3 11-28-2004 07:15 PM

IMO - Babin as a DE in a 3-4 just won't work. He doesn't have the size necessary for a 3-4 DE. In a 4-3, it might be possible.

ArlingtonTexan 11-28-2004 08:54 PM

My guess is that peek and Babin are the longer term answers @OLB..Babin on the Strong side and Peek on the weak...Peek probably should be in more snaps, as part of a 3 man rotation to maximize the skills of all 3.

aj. 11-28-2004 09:15 PM

Bench Babin?

Well, I guess since there aren't any "Fire Palmer Now" posts, this will have to suffice..

georgewashington 11-28-2004 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan
My guess is that peek and Babin are the longer term answers @OLB..Babin on the Strong side and Peek on the weak...Peek probably should be in more snaps, as part of a 3 man rotation to maximize the skills of all 3.

Here comes Peeks number one backer... however i think that Arlington is right. These are the two OLB's of the future. Peek may have only had one tackle and one sack today, but i believe those were both on his first play in during the game, the second play he was in he got a quarterback knockdown. Then he played maybe two other plays. The fact is that he is not being used by the team in an effective manner. Ive been saying for weeks that we need a LB rotation, keeping the players more fresh and using the talent we have. Babin did have a great game. The problem is that neither him nor Wong have done anythign bad enough to be pulled and the coaches arent getting Peek on teh field. Peek has shown the NFL that he has talent, and the crowd, because there are people yelling for him to get PT all over the stadium. If the Texans don't start using him quickly, he is going to sign with another team next year and be the next Steve Foley to this organization. If you dont use the talent you have, someone else will gladly get it and use it against us. (And even though babin picked smith up on his shoulder, smith still ended up on his feet behind babin and someone else helped to bring him down, otherwise he may have kept running)

TexansTrueFan 11-28-2004 09:39 PM

You know george i have picked on you for beign a Peek lover SO MUCH, and sad to say but i feel you've been right all along, i still like babin as well , i think with Babin and Peek in there it would be very dangerious for opposing offenses. One with mad pass rush skills and the other with good run stoipping skills,,,with a little time they would improve in both areas and be a deadly force !

wags 11-28-2004 09:52 PM

Peek is awesome on special teams. On one kickoff in the first half, he came running down the field and took out three blockers. Starling looks good on special teams too.

AndreJ 11-28-2004 10:20 PM

Quote:

And even though babin picked smith up on his shoulder, smith still ended up on his feet behind babin and someone else helped to bring him down, otherwise he may have kept running
Lol yeah i saw that too, but i wasn't going to say anything. It was still a good wrap up I guess Antoine is a big man.

TMac48 11-28-2004 10:33 PM

Peek should come in on every 3rd down thats longer than 8 yds. IMO.

Tulip 11-28-2004 10:48 PM

I was sitting in the stands, watching our defense go soft, and complaining about not seeing Peek to my eye-rolling boyfriend, when Peek comes into the game. Next play - said it all for me.

Not that I advocate benching this player or that player in favor of Peek, but he needs to be in the game in passing situations. He has this thirst for blood that no one else on the team has. We need that so badly.

AndreJ 11-28-2004 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tulip
I was sitting in the stands, watching our defense go soft, and complaining about not seeing Peek to my eye-rolling boyfriend, when Peek comes into the game. Next play - said it all for me.

Not that I advocate benching this player or that player in favor of Peek, but he needs to be in the game in passing situations. He has this thirst for blood that no one else on the team has. We need that so badly.

I agree 100%, he goes after the QB like he's a peice of red meat.

keyfro 11-28-2004 11:23 PM

babin did have a good game today against the run but he was drafted to give us a pass rush from the outside...which i might add he's done little of in the sack department...rushing the passer on the other hand he's done plenty of...he's also done plenty of trying to take the inside rush and losing contain on the qb...peek rushes the outside and stays outside...he makes the sack and rushes the passer...peek is probably just as good against the run as well...so to me peek deserves a shot at the starting role over babin for atleast one game...or maybe at the ILB over foreman

Vinny 11-28-2004 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keyfro
babin did have a good game today against the run but he was drafted to give us a pass rush from the outside...which i might add he's done little of in the sack department...rushing the passer on the other hand he's done plenty of...he's also done plenty of trying to take the inside rush and losing contain on the qb...peek rushes the outside and stays outside...he makes the sack and rushes the passer...peek is probably just as good against the run as well...so to me peek deserves a shot at the starting role over babin for atleast one game...or maybe at the ILB over foreman

Babin was drafted to play the strong side OLB that has many responsiblities other than pass rush. People who cannot see past the sack stat is missing the evolution of a pretty good player.

Grid 11-28-2004 11:38 PM

eh.. i trust the coaches in this one. Yah.. Peek seems awesome when he comes into the game.. but I remember last year dom capers was talking about how one minute Peek would be winning the game for us.. and the next he would be losing the game for us (that is not a direct qoute of course..but that is the general idea)

Peek was just making alot of mental mistakes. If the coaches.. who see him practice every week.. feel that he is not ready to be a starter.. then I trust them. I doubt that they have failed to notice peek sacking the QB.. and I doubt that they would leave him on the bench if they didnt have good reason to.

As for switching players out on passing downs.. we want Babin in there for EVERY DOWN. he is still learning and we need him in there improving his pass rushing skills. I suppose peek COULD take Wongs place.. but Wong has been having a pretty good year too.. and is our best cover OLB.

So i dunno. I would still really like to know if peek is capable of handling the ILB spot. I would have liked to see him in there instead of Polk. Of course peeks strength seems to be the outside rush.. so ILB wouldnt be as good a fit. I dunno.. maybe peek has an inside rush too?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:32 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger