Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Jags fan with a Question (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4333)

kevinjagsfan 11-14-2004 04:42 PM

Jags fan with a Question

is double D ya'lls long term answer at runningback?
I think for the 1st half his YPC was under 2 and a half.\
he made the colts defense look like....well.....a defense.
What's going to happen?

an an unrelated note, DAM! peyton looked like he had a vendetta against you guys, passing the whole time like that.

OzzO 11-14-2004 04:57 PM

personally, till we get consistent on the o-line.. it may be hard to decide if DD is the future or not? The way it was played today - no many holes really to run through.

Vinny 11-14-2004 05:00 PM

I don't consider Davis too talented. He is a nice 3rd down back but not much more. He has over 130 rushes this year with a long run of 11 yards.

Vinny 11-14-2004 05:04 PM

Actually he has 152 rushes with a long run of 12 yards. Davis isn't overpowering, he isn't real fast, and he is no threat for a big play. He isn't a NFL quality feature back; he's just the best we have for now.

keyfro 11-14-2004 05:30 PM

well when you think about davis the one quality he brings to the table is his ability to cut back and change direction quickly...in which the zone blocking scheme should make him flourish...he has done everything but flourish with this scheme...and yes vinny is right on him i believe...he doesn't do one thing that really stands out...he's not a powerback, a speedback, or just a solid back...he's like curtis martin without the ability to continue the play...i think we have a lot of needs that we didn't see before this season...help on o-line, d-line, runningback, after this season another reciever, and unless glenn earl really comes into his own a starting SS

TEXANS84 11-14-2004 06:08 PM

Davis is good...but like what Vinny said, I agree that he is a 3rd down back. I'd like to see us possibly pursue Derick Blaylock, or draft a runningback in this offseason.

Fiddy 11-14-2004 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevinjagsfan
is double D ya'lls long term answer at runningback?
I think for the 1st half his YPC was under 2 and a half.\
he made the colts defense look like....well.....a defense.
What's going to happen?

an an unrelated note, DAM! peyton looked like he had a vendetta against you guys, passing the whole time like that.

No, Davis is not the answer. He will be a great 3rd down back (like Vinny said) and I think will be a great PR/KR (the reason we drafted him). I am hoping that we pick up Ronnie Brown in the draft.

TexSon 11-14-2004 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fiddy
I am hoping that we pick up Ronnie Brown in the draft.

If he is there in the second, I'm all for it.

wags 11-14-2004 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TEXANS84
Davis is good...but like what Vinny said, I agree that he is a 3rd down back. I'd like to see us possibly pursue Derick Blaylock, or draft a runningback in this offseason.

I don't know if any NFL RB's want to ruin their careers behind our O-line. Best bet is to draft a RB who has no clue what he is in for. If we do draft a rookie RB, let's all say a prayer for him.

Oilers/Texans 11-14-2004 06:23 PM

I like Davis. He is a threat running and as a receiver in the passing game.

Fiddy 11-14-2004 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oilers/Texans
I like Davis. He is a threat running and as a receiver in the passing game.

I was hoping someone was going to say that. Ronnie Brown has great hands. Caught 8 passes against the Bulldogs and a TD on a post route. Brown also has the speed to destroy teams when he gets into the open field and will really be a threat when he catches the dump offs from Carr...

Oilers/Texans 11-14-2004 06:45 PM

I'll take Domanick.

Oilers/Texans 11-14-2004 06:52 PM

Also on Ronnie Brown, he is probably going to be one of the top backs drafted. Hopefully, the Texans won't be drafting anywhere near the top of the draft.

Vinny 11-14-2004 06:55 PM

The first back taken last year was Steven Jackson @ pick 24 overall. In 2003 it was McGahee at the 24th overall pick. Early picks usually go to more durable positions. No way Brown goes too early for us to pick him in the first...but I doubt we take a back with the first pick. He may slide to the second round. A ton of solid backs do.

Fiddy 11-14-2004 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oilers/Texans
Also on Ronnie Brown, he is probably going to be one of the top backs drafted. Hopefully, the Texans won't be drafting anywhere near the top of the draft.

Backs arent taken high anymore though. The 1st back taken last year was Steven Jackson, who a lot of people thought was a Top 10 pick, but Jackson fell to around #25. So Brown, Cadillac, and Benson can fall and I wont be surprised...

And if the Texans play the rest of the year like they have the past two weeks, we will be picking really high...

Oilers/Texans 11-14-2004 07:06 PM

That's true about last year's draft. It just all depends on who's picking and what their need is at that time I guess. Anyway, it is way too early to talk about the draft. There is still a bunch of football left.

ArlingtonTexan 11-14-2004 08:03 PM

I bothered to take note of Davis on the carries that he got to the 2nd level (only a handfull) and he did not make anyone on a below average defense miss or break tackles. He got what has there and no more.

His performance is reminding me of Billy miller in the first year and half. He is the best that he have so it is easy to get fooled that he is better than he really is.

aj. 11-14-2004 08:21 PM

152 total yards today. Not bad for a 3rd down back, even though most of it was after it didn't matter.

Vinny 11-14-2004 08:25 PM

Dom had 31 Carries for 98 yards. He had 7 receptions for the other 54. He did bust out with his season long run of 12 yards though. On 152 attempts.

ArlingtonTexan 11-14-2004 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aj.
152 total yards today. Not bad for a 3rd down back.

38 touches equals exactly 4 yards a touch...and we have not got into the concept of gargabe time yards and TDs.