Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   The Two Worst Stats to Lead the NFL in (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45009)

Hardcore Texan 12-07-2007 03:14 PM

The Two Worst Stats to Lead the NFL in

and currently held by your Houston Texans:

1. 17 Players on IR

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5360662.html

2. Most turnovers in the entire league

(searching for link for this one)

Just thought I would spread the joy. We have to re-group and try to finish strong but this year has been harsh. I hope we can get most everyone healthy by next year. I have no clue why we can't protect the ball any better. That needs to be fixed by the end of the year regardless.

Insideop 12-07-2007 03:36 PM

Re: The Two Worst Stats to Lead the NFL in

I'm pretty sure we led the NFL last year too for players on IR. Can anyone verify that?

Anyway, it's a sad commentary for our team to be leading in both those stats and very disappointing. JMHO!

whiskeyrbl 12-07-2007 03:37 PM

We did and I think it was 17 on IR last year.

Andrew6 12-07-2007 03:38 PM

so... does that mean our teams is full of softies? Or does that mean our team just plays with that much steam that their bodies take such a beating. Or do we pick up the worst players in FA. or . . .

Texan_Bill 12-07-2007 03:39 PM

I said this in another thread.... Maybe we should take a look at our strength and conditioning coach... :bat:

ATX 12-07-2007 04:00 PM

The worst stat to lead is in losses......we all know who leads in that column.

austintexanite 12-07-2007 04:08 PM

:crutch: :eek:

Overalls 12-07-2007 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texan_Bill (Post 798105)
I said this in another thread.... Maybe we should take a look at our strength and conditioning coach... :bat:

I agree. We have come close to leading the league in players put on IR almost every year.

:fans:

drewmar74 12-07-2007 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overalls (Post 798161)
I agree. We have come close to leading the league in players put on IR almost every year.

:fans:

I'll put an "amen" to your "yea."

All teams will have injuries.

All teams will have bad years for injuries.

But when a team consistently loses players to injury, can't get them back on the field, and ends up IR'ing them, it might be time to revisit what you are doing in the offseason.

kiwitexansfan 12-07-2007 09:34 PM

Injuries happen, you have to work around those.

The turnover issue is a huge one, we will never be a contender if we keep turning the ball over.... especially when don't take the ball away.

mexican_texan 12-07-2007 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan (Post 798084)
and currently held by your Houston Texans:

1. 17 Players on IR

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5360662.html

2. Most turnovers in the entire league

(searching for link for this one)

Just thought I would spread the joy. We have to re-group and try to finish strong but this year has been harsh. I hope we can get most everyone healthy by next year. I have no clue why we can't protect the ball any better. That needs to be fixed by the end of the year regardless.

OT, Round Rock stadium is the best stadium I've been in, besides Reliant. The press box is by far the best I've been in.

Malloy 12-08-2007 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atxcoolguy (Post 798119)
The worst stat to lead is in losses......we all know who leads in that column.

I was thinking the W-L thingie too.

TheRealJoker 12-08-2007 05:11 AM

Does this fall more on the S&C coach or the training staff?

I would like to place the blame on whoever feeds us false information after a player gets injured..."____ is fine, just a sore knee" right before he gets put on IR and or released/retired.

BattleRedToro 12-08-2007 07:33 AM

Initially I thought that leading the league in players on the IR was an indication that the Texans had a bad Strength and Conditioning coach, but then I thought that maybe the injuries are actually caused by poor play. In other words players are so out of position during a play that they end up running into each other and thus becoming injured. I'm not sure what can be done about that.

Yankee_In_TX 12-08-2007 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew6 (Post 798104)
so... does that mean our teams is full of softies? Or does that mean our team just plays with that much steam that their bodies take such a beating. Or do we pick up the worst players in FA. or . . .

No, it means we're a bad team. Chicken and Egg. Bad team-->injuries-->Bad team-->injuries

And at the end of the season, we have about 3 new needs in addition to our 3 previous needs. Say we fill 3, well, we start off the next year a bad team, and...

Texans34Life 12-08-2007 10:05 AM

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/nfl/take-give.htm

http://i15.tinypic.com/6wpt508.jpg

I think according to the graph, we have the most turnovers in the NFL. Baltimore is very close....

Damn, we're also 2nd in the league in lost fumbles. :embarrass

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/statis...on=2&year=2007

http://i12.tinypic.com/716wtx4.jpg

BSPN shows our defense evens out our offensive miscues.

Chance_C 12-08-2007 10:39 AM

Quote:

I said this in another thread.... Maybe we should take a look at our strength and conditioning coach...
Ibar??..:cool:

drewmar74 12-08-2007 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BattleRedToro (Post 798347)
Initially I thought that leading the league in players on the IR was an indication that the Texans had a bad Strength and Conditioning coach, but then I thought that maybe the injuries are actually caused by poor play. In other words players are so out of position during a play that they end up running into each other and thus becoming injured. I'm not sure what can be done about that.

Fire all of the coaches, waterboys, janitors, and receptionists. Flatten all of their houses and spread salt on the lots. Terminate all of the contracts of current players. Flatten their houses too.

Ultimately, just start everything over from scratch.

Or, just bring in Dan Reeves to take a look at the operation and make some recommendations on the coaching staff as well as the off-season strength and conditioning program.

*sigh*

I'm just a fan. I don't know much except that there is only so much talent to go around in the NFL. You've got some premier talent on some premier teams (maybe 6 of 32 teams) and most everyone else (say 26 of 32 teams) is reasonably equal in terms of depth and talent. Yes, I know that I'm painting with a very broad brush here.

So, if you're not a premier team in any given year, what makes the difference? What gets you over the hump? Staying healthy and keeping what talent you do have on the field and not turning the ball over. How do you do that?

Injuries during the season are unavoidable, but based on the amount of injuries that we have, I think that the organization needs to re-evaluate what they are doing in the offseason. Maybe everything is great with our s&c prgram and the injuries are just unfortunate circumstance. But maybe there is room for improvement on either helping to prevent some injuries or in getting some players back on the field faster.

IMO, turnovers are one of those things that coaching can help to offset. I think that we need some help in our coaching department. Our offense is blah. Our defense is vanilla. If there is only so much talent out there, you have to be able to coach up what talent you do have. So far, I think that this coaching staff has done the opposite and that (particularly on defense) the defense has been coached down BELOW what their talent would indicate that they are capable of.

Which ties in with what BRT said - perhaps the coaches (in addition to not getting the guys ready in the offseason) aren't coaching the players well enough to keep them out of bad positions to keep from getting injured....

*disclaimer: the post above is strictly loose opinion and the author does not consider himself an authority on much of anything other than perhaps how to keep from cursing in front of his children during a Texans loss.*

Second Honeymoon 12-08-2007 12:36 PM

maybe they get hurt and injured so much because other teams arent afraid to lay the wood to our guys because they know we won't do anything back to them. After all, Kubiak says that 'we don't play that type of football'.....

....yeah we dont play a lot of types of football...most importantly....WINNING FOOTBALL

Rex King 12-08-2007 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewmar74 (Post 798188)
But when a team consistently loses players to injury, can't get them back on the field, and ends up IR'ing them, it might be time to revisit what you are doing in the offseason.

They did, but maybe they didn't look hard enough. Some of the injuries we've had are freak accidents - Spencer & Dunta (friendly fire), Schaub - but the majority are kind of murky to me. Mathis for one. Harrison for another - he was here how long before getting IR'ed?

With Schaub, we'd be up to 20. No one else in the league is even close to that - they range from 2 (damn lucky Cowpokes!) to 13. I think we were near the top of the league last year as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texans34Life (Post 798364)
http://i12.tinypic.com/716wtx4.jpg

BSPN shows our defense evens out our offensive miscues.

Someone there didn't do their rithmatic - that should be -10 in turnovers differential.