Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Edgerrin James A TEXAN NEXT YEAR.....AJ read please (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4544)

Texans Pride 11-22-2004 09:34 PM

Edgerrin James A TEXAN NEXT YEAR.....AJ read please

Ok so I am just asking what you all think..

I think I heard on Total Access today that James would be an unrestricted free agent next year...

1. Is there ANY chance Casserly would be interested
2. Would he be a good fit for us
3. Could we afford him

Let me know yalls thoughts...My ears sure tuned in when i heard that!

AJ I wanted your thoughts because you seem to have a good read on these things....Can always count on you for good info

aj. 11-22-2004 09:36 PM

The short answer is no, no and no.

I'll be very surprised if Edge is not in South Beach next year.

It makes no sense to throw multi millions at a RB with that kind of mileage.

kuno 11-22-2004 10:21 PM

I dont think it will happen. The Texans are not going to give up on DD.

shinerbock_girl 11-22-2004 10:37 PM

Actually i like EJ....sometimes change is good.... :banana:

Hervoyel 11-22-2004 10:52 PM

I don't particularly want to see the Texans pursue James. I'd much rather see them target a back in the draft.

TEXANS84 11-23-2004 01:09 AM

Id be happy with Derick Blaylock, or Travis Henry if the price is right. EJ is gonna cost way too much money.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS 11-23-2004 02:55 AM

Edge will be a Dolphin next season

Dunta_Fan_23 11-23-2004 08:54 AM

Any running back is better than what we got right now...

:c)

pittbull 11-23-2004 09:15 AM

Inside track...

Have a friend who is close with James & his family in Indy!!! Although he would like to be in South Florida, he also likes to win. Which ever team, in a warm weather climate, gives him the best chance of winning, look to see James. Miami, down and out. Atlanta, no money, Jags, Fred Taylor, Dallas, JJ. But, what we have to remember, Indy is not out of the race, and according to family, their local papers and owner, look for Manning to restructure his deal to try to keep "The Edge" there, along with Marvin Harrison, but don't count out the Texans. He knows the division, can play on grass to help with injuries, warm climate, up and (coming)should be team, could be the same style of offense as indy, explosive, and a blocking scheme that can work more to his advantage. Overall, he has tons more patients that DD hitting the holes! :hmmm:

georgewashington 11-23-2004 09:53 AM

That would be nice to get the edge but i dont see it happening. he is going to stay where he is productive, and peyton will restructure. This team needs a bruiser for a running back, a second coming of THE BUS. That will give the team what it needs to open up the passing, the bus could pound it in, but also had some speed to get down field. This team should be a passing team, forget the total balance, carr is a gun slinger adn with receivers like AJ, Bradford, and Armstrong, mix in a TE and this is could be the greatest show on GRASS. They need a back that can carry the ball on 1/3 of the plays, not 1/2, and one that can receive. We need another bus or another marshall faulk.

TheOgre 11-23-2004 10:03 AM

You know the old Oilers song? That happens to be the Dolphins song too.

MIAMI DOLPHINS. MIAMI DOLPHINS. MIAMI DOLPHINS NUMBER 1.

That is EJ's next destination.

edo783 11-23-2004 12:00 PM

EJ would most likely be too expensive for us to concider, but if the oportunity does present, not a totally bad thought. Personally, I like the idea of a younger, big back with some speed that can pound it and break it every once in a while. Backs have such short shelf lives, I would hate to see us tie up a boat load of cap money for a mid to late career back.

dan7 11-23-2004 12:03 PM

Does anyone know how much cap room the Texans have to pursue potential free agents next year?

pittbull 11-23-2004 03:03 PM

No Gw!!!

The Bus is a great guy, hung out with him in PGH a few times, but not as a running back. You think games are boring in the second half now, just wait until you have a 250lbs RB..................... :whew

georgewashington 11-23-2004 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pittbull
The Bus is a great guy, hung out with him in PGH a few times, but not as a running back. You think games are boring in the second half now, just wait until you have a 250lbs RB..................... :whew

The BUS isnt a good running back? What is he number 3 or 5 all time in rushing yards? Three games he started this year he has over 100 yards in each game? I would say that a person with his running style would be effective for the texans. no one said to get the bus, but someone bus like. You are crazy if you would day that he isnt a good running back, adn he is actually even better in the second half where he can bulldoze through the tired LB's.

Youngstown Colt 11-23-2004 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by georgewashington
The BUS isnt a good running back? What is he number 3 or 5 all time in rushing yards? Three games he started this year he has over 100 yards in each game? I would say that a person with his running style would be effective for the texans. no one said to get the bus, but someone bus like. You are crazy if you would day that he isnt a good running back, adn he is actually even better in the second half where he can bulldoze through the tired LB's.

jerome is behind a very good, and finally healthy, offensive line. thats why hes so productive. as for him being top 5 in the nfl in rushing, hes a stat piler. the number is impressive when you see it, but when you look at the quality of those yards, its not nearly as impressive

El_DudeArino 11-23-2004 04:19 PM

Indy

I can't see Indy letting him go, then what will they do??

Youngstown Colt 11-23-2004 04:20 PM

oh yeah, and you guys cant have EJ. bill polian said he will resign marvin and edge, and miami is a horrible situation for him to go to.

georgewashington 11-23-2004 04:25 PM

I would take a back that can average 4 yards a carry over a career any day, a player that can have 8 1000+ yard seasons, including a 1300+, 2 1400+ and a 1600+ years. The whole need of this team is a back that is going to be able to pick up 4 or 5 yards on 1st down or second down so that if we get to 3rd down its short yardage which opens up the play book. It keeps the linebackers honest. And it takes more than one guy to bring him down. I would say those stats are pretty impressive. And he has also been pretty good at receiving, averaging 7+ yards a catch over 12 years isnt bad for a RB. The texans could be so lucky to get a productive back that will open up the passing game by keeping the defense honest.

TheOgre 11-23-2004 04:35 PM

The problem is that Indy cannot afford Marvin Harrison AND Edgerrin James next year. Harrison is one of the top 3-4 WR's in the league. James is a good back but not one of the top 3-4. It is easier to find a good RB than a top 5 WR. Plus RB's usually don't require much time to develop, whereas WR can be one of the slower developing positions on the team.