Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Texans and Titans: the numbers (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44784)

Thorn 11-29-2007 05:53 PM

Texans and Titans: the numbers

ESPN ranks us at 17th after last week, which is about right. I would say we belong somewhere in the middle of the pack as far as NFL teams go. They rank the Titans at 12th.

So, on to the numbers for this week.

Offense

Texans 347 ypg, 91 rushing ypg, 256 passing ypg, 22 points pg
Titans 309 ypg, 132 rushing ypg, 177 passing ypg, 18 points pg

Defense

Texans 333 ypg, 119 rushing ypg, 214 passing ypg, 23 points pg
Titans 292 ypg, 91 rushing ypg, 200 passing ypg, 20 points pg

It looks like they can run on us and we can pass on them. The Texans score four more points a game than the Titans do, but we give up three more points a game than they do. On paper, we have a very slight edge. They have the home field advantage.

We need to take this game. As Captain Kirk would say, I need you, badly.

brakos82 11-29-2007 05:55 PM

Re: Texans and Titans: the numbers

Free Kaptin Kirk! :user:

Rex King 11-29-2007 08:46 PM

It'll come down to - oh no! - turnovers again. They give it away a lot like we do. Interestingly, of our 14 fumbles, only 4 have been on rushes.

Malloy 11-30-2007 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rex King (Post 792477)
It'll come down to - oh no! - turnovers again. They give it away a lot like we do. Interestingly, of our 14 fumbles, only 4 have been on rushes.

Ron Dayne for President!! :)

adam 11-30-2007 08:29 AM

I actually like our chances against Young more than I did against Collins. Young is a turnover machine. If we execute (which we probably wont), our defense should have some fun with him.

Chance_C 11-30-2007 10:14 AM

How many times did we turn the ball over to them last time.....6? It's a wonder that we even had a chance in that game. Protect the football, and I like our chances against alot of teams. Gonna be hard to run up the gut this weekend that's for sure. I think the line favors the Titans by 4, and that's about right considering we are playing there.

Speedy 11-30-2007 08:16 PM

The Texans have turned the ball over ELEVEN times in the last 3 games against the Titans.

SA Texan 11-30-2007 08:23 PM

It's going to be tough trying to run the ball if Haynesworth comes back this week. They are a completely different team with him on the field.

Bipolar The Titan 12-01-2007 12:50 AM

I post a lot on other forums. I've started a thread on the Titans-Texans at goTitans.com, your f2fa sister forum.

http://www.gotitans.com/goForum/showthread.php?t=33136

Look, I know Houston has issues. I expect an ugly game. I think the Cows are due and I've even picked Houston in the pick'em thread. I'm desperate to move up the standings and I honestly think between Young, his targets, our defense and the kentucky fried chicken grease on LenDale White's fingers...

to Blazing Arrow's dismay...

I am picking Houston to win.

but I reserve the right to return and laugh in your face if I'm wrong.
but I probably wouldn't do that.

as sweet as the last game in Houston was save the fourth quarter... I still didn't pour salt in the wound... but I reserve the right just the same.

:heart:

El Amigo Invisible 12-01-2007 01:38 AM

Take off hoser

Bipolar The Titan 12-01-2007 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Amigo Invisible (Post 793195)
Take off hoser

way to represent. I know for a fact that there are plenty of cool people on these boards but that kind of infantile response to an otherwise friendly post just makes this whole community as a whole look poor. I've read the boards here enough to know different and if your team was any better on Sunday than it is I'd spend more time here.

Trust me, there is nothing that I would like better than to be atop the division with, I don't know, a (7-4) Texans team holding down 2nd place nipping at our heels and vying for a wild card slot. Just because it hasn't happened doesn't mean it can't ever happen but just the same I am sick of the superiority of the Colts and am very concerned at the reemergence of the Jacksonville Jaguars.

It really waters down any strides the Texans or the Titans have made over the past season or two. Still, despite that, it makes you no less of an asshat with that doushe-like response Nacho Grande. Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time.

adam 12-01-2007 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bipolar The Titan (Post 793232)
way to represent. I know for a fact that there are plenty of cool people on these boards but that kind of infantile response to an otherwise friendly post just makes this whole community as a whole look poor. I've read the boards here enough to know different and if your team was any better on Sunday than it is I'd spend more time here.

Trust me, there is nothing that I would like better than to be atop the division with, I don't know, a (7-4) Texans team holding down 2nd place nipping at our heels and vying for a wild card slot. Just because it hasn't happened doesn't mean it can't ever happen but just the same I am sick of the superiority of the Colts and am very concerned at the reemergence of the Jacksonville Jaguars.

It really waters down any strides the Texans or the Titans have made over the past season or two. Still, despite that, it makes you no less of an asshat with that doushe-like response Nacho Grande. Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time.

Well said. Despite the fact that I would say that your team is among my least favorites in the NFL (mainly because I grew up loving the Oilers), I always appreciate it when an intelligent fan of another team can come to the board and join in on some friendly football conversation. In that spirit, I'd like the welcome you aboard and encourage that everyone else do the same.

Bipolar The Titan 12-01-2007 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adam (Post 793240)
Well said. Despite the fact that I would say that your team is among my least favorites in the NFL (mainly because I grew up loving the Oilers), I always appreciate it when an intelligent fan of another team can come to the board and join in on some friendly football conversation. In that spirit, I'd like the welcome you aboard and encourage that everyone else do the same.

That's fine. I have absolutely no qualms with you guys disliking the Titans like that. If the roles were reversed and I was in your shoes I would feel exactly the same. Thanks for the welcome but I'd like to mention that I'm not exactly a stranger to these parts. I had a posting history on the previous incarnation of this forum. I'm a bit more active here now because of the software. I like the vBulliten a whole lot better than Invision. This mb funtions just like many that I prefer including Broncosfreak, GoTitans, Coltfreaks, Patriots Planet, ClanRam, JetsInsider, just to name a few.

Anyways... back to topic, there is one x-factor that will decide the outcome of this game. It's not #10 either. It's the big man in the middle, Albert Haynesworth. I'm just not convinced that he is 100 percent. I want to hope he is but I fear that he will exit the game late in the 2nd quarter. In my scenario I see the Titans with either a 7 or 10 pt halftime lead, but in true Jim Schwartz fashion I see it slipping away. Factor in the automatic 2 int. Vince Young outing Houston will be driving the ball in the final two minutes. Tennessee will likely be the victim of a last second fg try but this time I do not imagine that history will repeat itself. That is of course in reference to that joke of a fg try that flop-hooked no good in 2005.

TexansLucky13 12-01-2007 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adam (Post 792652)
I actually like our chances against Young more than I did against Collins. Young is a turnover machine. If we execute (which we probably wont), our defense should have some fun with him.

Agreed. I love our chances against Mr. Invincible.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bipolar The Titan (Post 793243)
Anyways... back to topic, there is one x-factor that will decide the outcome of this game. It's not #10 either. It's the big man in the middle, Albert Haynesworth. I'm just not convinced that he is 100 percent. I want to hope he is but I fear that he will exit the game late in the 2nd quarter.

Agreed on the Haynesworth thing. The Tacks defense looks terrible when he is on the sidelines. I guess a little pressure up front goes a long way, huh? We really wouldn't know.

Bipolar The Titan 12-01-2007 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexansLucky13 (Post 793247)
Agreed. I love our chances against Mr. Invincible.

Agreed on the Haynesworth thing. The Tacks defense looks terrible when he is on the sidelines. I guess a little pressure up front goes a long way, huh? We really wouldn't know.

He is the linchpin in the schematics of the defense. Haynesworth is not there to make sacks, pressures or hurries. He is there to penetrate and cause disruption and wreak general havoc. The idea is for him two draw maybe three defenders, whatever it takes... that frees Laboy and Vanden Bosch to make a play in the back field. It's just so crippling when he is out because an average DT will draw average coverage... it just screws everything up.

I really think Al isn't in game shape. It's just a feeling. He hasn't been the hardest worker over his career and he hasn't been on the practice field much so that is an automatic red flag. I'm still waiting for Vince Young 2.0 to emerge. I think it's a sophomore slump but I totally believe in the guy. I just don't know how much longer it will take for things to click.

Also, despite conventional wisdom I'd like to see a system change in Tennessee. Norm Chow has a fine system I guess but Vince is not his kind of player and never will be. Vince isn't going to change enough and Norm is too stubborn or reluctant, I am unsure of which... bottom line... with Norm Chow Tennessee is better off with Jay Cutler. We could have traded down in the draft and picked up something and still got Cutler.

I still prefer Young but Tennessee needs to try to go to something that is a bit like the run and shoot but with the necessary changes for the modern day game. There would need to be more blitz protection but still more spread stuff... and slightly shorter routes but not this hook and ladder crap Chow does. Contrary to popular belief Vince Young is not a moron. Often he throws a perfect throw to to the perfect spot but the receiver got it wrong and broke left when it should have been right or something.

Chows offense is an offense that relies on timing. The Titans wr's make Young look alot worse than he actually is. Young has a great future in store. I only wish that there was some way to bring Mike Heimerdinger back.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Heimerdinger
Quote:

From 2000 to 2004, he was the offensive coordinator for the Tennessee Titans
I had to dig deep but I found this little nugget in archives.

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,605152235,00.html

Quote:

Titans coach Jeff Fisher didn't switch coordinators to juice up the offense. In five seasons under Mike Heimerdinger, the Titans ranked among the league's top-11 offenses in 2001, 2003 and 2004, and McNair shared the MVP award in 2003.

But Heimerdinger, who hopes to be a head coach some day, was lured away by the Jets for more money and the New York spotlight.
Licks his wounds and went back to Daddy Shanahan. I wish we would have just fired Chow and hired Dinger back on the spot at a significant pay increase.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....711160428/1027
^This is a VERY interesting read seeing that we are in the same coaching tree and all.
Quote:

He hired Mike Heimerdinger, the Broncos receivers coach and a close friend of Shanahan, to be Titans offensive coordinator in 2000. Now Heimerdinger is back in Denver, where he's assistant head coach on offense as well as quarterbacks coach.
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f9...hing_Trees.gif
I would trade Jeff Fisher for Gregg Williams and Mike Heimerdinger.:cool:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregg_Williams

Seriously. Titans let Fisher go... get Bill Cowher, Gregg Williams and Mike Heimerdinger and I would be all good not having Fisher anymore. I love Fisher. I am a Fisher guy but this is one scenario that could pacify me as a fan.:d:

FILO_girl 12-01-2007 08:04 PM

Wow, a non trollish post from Bipolar...
Has hell froze over? :shades:

Good read....geez that hurt. :whip:

What is up with dissin' on Fisher? I thought all Titan fans wanted to have his children?

Lucky 12-02-2007 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bipolar The Titan (Post 793273)
Seriously. Titans let Fisher go... get Bill Cowher...

ROTFLMAO at the ridiculous suggestion that Cowher would consider working for Bud Adams.

Seriously.