Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texan Tailgate (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Texans NEED a new cannon!!! (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40523)

Mean Machine 08-05-2007 01:21 AM

Texans NEED a new cannon!!!
 
Hello Texans Fans!
Among all the excitement of the upcoming season with all the new faces that are hopefully going to carry us to the play-offs, there's one thing that happens on the floor at Reliant that needs to be addressed. WE NEED A REAL CANNON!
Have y'all seen that 'toy cannon' that the Texans fire off after we score? It is a Tonka toy, a joke for a team named for the only state to fight for its Independence.

The Texans could bring in a REAL cannon, perhaps from a Texas Independence re-enactment group to fire off after Texans scores at our home field. Anything is better than that puny little thing they shoot for crying out loud.

My buddies think I'm nuts for pushing this, but darn it, I just think it would be cool if we had a REAL cannon.

Go Texans!
G Money in Round Rock

BattleRedToro 08-05-2007 06:54 AM

Re: Texans NEED a new cannon!!!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mean Machine (Post 702806)
Hello Texans Fans!
Among all the excitement of the upcoming season with all the new faces that are hopefully going to carry us to the play-offs, there's one thing that happens on the floor at Reliant that needs to be addressed. WE NEED A REAL CANNON!
Have y'all seen that 'toy cannon' that the Texans fire off after we score? It is a Tonka toy, a joke for a team named for the only state to fight for its Independence.

The Texans could bring in a REAL cannon, perhaps from a Texas Independence re-enactment group to fire off after Texans scores at our home field. Anything is better than that puny little thing they shoot for crying out loud.

My buddies think I'm nuts for pushing this, but darn it, I just think it would be cool if we had a REAL cannon.

Go Texans!
G Money in Round Rock

Good post, it made me think. Two different options actually came to mind. Although I suspect the NFL would only allow one of them, both of which would probably meet with some kind of objection.

First the one that would recieve the least reasonable of objections. Your reenactment reference made me think of this one. I thought, maybe we could have a reproduction of the cannon from Gonzales, TX, accompanied by a reproduction of the "COME AND TAKE IT" flag. Of course, I immediatley realized we would have protests by people like Sylvia Garcia, LULAC(League of United Latin American Citizens) and the NCLR(National Council of La Raza), just as Garcia did when Houston 1836 was the name of the Houston MLS team. Someone needs to explain to these morons that they live in the USA, and Mexico ceded all rights to the State of Texas after the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo. I personally am disgusted at their unrighteous indignation, and with the Houston MLS team's capitulation. That is why I will never support that team or vote for any referendum to build them a new stadium.

Now for the one I don't believe the NFL would allow. I remember my father telling me that when he attended Texas A&M, they used to fire off a Howitzer when the Aggies scored. He also said, if I remember correctly, the NCAA made them stop firing the Howitzer, because it was too loud. It actually shook the ground when it was fired.

Koolaid Time 08-05-2007 07:27 AM

Re: Texans NEED a new cannon!!!
 
University of Texas does have a cannon that they fire often at games (too often when they play Rice).

In Austin they have a large space in the endzone to fire it (It fires blank shotgun shells).

At Reliant there isn't enough space on the sidelines or endzone for a cannon.

Maybe if they mounted it on the roof truss, or put it out in a parking lot and showed the video of it firing after a score?

http://www.enter.net/~zovak/smokey_400.jpg

Hook'er 08-05-2007 10:09 PM

Re: Texans NEED a new cannon!!!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Koolaid Time (Post 702819)
University of Texas does have a cannon that they fire often at games (too often when they play Rice).

In Austin they have a large space in the endzone to fire it (It fires blank shotgun shells).

At Reliant there isn't enough space on the sidelines or endzone for a cannon.

Maybe if they mounted it on the roof truss, or put it out in a parking lot and showed the video of it firing after a score?

http://www.enter.net/~zovak/smokey_400.jpg

Yeah, we need our own "Cannon Crew".

Mean Machine 08-06-2007 01:13 AM

Re: Texans NEED a new cannon!!!
 
I like that idea of the COME AND TAKE IT flag being ran out before a game, that would get the crowd going nuts.

As for room for a cannon, if they had it down in the South endzone where the cheerleaders go in and out, they could roll it out before the kickoff after we score and then roll it back in there.

Anything is better than that stupid little toy cannon they shoot, including not doing any cannon at all.

I just think it would be cool for the fans and the team to EMBRACE the team's name, TEXANS. There are tons of ways they can do it, and this would be just one idea.

GO TEXANS!!!

Mean Machine 08-12-2007 10:08 PM

Re: Texans NEED a new cannon!!!
 
Well, we scored Saturday nite...and sure enough...the 'little toy cannon' is still being used. As one of the guys in the Battle Red Bunch says, "you shouldn't be able to have one guy pick up and carry off your cannon!"

C'mon Texans' Front office, get us a REAL Texas Battle cannon!

gwallaia 08-12-2007 10:15 PM

Re: Texans NEED a new cannon!!!
 
Wait till the Titans come to play. Point the cannon at Bud and let her rip. ,and none of those sissy blank shells either

JohnsonFan 08-15-2007 03:20 PM

Re: Texans NEED a new cannon!!!
 
no we dont come on every time it goes off i jump10 feet

swtbound07 08-15-2007 04:33 PM

Re: Texans NEED a new cannon!!!
 
tampa bay has a series of cannons on their pirate ship that shoot out t-shirts....i like that idea personally.

Brando 08-15-2007 04:40 PM

Re: Texans NEED a new cannon!!!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by gwallaia (Post 707883)
Wait till the Titans come to play. Point the cannon at Bud and let her rip. ,and none of those sissy blank shells either

:)

Ha Ha, good one......

Yankee_In_TX 08-15-2007 04:40 PM

Re: Texans NEED a new cannon!!!
 
Hey, at least we have two large flame throwers pre game! And they're hot!!

Texan_Bill 08-15-2007 04:41 PM

Re: Texans NEED a new cannon!!!
 
http://www.nationalparklover.com/ima..._cannons_h.jpg

powerfuldragon 08-15-2007 09:14 PM

Re: Texans NEED a new cannon!!!
 
we need something more modern that a cannon. maybe a scud missile that flys around inside reliant.

JohnsonFan 08-15-2007 09:31 PM

Re: Texans NEED a new cannon!!!
 
we need a real bull like UT and then we will be all good

dskillz 08-16-2007 08:50 AM

Re: Texans NEED a new cannon!!!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by swtbound07 (Post 710087)
tampa bay has a series of cannons on their pirate ship that shoot out t-shirts....i like that idea personally.

I think a pirate ship might look a bit odd in Reliant. :shades:

I am fine with the cannon we have. Visually it isn't the most impressive thing, but it is freaking loud! Remember size doesn't matter, atleast that is what I like to believe.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:40 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger