Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Who starts at LG? (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=399)

V Man 05-18-2004 01:42 PM

Who starts at LG?

I heard and read that Washington wants the Center position (in fact he is listed as a center on the players page). Who starts at left guard? I would like to see them move Fred Weary over from the right side. He started two games on the right side for injured Wieqert. Plus that would give us two solid young lineman on the left side for years to come. I see the starters as followed.

LT- Pitts
LG- Weary
C- McKinney
RG- Wieqert
RT- Wade

What do you think?

OzzO 05-18-2004 01:54 PM

Wasn't guard originally McKinney's position but he moved to center with the Texans?

vtech9 05-18-2004 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by V Man
I heard and read that Washington wants the Center position (in fact he is listed as a center on the players page). Who starts at left guard? I would like to see them move Fred Weary over from the right side. He started two games on the right side for injured Wieqert. Plus that would give us two solid young lineman on the left side for years to come. I see the starters as followed.

LT- Pitts
LG- Weary
C- McKinney
RG- Wieqert
RT- Wade

What do you think?

In all likelyness, Milford Brown will be the starting guard on the left side. He was the starter last year until he became injured. So he should be the starter again this year.

MojoMan 05-18-2004 01:59 PM

How about:

LT- Wand
LG- Weary
C- Washington
RG- Wieqert
RT- Wade

V Man 05-18-2004 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MojoMan
How about:

LT-
Wand
LG-
Weary
C-
Washington
RG-
Wieqert
RT-[indent]Wade

Got a thing for "W" don't you. Can be called the Wide Wall. :bag:

Blake 05-18-2004 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A4toZ
Wasn't guard originally McKinney's position but he moved to center with the Texans?

We had 2 McKinneys. One a center, and one at guard. We dumped the guard.

Lucky 05-18-2004 02:57 PM

I guess the competition for the LG spot has been flushed out. Washington, Brown, & Weary. Although he was a positive step up from the guys on the year 1 line, Washington never impressed me as anything but a stopgap player. I thought Brown had an excellent training camp, but stumbled late in preseason and in the Saint game. Of course he may have been playing hurt in that game. Weary still has the stigma of being benched on the year 1 line. This has to be his best (and last?) chance at getting back to the starting lineup.

If the coaching staff determines that Wand is one of the top 5 O-linemen, could he move to guard? I remember when Joe Pendry was brought in as the interior OL coach, it was said that the Texans were changing to a zone or area type blocking scheme (can't find link). I would think the player who adapts best to this new scheme (however that plays out) would win the LG job.

We've never seen the Texans version of an area blocking scheme, but the Broncos employ this type and it may resemble theirs. I mentioned as Wand possibly being in the mix at LG because his mobility seems to fit into the area blocking scheme. Maybe move Wand to LG for a season and flip flop with Pitts at LT in '05? Or just stay with Pitts at LT and make Wand into a LG? Because of his athleticism, I expect Wand to make his way into the lineup somewhere in the near future.

infantrycak 05-18-2004 03:08 PM

Steve McKinney did come to the Texans as a guard...

From the Texans profile of him:

Quote:

successfully made the transition from guard to center his first season in Houston…

done88 05-18-2004 03:14 PM

Weary over Pitts ????????????

Quote:

Originally Posted by MojoMan
How about:

LT- Wand
LG- Weary
C- Washington
RG- Wieqert
RT- Wade

if anything it will be
LT- Wand
LG- Pitts
C- Mckinney
RG- Wieqert
RT- Wade
Pitts was drafted to be a guard and may be the best lineman on the team right now. When Wand is ready he will move to left guard.
:mag:

Blake 05-18-2004 03:34 PM

All W's. Kinda funny.

Fiddy 05-18-2004 04:22 PM

I wouldnt mind Wand at guard, but I think Milford Brown wins the spots. Brown isnt at practice because of a death in the family.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory...sfront/2575552

aj. 05-18-2004 05:49 PM

Milford Brown will probably start at LG with Todd Washington pushing him hard for time.

I'm guessing the starters on opening day will be:

LT Pitts
LG Brown
C McKinney
RG Wiegert
RT Wade

Wand will back up both T positions
Washington will back up LG and C
Weary will back up RG and C

LG will be the biggest battle and Washington will also push McKinney at C. I see Steve keeping his job this season although he's anything but a dominating center. Wand isn't ready to take over LT full time - yet.

Coach Pendry's new zone blocking scheme may be a factor when all is said and done.

The good news: We have a lot of depth and flexibility at the interior line positions.

The bad news: We have little depth and flexibility at the tackle positions.

Wand at Guard? I'm down... While we're at it, how about Pitts at Tight End and McKinney at Tackle... Then we can re-sign Jimmy Herndon and trade that 3rd rounder we got for Henson to San Diego to get DeMingo Graham back just in case.

edo783 05-18-2004 05:51 PM

Looks about right AJ.

Porky 05-18-2004 06:28 PM

I think LG will come down to Weary or Brown. I would give Brown an advantage in general, but in a zone blocking scheme, quickness is favored over size as a general rule. I think Weary is much quicker than Brown and may excel in a scheme like this. Time will tell.

I think Wand backs up both tackle spots this year, but will push hard for a spot at LT in 2005. I personally do not see Wand at Guard. First, we are much deeper there than at tackle. Second, he has a classic LT's feet and size. Pitts could swing inside to LG in 2005. That would mean we need another good solid tackle prospect before they make that switch, and with the depth inside, he may never move inside.

The rest of the starters seem like sure things, and for depth, we have Wand, Weary/Brown, Washington, or maybe a wild card guy not on the radar.

I'm not as high on Wahsington as some, but from what I have seen he is a better center than guard.

vtech9 05-19-2004 12:22 AM

I think you are forgetting about an OT aj. Garrick Jones is still on the team, and I seem to remember that the Texans were pretty high on him when they signed him from the CFL last season.

Lucky 05-19-2004 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aj.
Wand at Guard? I'm down... While we're at it, how about Pitts at Tight End and McKinney at Tackle... Then we can re-sign Jimmy Herndon and trade that 3rd rounder we got for Henson to San Diego to get DeMingo Graham back just in case.

Huh? The idea of Wand at LG is as absurd as the rest of these notions? O-K.

Did you know that the Ravens All-Pro LT Jonathan Ogden began his career at LG? Why? So he could get experience without risking the health of the starting QB. He moved to LT after that and the rest is history. Again, if Wand is one of the top 5 O-linemen on the team, why not put him at guard? How would that preclude Wand from backing up at the tackle spots and moving over in case Pitts or Wade went down? I must be missing some stunningly logical explanation as to why Wand couldn't play at LG. Please, enlighten me.

aj. 05-19-2004 07:09 AM

I had forgotten about Ogden. You are right. But we're talking about Seth Wand, not the first player selected in the draft. Hey, who knows, maybe Seth can play guard. But why? Is he really one of our 5 best o-lineman at any position? Or is he a potentially very good OT in waiting? We are loaded at G and have little quality depth at T. Wand has a prototypical tackle body, good length/leverage necessary to play outside, good feet, but from what little I've seen of him on the field, it doesn't seem like he can get low and wide enough to keep the much lower cg and stronger interior D-linemen from getting to his chest and blowing him backwards. Remember, when they had him in there last year in the jumbo sets, he played outside of the T and was lined up against LBs. Wand needs to get a LOT stronger than he was last season. Hopefully the off season weight program has helped in that regard. Some players benefit from being moved inside (Zach Wiegert is a prime example) but with Wand, I guess I just don't see it. All things considered, yes, the whole notion of playing him at G just struck me as absurd.

Quote:

think you are forgetting about an OT aj. Garrick Jones is still on the team
I didn't forget about him or Elliot Silvers or Curry Dawson. I don't know anything about Jones other than he came from the CFL and was signed by the Chiefs and later released. He was on the Texans practice squad before being signed to the 53 in October but he was inactive for every game. Let's hope that he's one of those surprises that goes from being a relative unknown to a solid backup.

pittbull 05-19-2004 08:25 AM

Get it together

If you fans think there is going to be major reconstruction on the o-line, you've lost it. This team came togehter late in the year, and that is what a line needs, chemistry. Pitts will be the starting left tackle, as he has gotten 100x better. Brown will be penciled back in at left guard, and the only other change will be Wade at RT to solidify a nasty presence on the line. This unit will be as good as any in the league, if we don't play musical lineman!

Lucky 05-19-2004 10:32 AM

I may have lost it

I don't think Dom Capers is afraid of moving guys around to field the best possible team. Wong from LOLB to ROLB. Coleman from RCB to FS. Hey, maybe Washington does beat out McKinney at center and McKinney moves to LG?

I don't know if Wand will emerge as one of the top 5 lineman or not. I thought that is was possible that if Wand came out of the offseason program much stronger, his agility would lend itself to prosper in a zone blocking scheme. That's a big if. But if so, I don't think the Texans would hesitate in finding him a place on the line. I believe the Texans will try any combination that will give them the best chance to win. I have not seen any evidence from them to suggest otherwise.

BTW, would completely altering your blocking scheme be considered "major reconstruction"?

TheOgre 05-19-2004 10:56 AM

Is Steve McKinney signed through the end of this season or 2005?

I see our line in 2004 as:
LT Pitts
LG Brown
C McKinney
RG Wiegert
RT Wade

I see our "projected" line in 2005 as:
LT Wand
LG Pitts
C McKinney
RG Wiegert
RT Wade

McKinney hasn't played all that well for the money we are paying him. I would not be surprised to see him gone next year even if he is still under contract. We could have Weary, Brown, and Washington compete at C. I think all 3 have played C in either the pros or college. This all hinges on Wand. If he isn't ready to go then Pitts will stay at LT and Brown at LG.