Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Blazing Arrow's "Rivalry Talk" (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Vince is screwed (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37877)

dskillz 04-16-2007 06:26 PM

Vince is screwed

from - http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/in...&news_id=55690

Quote:

Tennessee Titans quarterback Vince Young will be on the cover of the EA Sports Madden 2008 video game.

A source with knowledge of the situation confirmed Young’s gracing the cover of the game to The City Paper. Efforts to reach EA Sports were unsuccessful on Monday.

An official announcement is expected on Tuesday and Young will appear on "Jimmy Kimmel Live" as part of the kickoff promotion for the newest version the popular NFL video game.

Of course, appearing on the cover of the game has produced a “jinx” of sorts in recent seasons.

Several players, including former Titan Eddie George, have graced the cover, then succumbed to injury or ineffectiveness in the season they were on the game’s front.

George was on the cover during the 2001 season, the year he suffered through a toe injury. In 2000, George had rushed for a career-high 1,509 yards. Because of the injury, George managed just 939 yards in 2001 as the Titans slumped from 13-3 to 7-9.

Other prominent players to fall victim to the Madden Curse include quarterbacks Donovan McNabb and Daunte Culpepper and last year’s cover man Shaun Alexander.
Young apparently will also appear in commercial spots for the game that will be aired during coverage of the NFL Draft.

Kaiser Toro 04-16-2007 06:29 PM

VY is the only guy that could break the Madden curse. :gun:

Double Barrel 04-16-2007 06:34 PM

wow...dude is just daring fate, 'eh? :wild:

I gotta' say, though, that as a skeptic, I don't believe in any of this "Madden curse" nonsense. So no matter what happens, some part of me will benefit. Either he fulfills the curse and we benefit as Texans fans, or he breaks the curse and finally puts a stake in it (making my skeptical side happy).

Vinny 04-16-2007 06:37 PM

Draft Vince Young and your franchise gets TWO Monday Night football games and your Franchise is on the cover of Madden.....well, at least we got some dead money to remember Carr by.

Double Barrel 04-16-2007 06:39 PM

Man, I didn't know that the Titans are getting TWO MNF games!! :cool:

dskillz 04-16-2007 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Double Barrel (Post 652637)

I gotta' say, though, that as a skeptic, I don't believe in any of this "Madden curse" nonsense. So no matter what happens, some part of me will benefit. Either he fulfills the curse and we benefit as Texans fans, or he breaks the curse and finally puts a stake in it (making my skeptical side happy).

I didn't believe it either until McNabb. 6 years in a row with injured coverboys and then Alexander last season! Maybe VY will escape it, but it is a good sidestory for the season.

axman40 04-16-2007 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Double Barrel (Post 652640)
Man, I didn't know that the Titans are getting TWO MNF games!! :cool:

MNF is the riff raff night, Sunday night is the place to be!
:cowboy1:

Fiddy 04-16-2007 08:00 PM

VY is going to struggle next year even if he wasnt on the cover. Saying the Titans havent done anything is an understatement.

Brown and Henry are gone so they have a 300 pound Lendale White so no running game.
Lost Bennett and Wade so a couple of unproven, young guys have to try and play.

mexican_texan 04-16-2007 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinny (Post 652639)
Draft Vince Young and your franchise gets TWO Monday Night football games and your Franchise is on the cover of Madden.....well, at least we got some dead money to remember Carr by.

I'll take a DE over a QB...Kearse or Peppers over Brady or Manning

Blazing Arrow 04-16-2007 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Double Barrel (Post 652637)

Look at the history it is not good. The only player to kind of not get it was Eddie George and then there was that fumble in the playoffs for a guy who never fumbles that cost the Titans there season. :ohsnap:

Fiddy 04-16-2007 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mexican_texan (Post 652676)

Why yes, makes perfect sense:
Kearse and Peppers combined Super Bowls: 0 (lost 3 though, Kearse twice, Peppers once...wasnt Kearse a rookie in the "one-yard" super bowl and with Philly for theirs???)
Brady and Manning combined Super Bowls: 4

And Brady beat both Kearse and Peppers I believe.

mexican_texan 04-16-2007 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fiddy (Post 652688)
Why yes, makes perfect sense:
Kearse and Peppers combined Super Bowls: 0 (lost 3 though, Kearse twice, Peppers once...wasnt Kearse a rookie in the "one-yard" super bowl and with Philly for theirs???)
Brady and Manning combined Super Bowls: 4

And Brady beat both Kearse and Peppers I believe.

I mean, just a coincidence, but Brady had Richard Seymour, Teddy Bruschi and a generally good supporting cast. Manning had Dwight Freeney and a D that stepped up quite a bit during the playoffs. The NFL's number one offense? Lost to the Bears.

Look at premier DEs.
Derrick Burgess
Julius Peppers
Jevon Kearse
Dwight Freeney
Simeon Rice
Michael Strahan
Jason Taylor

Most have gone to the Super Bowl.

Fiddy 04-16-2007 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mexican_texan (Post 652691)
I mean, just a coincidence, but Brady had Richard Seymour, Teddy Bruschi and a generally good supporting cast. Manning had Dwight Freeney and a D that stepped up quite a bit during the playoffs. The NFL's number one offense? Lost to the Bears.

Brady leading a game winning drive against Peppers, i guess, had everything to do with Seymour and Bruschi. Bruschi did make a couple of TD catches in super bowls, however.

And Adewale Ogunleye of the Bears is a slouch I guess. Or maybe he lost due to the fact that he had Grossman and not Manning.

You build a team around a QB, unless your the Ravens (who were led by a MLB, not a DE) of course...they are like the Oakland A's, they make no sense but they win. Teams led by defensive-ends dont win Super Bowls anymore. (keyword, 'anymore')

Quote:

Originally Posted by mexican_texan (Post 652691)
Look at premier DEs.
Derrick Burgess
Julius Peppers
Jevon Kearse
Dwight Freeney
Simeon Rice
Michael Strahan
Jason Taylor

Most have gone to the Super Bowl.

Yes, they've all gone and only Rice has won one. I'm more intrested in winning a super bowl, not just going.

infantrycak 04-16-2007 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mexican_texan (Post 652676)

Wow, just wow.

385 of 385 coaches just said you are insane if you make that choice. C'mon, it is one thing to say you would take Freeney or Peppers over Vick, Carr, stretch it even to Hasselbeck or Romo but none would elect as you suggest, unless by chance you meant Eli and even then they would take him over Kearse.

mexican_texan 04-16-2007 10:37 PM

Quote:

You build a team around a QB,
No way. There's a reason it took Manning until now to win a ring: he finally got a D that stepped up in the playoffs. Before that, Pittsburgh, New England, Tampa Bay, and the Ravens were all at the top of the league as far as Defense. Only the Rams won by their offense, and their D wasn't that bad.

mexican_texan 04-16-2007 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infantrycak (Post 652696)
Wow, just wow.

385 of 385 coaches just said you are insane if you make that choice. C'mon, it is one thing to say you would take Freeney or Peppers over Vick, Carr, stretch it even to Hasselbeck or Romo but none would elect as you suggest, unless by chance you meant Eli and even then they would take him over Kearse.

I'd say there's a better chance you get a Carr or an Eli when you get a QB than you would get a Courtney Brown or Jerome McDougle at DE in the draft. There are a lot of factors that go into the play of the QB: the line play, the recievers, the running game, the hair, whatever, but a DE like Reggie White can take over any play any time.

Vinny 04-16-2007 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mexican_texan (Post 652698)
No way. There's a reason it took Manning until now to win a ring: he finally got a D that stepped up in the playoffs. Before that, Pittsburgh, New England, Tampa Bay, and the Ravens were all at the top of the league as far as Defense. Only the Rams won by their offense, and their D wasn't that bad.

Um, take Manning off that team and they win no ring. Your logic escapes you young vulcan.

Fiddy 04-16-2007 10:41 PM

The fact that the Steelers, New England and Tampa when they won had Pro-Bowl QBs served no relevance to their Super Bowl victory???

And the Chicago defense was far superior than Indy's, it's just one team had Grossman, the other Manning.

You build a team around a QB, but you will need a defense to win, it's cliche but true.

infantrycak 04-16-2007 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinny (Post 652700)
Um, take Manning off that team and they win no ring. Your logic escapes you young vulcan.

More like young Ewok.

WaywardTexanFan 04-17-2007 05:06 AM

I personally think that this is great news and may the curse continue for 1 more year. :splits: