Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Blazing Arrow's "Rivalry Talk" (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Carr-Schwab-Williams-Young (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38166)

Bipolar The Titan 04-26-2007 10:43 PM

Carr-Schwab-Williams-Young
 
If the Texans were just gonna dump Carr anyways, why didn't they draft Young when they had the chance? Williams is a good pick I guess but if they were just going to turn around and "upgrade" at qb the next year, why wouldn't the Texans just take Young? Doesn't make sense to me.

At what point did the Texans decide they were going another direction at qb? Was it after the last years draft? Also, what was up with Carr's contract? I mean, was it up, did he want a crazy extentsion or what? Why isn't Young a Texan? Seems like the logical choice.

Hookem Horns 04-26-2007 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bipolar The Titan (Post 657061)
If the Texans were just gonna dump Carr anyways, why didn't they draft Young when they had the chance? Williams is a good pick I guess but if they were just going to turn around and "upgrade" at qb the next year, why wouldn't the Texans just take Young? Doesn't make sense to me.

At what point did the Texans decide they were going another direction at qb? Was it after the last years draft? Also, what was up with Carr's contract? I mean, was it up, did he want a crazy extentsion or what? Why isn't Young a Texan? Seems like the logical choice.

Because before last year's draft the Texans were already set at the QB position. Carr was the face of the franchise and the man of the future. Carr just never had a chance to success due to bad coaching and Kubiak was going to get him going in the right direction. Any fan that said other wise was just a UT homer or had no clue about football.

Ole Miss Texan 04-26-2007 11:00 PM

that's a good question.

But in all honesty, what makes you think Vince Young was the highest rated QB on their board?

He sure showed a lot last year, but just because he went to UT and is from Houston isn't why you take a QB #1. If you are really asking this from a football standpoint...you should include Matt Leinart too. I feel VY is in the debate mostly because he's from houston and did well after the fact, during his rookie campaign in the nfl.

Marcus 04-26-2007 11:02 PM

This is not the official Texans message board, so I would have thought the mods would be more proactive regarding Titans trolls.

HJam72 04-26-2007 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bipolar The Titan (Post 657061)
If the Texans were just gonna dump Carr anyways, why didn't they draft Young when they had the chance? Williams is a good pick I guess but if they were just going to turn around and "upgrade" at qb the next year, why wouldn't the Texans just take Young? Doesn't make sense to me.

At what point did the Texans decide they were going another direction at qb? Was it after the last years draft? Also, what was up with Carr's contract? I mean, was it up, did he want a crazy extentsion or what? Why isn't Young a Texan? Seems like the logical choice.

The answer to your question is they didn't yet know that Carr wasn't a great QB about to emerge, and they screwed up royally. Nothing against Williams, but they did. Just keep in mind that they might've taken Leinart instead. I'd be happy with either one of those two QBs and our second round pick back this year and next (Schaub trade) for losing Williams. They screwed up, but Williams is no slouch, had a bad foot last year, and will be a force to reckon with this coming year.

Hookem Horns 04-26-2007 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HJam72 (Post 657077)
They screwed up, but Williams is no slouch, had a bad foot last year, and will be a force to reckon with this coming year.

I am concerned about Williams foot. Those types of things can become chronic for a career. Have there been any updates down there on his condition?

CrunkTex 04-26-2007 11:37 PM

Great thread...or greatest thread?

infantrycak 04-26-2007 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hookem Horns (Post 657086)
I am concerned about Williams foot. Those types of things can become chronic for a career. Have there been any updates down there on his condition?

There was a podiatrist on one of the radio shows this week that said plantar fasciatis is not a chronic issue. Once you get it totally healed, there is no reason to expect a repeat. No personal knowledge but that is what was said.

GTFan 04-26-2007 11:44 PM

I thought the Young debate had long gone away by now, but I'll bite....

Say we did take Young. We'd have Young and let's say the #19 pick in this year's draft like th Titans do.

Instead, we took Mario and we have the #10 pick. You COULD argue that a desperate team would be willing to trade a 2007 and 2008 2nd round picks to move from 19 to 10. Denver seems to be willing to move from 21 to 10 for a 2nd and a 3rd this year.

So, you could easily argue that the Young comparison becomes, which would you rather have:

Vince Young VS. Mario Williams AND Matt Schaub.

Schaub won't ever be the electrifying playmaker that Vince is, but he could end up being a much better pocket QB and to boot, we have Mario Williams. We won't ever know the grade of the '06 draft until we know how both Mario and Matt turn out.

HJam72 04-27-2007 12:11 AM

The overall draft was great. With Smith replacing CC, I expect this one to be even better (I mean for the picks we have).

Bipolar The Titan 04-27-2007 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcus (Post 657072)
This is not the official Texans message board, so I would have thought the mods would be more proactive regarding Titans trolls.

for what it's worth pal, this thread was moved to this area. I don't intend to be running smack or trolling or whatever you have perceived me to be up until this point. If you were to review my brief posting history on this forum it would become obvious to you that my intention here is purely coversational and informational. I find last years draft scenario interesting. I want to talk to the Texans fans about it and get their take.

I find the comment about being "set" at qb last year very interesting.

what I would like to know know, hindsight 20-20...
Would Houston be better off with Leinart, Cutler, or Young?

Texan_Bill 04-27-2007 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infantrycak (Post 657102)
There was a podiatrist on one of the radio shows this week that said plantar fasciatis is not a chronic issue. Once you get it totally healed, there is no reason to expect a repeat. No personal knowledge but that is what was said.

Although there are rare occasions that plantar fasciitis can re-occur and become an issue, you are correct that it is not typically a chronic issue.(personal knowledge)... However, if the plantar fasciitis is not treated - with rest, it can develop into other issues, from favoring that particular foot..

Vinny 04-27-2007 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcus (Post 657072)
This is not the official Texans message board, so I would have thought the mods would be more proactive regarding Titans trolls.

I may be more proactive on you....keep it to the thread or find another thread to participate in. We got the moderation handled thankyouverymuch.

Vinny 04-27-2007 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bipolar The Titan (Post 657164)

I find the comment about being "set" at qb last year very interesting.

what I would like to know know, hindsight 20-20...
Would Houston be better off with Leinart, Cutler, or Young?

It's because McNair was too meddling and had an unnatural love for David Carr that hurt the franchise...that's my take on the whole deal.

Of course they would have been better off dumping Carr last year and drafting a QB...but you can't rewind this stuff. It is what it is and we move forward. Beating this like a dead horse over and over and over is kinda troll-like though...I will say that much on behalf of Marcus. I know you have been around enough to see the redundant threads on this.

hadaad 04-27-2007 09:38 AM

I agree with Vinny but i think it's also hard to let your #1 overall pick walk away without compensation, which they would have done last year if they hadn't picked up his extension. I know they did the same thing this year, after paying him a lot more money but without a good look at the guy, I doubt Kubiak would be confident in saying "Yup. Get rid of him."

As for who they'd be better with? I don't know, but I'd say out of the three of them, Schaub most closely compares to Leinart. So Leinart.

Honoring Earl 34 04-27-2007 09:53 AM

I hope this ends up being an isolated incedent ( Mcnair coddling Carr ). You can't run a team with your heart .

I think Carr could have been OK in the right enviroment but he was not a cornerstone player . They needed a lead dog to set the bar high ... it ended up pretty laid back around the Texans camp .

This was really evident when Glenn , Sharper , and Walker left . After that it seemed the fire was gone .... 2-14 geez ... I might have cut them all after that .

Bipolar The Titan 04-27-2007 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinny (Post 657193)
It's because McNair was too meddling and had an unnatural love for David Carr that hurt the franchise...that's my take on the whole deal.

Of course they would have been better off dumping Carr last year and drafting a QB...but you can't rewind this stuff. It is what it is and we move forward. Beating this like a dead horse over and over and over is kinda troll-like though...I will say that much on behalf of Marcus. I know you have been around enough to see the redundant threads on this.

you give me too much credit. I haven't really seen those threads. I'm sure they are there. ok... for anyone who wants to entertain some "out there" hypotheticals... Peyton Manning... I'm sure we can all agree that he has been the nfl's best qb the past 5 years. Suppose Peyton Manning is the Texans qb since 2002... take a deep breath, I know... but just say Carr never was a Texan... instead you had Peyton Manning. Do you think Manning, Mr. Immobile would have been able to acccomplish anything much more than Carr, given the set of circumstances that Carr had to deal with?

Don't brand me troll for asking this question... it's just interesting to "shoot the breeze" in this way... I'm not trying to engage in a peeing contest here with you good people... just trying to find some acceptance through thoughtful, intelligent posting. I can tell by the landscape of this mb that there is no place for the hard core smack, so I will of course save you that, although I do have a reputation for such communication... it's just that I have a policy of "when in rome"... here I am respectful in the way the community wants it because I want to participate.

So, would P-Man take you to the promised land?

follow up question... what do you say if it turns out Carr has a monster year with the Panthers? What then?

Vinny 04-27-2007 02:39 PM

I wasn't trying to brand anyone a troll, but I did refer to the redundant cascade of this never-ending subject...a trolling type situtation. I told Marcus to let us take care of it and I've seen enough redundant threads about this to understand his pov. I "troll" on some subjects...it's all good.

HJam72 04-27-2007 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bipolar The Titan (Post 657435)
you give me too much credit. I haven't really seen those threads. I'm sure they are there. ok... for anyone who wants to entertain some "out there" hypotheticals... Peyton Manning... I'm sure we can all agree that he has been the nfl's best qb the past 5 years. Suppose Peyton Manning is the Texans qb since 2002... take a deep breath, I know... but just say Carr never was a Texan... instead you had Peyton Manning. Do you think Manning, Mr. Immobile would have been able to acccomplish anything much more than Carr, given the set of circumstances that Carr had to deal with?

Don't brand me troll for asking this question... it's just interesting to "shoot the breeze" in this way... I'm not trying to engage in a peeing contest here with you good people... just trying to find some acceptance through thoughtful, intelligent posting. I can tell by the landscape of this mb that there is no place for the hard core smack, so I will of course save you that, although I do have a reputation for such communication... it's just that I have a policy of "when in rome"... here I am respectful in the way the community wants it because I want to participate.

So, would P-Man take you to the promised land?

follow up question... what do you say if it turns out Carr has a monster year with the Panthers? What then?

No, but we would've been better and probably made the playoffs before now.

One thing that should be mentioned is that we have (had, whatever) higher draft picks this year as a result of a 6-10 season that could've been better if we'd chosen Leinart, for instance. So, we got something back in the form of 2007 draft picks--and we still have Mario, so these things don't kill you forever. Only thing for sure is that LAST YEAR we would have had a better team with Leinart or Young.

On Carr and the Panthers: I hope that does happen, but, even if it does, it won't be for a few years. Carr needs to be coached up a lot. He's been coached badly for years, and Kubiak couldn't believe how unNFL ready he was. If it did happen that soon (I'd be shocked first off), I'd say that David Carr needed a new home REALLY BAD, because it wouldn't have happened nearly that fast around here.

Double Barrel 04-27-2007 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bipolar The Titan (Post 657435)
ok... for anyone who wants to entertain some "out there" hypotheticals... Peyton Manning... I'm sure we can all agree that he has been the nfl's best qb the past 5 years. Suppose Peyton Manning is the Texans qb since 2002... take a deep breath, I know... but just say Carr never was a Texan... instead you had Peyton Manning. Do you think Manning, Mr. Immobile would have been able to acccomplish anything much more than Carr, given the set of circumstances that Carr had to deal with?

This is just my opinion, and I'm not a "Carr hater" (or "homer" for that matter)...

But Manning is world's above Carr as a QB. Where do we start? PM can make pre-snap reads and make adjustments, Carr couldn't. PM can audible hot routes to take advantage of match ups with the D (no doubt from his extensive viewing of game film), DC didn't. PM can feel the rush and step up into the pocket, making precision throws off of one foot a second before getting hit. He knows where his #2, #3, and #4 options are and how to get the ball to them in stride so they can rack up YAC.

Carr is a mediocre QB, at best. This isn't a slam any more than saying Brad Johnson or Trent Dilfer are mediocre QBs (both have rings, btw). He just is who he is, and a look at his college scouting report reveals that he is the same player today as he was 5 years ago. Blame it on coaching, poor offensive line, Carr's head, all of the above, whatever, but he is not a player that will make vast strides in improving his game.

As far as my take of Carr in Carolina....I'd venture that their offensive line will look a whole lot worse when he starts taking snaps.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:23 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger