Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Did you know... (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44767)

Errant Hothy 11-29-2007 11:41 AM

Did you know...
 
...that the Texnas are 30th in the NFl for sacks with a massive 16?

...that the Texans are tied for 22nd with 10 INTs?

...that the Texans are tied for 6th with 16 FFs?

...that the Texans are 25th in the NFL giving up 23.9 points per game?

...tha the Texans are tied are 25th in points allowed at 263?

Just some randomness I came across while digging through the stat section at the NFL's website.

Hagar 11-29-2007 12:54 PM

Re: Did you know...
 
Uh, hate to do this but are these offensive or defensive numbers?

Have we given up 16 sacks on offense or forced 16 sacks on defense?

Errant Hothy 11-29-2007 01:17 PM

Re: Did you know...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hagar (Post 792121)
Uh, hate to do this but are these offensive or defensive numbers?

Have we given up 16 sacks on offense or forced 16 sacks on defense?

Those are all defensive numbers, as in we've sacked the opposing QB 16 times.

Oddly enough Houston QBs have been sacked 16 times as well.

austintexanite 11-29-2007 02:05 PM

Re: Did you know...
 
16 is pretty bad....more blitzes.

gtexan02 11-29-2007 02:16 PM

Re: Did you know...
 
Wow, what does years and years in a row of drafting physical specimens who aren't good football players do? 16 sacks after 11 games

ChrisG 11-29-2007 02:18 PM

Re: Did you know...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by gtexan02 (Post 792199)
Wow, what does years and years in a row of drafting physical specimens who aren't good football players do? 16 sacks after 11 games

that is what happens when we blitz 2 times a game

Double Barrel 11-29-2007 02:24 PM

Re: Did you know...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by austintexanite (Post 792191)
16 is pretty bad....more blitzes.

Or a front four that can actually beat their man from time to time to put pressure on the pocket. Our line lacks a certain 'killer instinct'. Physical talent is great, but a motivating fire in the heart is what really takes good players and makes them great.

They are still young, though, so I've got hope that they can figure it out. We would not need to depend on blitzes - thus exposing our weak secondary - if our line just did their jobs.

austintexanite 11-29-2007 02:37 PM

Re: Did you know...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Double Barrel (Post 792211)
Or a front four that can actually beat their man from time to time to put pressure on the pocket. Our line lacks a certain 'killer instinct'. Physical talent is great, but a motivating fire in the heart is what really takes good players and makes them great.

They are still young, though, so I've got hope that they can figure it out. We would not need to depend on blitzes - thus exposing our weak secondary - if our line just did their jobs.

I'm not saying to go blitz crazy and expose our secondary, but I am saying that we do need to blitz more than a handful times a game. Travis looks like he is finally starting to develop well, and Mario/Amobi have been getting better. However, Amobi looks like he is starting to get worn down by the length of the season. Weaver has been solid at run support but need more than just Mario getting to the qb. I agree that we have great upside, but a little more blitzing would keep other teams on their toes, rather than them knowing that we run a vanilla defense.

Double Barrel 11-29-2007 02:51 PM

Re: Did you know...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by austintexanite (Post 792221)
I'm not saying to go blitz crazy and expose our secondary, but I am saying that we do need to blitz more than a handful times a game. Travis looks like he is finally starting to develop well, and Mario/Amobi have been getting better. However, Amobi looks like he is starting to get worn down by the length of the season. Weaver has been solid at run support but need more than just Mario getting to the qb. I agree that we have great upside, but a little more blitzing would keep other teams on their toes, rather than them knowing that we run a vanilla defense.

Oh, I agree. I'm a big fan of blitzing defenses, but it takes a really smart coach to do it right. Our blitzes never seem to surprise anyone (well, except that DeMeco hit on Kerry Collins), and there seems to be a vanilla approach to our playcalling, IMO. It never appears that we exploit our opponent's weaknesses...but maybe we just don't have the personnel for it, too.

HOU-TEX 11-29-2007 03:01 PM

Re: Did you know...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Double Barrel (Post 792236)
Oh, I agree. I'm a big fan of blitzing defenses, but it takes a really smart coach to do it right. Our blitzes never seem to surprise anyone (well, except that DeMeco hit on Kerry Collins), and there seems to be a vanilla approach to our playcalling, IMO. It never appears that we exploit our opponent's weaknesses...but maybe we just don't have the personnel for it, too.

I agree. Although we might not have the secondary personel to cover man to man, I do believe we have the talent in the front seven to accomplish a blitz. I think you hit the nail on the head by saying "it takes a really smart coach to do it right". I don't think Richard is dumb, but he's definetely overwhelmed by the position he's in by lack of experience.

BTW, the blitz against Cleveland was nice. We sent both Clark and D-Ryans which made Joe Thomas block down on D-Ryans leaving Mario with a wide open shot at the QB. I think it was a mis-read by Thomas, but it was a sight for sore eyes that's for sure.:d:

imatexan 11-29-2007 05:35 PM

Re: Did you know...
 
Wow that is very suprising. I knew that we wernt on top of it but I thought maybe middle of the pack in sacks for the D-line we have!

adam 11-29-2007 05:45 PM

Re: Did you know...
 
Those are all pretty disappointing. The defense needs a serious shakeup.

bah007 11-29-2007 05:52 PM

Re: Did you know...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy (Post 792041)
...that the Texnas are 30th in the NFl for sacks with a massive 16?

Our last two 1st round picks have combined for nearly 70% of our team sacks.

Mario - 6
Okoye - 5
Ryans - 2
Maddox - 2
Kalu - 1

b0ng 11-29-2007 07:06 PM

Re: Did you know...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bah007 (Post 792393)
Our last two 1st round picks have combined for nearly 70% of our team sacks.

Mario - 6
Okoye - 5
Ryans - 2
Maddox - 2
Kalu - 1


This is the correct answer right here. Aside from Kalu, none of these players have more than 2 years experience in the league. I'm sure that if we get a really good D-line coach (Because I am just not impressed with the job that Franklin is doing) and give these players a little bit more time to gel, that we will be scary up front.

With a scary front, and a bulldozer for a MLB, I think we will be alright on defense.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:42 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger