Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Marcus Coleman signs 3 year extension (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3832)

STEEL BLUE TEXANS 10-29-2004 05:39 PM

Marcus Coleman signs 3 year extension

Not sure if anyone has posted this, but im pretty sure I just saw "Marcus Coleman signs 3 year extension with the Texans" going across ESPN's news ticker.

jacquescas 10-29-2004 05:41 PM

ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports Houston Texans FS Marcus Coleman has signed a three-year contract extension. It is worth $9.3 million, which includes a $5 million signing bonus.

Fiddy 10-29-2004 05:43 PM

Just heard it on SportsRadio 610...Great news...

STEEL BLUE TEXANS 10-29-2004 05:43 PM

ok good. so i wasn't seeing things. lol

Porky 10-29-2004 05:45 PM

Great news! Marcus isn't an elite player, but I think he is above average as a FS, certainly in terms of range and ball skills, and he seems to be getting better. Excellent news indeed! :thumbup

texasguy346 10-29-2004 05:52 PM

It's great to have him locked up a few more years. Glad they got it out of the way so early in the season.

281 10-29-2004 06:00 PM

"Wow... Okay, sounds pretty neat."

-Konane

Double Barrel 10-29-2004 06:05 PM

Fantastic! I like Marcus Coleman, and I think he'll get better than he has been at safety. Good to hear that he'll be an integral part of the team for years to come.

beerlover 10-29-2004 06:08 PM

positive news, congratulations to all parties involved :thumbup just one question, the 5 million bonus would that apply to this years salary cap? I'm thinking this was close to about the amount of cap room still left for this year, thus setting up for another aggressive aquisition off sesaon. The signing also suggests the Texans have a very positive working enviornment one that players enjoy being a partner with.

SESupergenius 10-29-2004 06:15 PM

That puts him in line with some of these guys:

Williams, Aeneas
Darius,Donovin
Minter, Mike
Sharper, Darren

Is he as good as these guys?

TEXANS84 10-29-2004 06:21 PM

Great news....people forget how valuable Marcus is to our team.
Good job Charley!!!!!!!!!!!

dalemurphy 10-29-2004 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SESupergenius

Williams, Aeneas
Darius,Donovin
Minter, Mike
Sharper, Darren

He's better than Darius and Aeneas Williams and probably on par with Mike Minter. I think Darren Sharper is the best of that group... Williams was very good about 4 years ago but he's aged and slowed significantly.

dalemurphy 10-29-2004 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beerlover
positive news, congratulations to all parties involved :thumbup just one question, the 5 million bonus would that apply to this years salary cap? I'm thinking this was close to about the amount of cap room still left for this year, thus setting up for another aggressive aquisition off sesaon. The signing also suggests the Texans have a very positive working enviornment one that players enjoy being a partner with.

If this deal is front-loaded to count significantly against this year's cap #, then it is a GREAT deal. Otherwise, I still like it.

MIGHTYTEX 10-29-2004 06:32 PM

Great to see, now we need to sign Payne

Grid 10-29-2004 07:11 PM

so aj... did he just break the bank on our salary cap?

texasguy346 10-30-2004 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SESupergenius

Williams, Aeneas
Darius,Donovin
Minter, Mike
Sharper, Darren

I'd say he's as good as those guys. He definately deserves to be in that group. He has some versatility, and he's done pretty well thus far at safety.

jacquescas 10-30-2004 05:23 AM

I think its a good deal. Maybe a little high, but alot of Corners have prolonged their careers switching to Saftey and Coleman will help add experience to that Group, especially with rookies Earl and Robinson starting. I like for 1 saftey to be a vetran former corner cause they seem to have soo much more ability, then 1 saftey who is just a hard hitter.

rittenhouserobz 10-30-2004 05:31 AM

I like the signing. Let us just hope that the DUI stuff is long gone.

aj. 10-30-2004 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grid
so aj... did he just break the bank on our salary cap?

Probably not. We'll have to wait and see what the annual base salaries look like and whether they just did a bolt-on to his existing contract (started everything in '05) or whether they also restructured his 2004 base as part of the deal like they did with Aaron Glenn's extension. If they included part of his 2004 base into that signing bonus, it could actually lower his cap number for this year. Either way, it looks like a very affordable deal that won't break the bank. I wonder if Payne is next...

Grid 10-30-2004 08:37 AM

Cool. thanks aj