Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Mario Williams (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44840)

stingray 12-02-2007 03:47 PM

Mario Williams

I have before been negative on Mario. But I always said that he had huge talent and he was young. His progress just gets better. He played a hell of a game today. He is getting more consistent and is playing with some passion. Hope he keeps it up.

adam 12-02-2007 03:48 PM

Re: Mario Williams

I'll toast to that. Watching Mario Williams lay into Vince Young a time or two made watching the game much better than it should have been.

nero THE zero 12-02-2007 03:49 PM

Mario probably played the best game out of any Texan today.

He has 4.5 sacks and 2 FF in the past 3 games. It's looking good for him.

Dread-Head 12-02-2007 03:50 PM

Two and a half sacks on VY today. I said it when they chose him and I'll repeat it. We picked the right guy.

brakos82 12-02-2007 03:52 PM

Call him a bust, and he'll sack you. Prety simple equation.

OzzO 12-02-2007 03:52 PM

Not sure if y'all saw in the game thread, but on 610 it noted that he holds the Texans record now for single season sacks at 8.5

TheIronDuke 12-02-2007 03:55 PM

His numbers look pretty good, I said on another thread that I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the Pro Bowl this year.

YellerLotYeller 12-02-2007 03:59 PM

He was the only bright spot today......

Austrian 12-02-2007 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OzzO (Post 794534)
Not sure if y'all saw in the game thread, but on 610 it noted that he holds the Texans record now for single season sacks at 8.5

Yep previous record was held by Jeff Posey (2002) with 8 sacks.

The Dream 12-02-2007 04:01 PM

mario is still "meh"...I'm not fooled by the numbers...most weeks he's non existent.....he got fortunate to be in the right place at the right time on a couple of plays today.....drafting him was still a mistake.........VY > Mario.

run-david-run 12-02-2007 04:05 PM

7 tackles and 2.5 sacks. Mario has 8.5 of our 20 sacks on the season, great for him, terrible for the rest of the team. Okoye has disapeared after a bright start, and I think we only have 1 sack from a defensive end other then Mario. Weaver is holding us back in the pass rush. Mario needs to stay at LDE permenantly and we need to add a speed rusher at RDE capable of getting pressure. TJ and Okoye could turn out to be a great DT combination, but the final piece needs to be added. The positive part of this equation is that you can find a Mark Anderson type DE in the second day of the draft.

Mike Kerns 12-02-2007 04:06 PM

Thats 4.5 sacks in the last three weeks. Thats Defensive player of the Month material right there. The one bright spot the last two weeks has been Mario. Glad to see that the Mario pickisnt beingas ridiculed around the nation anymore with Vince & Reggie having subpar sophomore seasons. I said that we wont know if this was the right pick for 3 to 5 years...

run-david-run 12-02-2007 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YellerLotYeller (Post 794548)
He was the only bright spot today......

The running game was very effective again. Bennet seems to be holding his own at corner against the other team's #1. AJ seems to be healthy, and most of the pressure on Sage came from the middle and the left, meaning Winston is doing well at RT. If JJ had held on, we had a great chance to win. "If only" is hard to take and doesn't really get you anywhere, but this team is getting better. It won't be this season, but we will be heard from in the AFC South IF we make good personel decisions (players and new coaches) this offseason.

BSofA04 12-02-2007 04:13 PM

Yep, it's hard for the VY lovers to beat up on Williams after his performance this season...especially after today. Hopefully he stays here after his contract is up, he's been our most consistent d lineman. Okoye, Weaver......where are you?!

Mike Kerns 12-02-2007 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BSofA04 (Post 794574)
Yep, it's hard for the VY lovers to beat up on Williams after his performance this season...especially after today. Hopefully he stays here after his contract is up, he's been our most consistent d lineman. Okoye, Weaver......where are you?!

I couldnt be more unsatisfied with Anthony Weaver. Has that guy done anything productive since coming here? At times, I forget he is even on the team!

Allstar 12-02-2007 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BSofA04 (Post 794574)

I don't think it's not common for #1 overall picks to go to different teams when their contract is up unless they are either 1) a bust, or 2) their skills are diminishing with old age.

junior 12-02-2007 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frak The Jags (Post 794561)
Thats 4.5 in sacks the last three weeks. Thats Defensive player of the Month material right there. The one bright spot the last two weeks has been Mario. Glad to see that the Mario pickisnt beingas ridiculed around the nation anymore with Vince & Reggie having subpar sophomore seasons. I said that we wont know if this was the right pick for 3 to 5 years...

unfortunately the guy from seattle had back to back 3 sack games but he should be top 5 afc in sacks after this week and maybe top3 in afc at seasons end.

if someone told me williams would be that high this year i would have thought they were crazy. great stuff mario you deserve praise right now.

so all those who talked of bust at the beginning of the season we need to hear from you now.

TexansFanatic 12-02-2007 04:24 PM

Thank God. He's not a bust after all. He's well on his way to double-digit sacks. Maybe even 12 or so. That's more than solid.

nut 12-02-2007 04:26 PM

Mario had an excellent game.

BSofA04 12-02-2007 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allstars (Post 794587)
I don't think it's not common for #1 overall picks to go to different teams when their contract is up unless they are either 1) a bust, or 2) their skills are diminishing with old age.

My fear is that all the VY love in Houston and the semi-hate for Williams could drive him out of town. Of course that's worse case scenerio, but he deserves some credit for his performance. Unfortunantly, we have the fat-ass McClain and Richard Justice who live to worship VY. They really should give Mario some credit, it's unreal.