Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Blazing Arrow "Rivalry Talk" (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   VY going back to school (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46571)

Silver Oak 01-27-2008 08:07 PM

VY going back to school

guess he figured the 3 R's (reading, 'riting, 'rithmetic) were useful things to learn after all.

http://www.newschannel5.com/Global/story.asp?S=7775585

bah007 01-27-2008 08:08 PM

Re: VY going back to school

His mother wants him to get a degree.

ATX 01-27-2008 08:13 PM

He might need that degree in a few years when he's out of football. Of course, he could probably get a job pretty easy in Austin.

bah007 01-27-2008 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATX (Post 832748)
He might need that degree in a few years when he's out of football. Of course, he could probably get a job pretty easy in Austin.

I'd be more worried about Reggie Bush than Vince Young.

SheTexan 01-27-2008 08:33 PM

WhO cares!!! I sure don't.

TexanSam 01-27-2008 08:36 PM

Good to hear. I don't like Vince as a football player since he plays for the Titans, but I'm happy to hear he and Michael Griffin are going back to school to get their degrees. I wish we could hear more about stories like this rather than some of the crap that goes on in sports

ATX 01-27-2008 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bah007 (Post 832751)
I'd be more worried about Reggie Bush than Vince Young.

Maybe they can start a business together......who knows.

ATX 01-27-2008 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SheTexan (Post 832758)
WhO cares!!! I sure don't.

You sure cared enough to post.......jk. :shades:

mexican_texan 01-27-2008 09:02 PM

This reminds me of an episode of My Name is Earl when Earl and Randy decided they needed to become adults and get a G.E.D. (Vince never earned a high school diploma either.)

StarStruck 01-27-2008 09:24 PM

With VY's money, I'm sure he could find a lot of things to do in his spare time than earning a degree, therefore, I applaud him for making the more constructive decision.

Silver Oak 01-27-2008 10:24 PM

based on the way he communicates and speaks right now, I don't think he spent alot of time studying English in his previous time at UT.

Mr teX 01-28-2008 10:14 AM

good for him, i'm glad he's taking steps for life after football; however near or far that may be.

Overalls 01-28-2008 12:39 PM

I think it is good that he wants to get his degree and I think it is great that he is doing it now instead of trying to figure out the Titans offense. He had enough problems with the dumbed down offense they ran this season and he is going to need all the help he can get to understand the new offense of his new offensive co. X's are defense, O's are offense. The O with the X in it is You.

:fans:

aj. 01-28-2008 12:57 PM

As a person who completed his degree in an unconventional way, I have nothing but respect for those who go back and get it - any way they can - especially in a case like this where they have (or should have) the financial means to do without it...

I doubt if its possible but hopefully he's being treated like just another undergrad by the profs. Preferential treatment to athletes while they're still in school is bad enough.

Texan_Bill 01-28-2008 01:07 PM

Not sure what the big deal is.. A lot of athletes have gone back to get their degrees... Juwan Howard and Isiah Thomas immediately come to mind. Mark Bruener.

*EDIT* Mark Bruener went back to get his Masters....

Overalls 01-28-2008 04:56 PM

I think it is good that he wants to get his degree. I have mine. I just question the timing. He is a 2nd year QB that struggled to learn a system and now that system will be changing so he will need even more time to study the new system. Even his center called him out a couple of weeks ago saying he needs to spend more time learning his job as a QB. I just think he could have waited. I really doubt he will be on the street in 2 years needing to earn a living by some other means than football. I understand that his mother may be the motivating factor in this but I think the job he has should take priority.

chicagotexan2 01-31-2008 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silver Oak (Post 832808)
based on the way he communicates and speaks right now, I don't think he spent alot of time studying English in his previous time at UT.

I agree, but with some schooling he can build up the communication skills. If the Fridge can earn money as pitch man anyone can. Doesn't matter though, he still walks on water in Austin or even here. Mattress Mac will make him Jr Veep in a heartbeat.

awtysst 02-03-2008 03:22 AM

What is he getting a degree in and how many more credits does he need?
As a person who is working on his 3rd post high school degree I say congrats!!!

chicagotexan2 02-05-2008 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by awtysst (Post 837230)
What is he getting a degree in and how many more credits does he need?
As a person who is working on his 3rd post high school degree I say congrats!!!

Shouldn't you be posting on Mensafanatics.com?

hadaad 02-05-2008 04:11 PM

If it doesn't interfere with his regular job, then more power to him. But if he's missing out on OTAs with his new offensive coordinator, or skipping out early on practice to catch up on his homework, then it's selfish and detrimental to the team.

There are many non-football years ahead for Young. He's committed, and very well-paid, to have his focus and his time devoted to helping the Tennessee Titans succeed. If he's not doing that, then it's selfish, whether his mom wants him to do it or not.