Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Tony Hollings??? (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3700)

scourge 10-23-2004 03:13 PM

Tony Hollings???
 
can anyone tell me whats going on with him lately? Why haven't we see him play lately? Is he injured, or does Capers feel Wells is the better back? What gives??? idonno:

Bill's/TexanFan 10-23-2004 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scourge
can anyone tell me whats going on with him lately? Why haven't we see him play lately? Is he injured, or does Capers feel Wells is the better back? What gives??? idonno:

I think Tony's problems here are the same as they were in college at Georgia Tech....he just can't seem to stay healthy and on the field. Coaches tend to lose faith in a guy when he spends more time with the team doctor than he does on the field. No one working for the Texan's will admit it but you can bet they'd like to have that 2nd round draft select they gave for Hollings back! :twocents:

Mistril48 10-23-2004 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill's/TexanFan
... you can bet they'd like to have that 2nd round draft select they gave for Hollings back!

Actual Texans fans will remember that the Texans traded their 2nd 4th round pick in the 2002 draft (the one after Wells) to get an extra 3rd round pick in 2003. Next, they traded one of their extra 3rd round picks in 2003 (along with the Mr. irrelevant pick) to the Raiders for the Raiders 2nd round pick in 2004. This pick was exercised by the Texans near the end of the second round of the supplimental draft in 2003 (meaning that Hollings signed a contract as if drafted near the end of the second round). The huge benefit to the Texans of this was that although it was a 2004 pick they used, they had the benefit of Hollings being in training camp and with the team all through 2003, a year longer than most 2004 picks.

Don't be fooled. This is nothing like Julius Jones being a (true) 2nd round draft pick, out for the season with an injury. Hollings is healthy and will play this year.

powda 10-23-2004 05:25 PM

i think the biggest reason we havent seen more of hollings is our compulsive need to use the "3 kings formation". for those of you not familiar with that term or that personel...the package includes 3 wr's, 1 rb, and 1 te. clearly the texans feel more comfortable with davis and wells blocking then they do with hollings. and in a 1 back set the rb has to be a decent blocker.if you watch their most recent games the texans have used this formation A LOT.
its cut into hollings time.

to me it means the texans perfer to exploit 2nd cbs and nicklebacks or they just feel gaffney is the superior athlete. at any rate he will get his time...be patient.

nunusguy 10-23-2004 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by powda
clearly the texans feel more comfortable with davis and wells blocking then they do with hollings.

Yup, and is it any wonder because Hollings was a DB before playing briefly at
Geogia Tech in their offensive backfield, therefor he has very little experience
at any kind of blocking (last time I checked, that's not in a DBs job description). Elsewhere on this MB re. another topic, somebody said that NFL GMs/coaches will take a gamble or like to take a gamble sometimes on
picking a player - sorta like Oil & Gas guys looking for that elephant field. This
maybe is a good example of a Casserly gamble. And keeping with the analogy,
it may turn out to be a "dry hole".

Bill's/TexanFan 10-24-2004 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mistril48
Actual Texans fans will remember that the Texans traded their 2nd 4th round pick in the 2002 draft (the one after Wells) to get an extra 3rd round pick in 2003. Next, they traded one of their extra 3rd round picks in 2003 (along with the Mr. irrelevant pick) to the Raiders for the Raiders 2nd round pick in 2004. This pick was exercised by the Texans near the end of the second round of the supplimental draft in 2003 (meaning that Hollings signed a contract as if drafted near the end of the second round). The huge benefit to the Texans of this was that although it was a 2004 pick they used, they had the benefit of Hollings being in training camp and with the team all through 2003, a year longer than most 2004 picks.

Don't be fooled. This is nothing like Julius Jones being a (true) 2nd round draft pick, out for the season with an injury. Hollings is healthy and will play this year.

I remember fighting a battle once before with the issue being in which round Tony Hollings was selected. My point then was the same as now....regardless of all the trades & movement the selection still ended up being a 2nd rounder. Some people seem to feel that if we call Hollings a 3rd rounded it lessens the sting.....in my opinion it does not and I still believe the Texan's wish they had gone another direction with that selection.

ArlingtonTexan 10-24-2004 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill's/TexanFan
I remember fighting a battle once before with the issue being in which round Tony Hollings was selected. My point then was the same as now....regardless of all the trades & movement the selection still ended up being a 2nd rounder. Some people seem to feel that if we call Hollings a 3rd rounded it lessens the sting.....in my opinion it does not and I still believe the Texan's wish they had gone another direction with that selection.


The texans used a 2nd round pick on Hollings and trying spin it into something else is fruitless. You would have to give casserly a large dose of truth serium and put him under a hot light with a couple of guys nemd Bruno and Rex to admit they wished to go in another direction.

Remember, the Hollings pick occured after Davis was drafted, but before he broke out last year. July I think. Raiders were coming off a Superbowl appearance, so the Texans thought that the Raiders pick would be towards the bottom of the 2nd round, but the raider totally imploded and the pick winds up being the top in the 2nd. If texans had a crystal ball, i agree they would not have selected Tony Hollings with that pick.


BTW, don't give up on hollings as a RB. If a were the texans i would be going RBBC, not only to highlight the talents of 3 different players, but to keep all of them some version of healthy.

Mistril48 10-24-2004 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill's/TexanFan
... Some people seem to feel that if we call Hollings a 3rd rounded it lessens the sting ...

No sting to lessen (it's not like the Texans lost to a team from a city they used to call home ... now that would sting!). I just wanted to correct your misinformation.

The Texans 2004 2nd round pick was used to draft Babins (after trading other picks to the Tacks to move this pick up into the 1st round). Texan fans know this pick wasn't used for Hollings ... an extra pick was used for Hollings.

Texan fans are pleased the to have Wells, Davis and Hollings (three 4th round draft picks allocated by the NFL, IMO) as their RBs, although everyone has a different opinion has to how to develop them and which will emerge as the franchise RB. I put my faith in the team (coaches and Casserly) that is developing Carr and Johnson (and selected Hollings).

If you put all your eggs in one basket, like the Tacks did with Chris Brown, you run the risk that a 3rd string safety will knock him out of the game early and you'll drop to 4th in the division. Bummer.

For those people who wish the Texans weren't developing something special here in Houston (the hindsight group), it must drive them crazy that we drafted a David Carr and not a Tim Couch and an Andre Johnson and not a Peter Warrick.

Vinny 10-24-2004 01:08 PM

Nothing wrong with taking Hollings. We had Stacey Mack and a cast of nobodies at that time at running back and since you can't manufacture players like you do on the xbox it was not a crazy pick. Add in the fact that this was an extra expansion pick that was traded down from a 4th rounder over two years and we didn't 'lose' a 2nd rounder when we picked him, I think all this crying is silly. If we didn't take Hollings we would still need a RB. We had extra picks in our first two years so we took a developmental RB with one of them. Not such a crime.

Guys like Stepen Davis, Reubin Droughns, and Priest Holmes did nothing of note their first 3 years in the NFL. I think we can be patient on a guy his first full year away from major knee surgery. At least some of us can.

infantrycak 10-24-2004 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill's/TexanFan
I think Tony's problems here are the same as they were in college at Georgia Tech....he just can't seem to stay healthy and on the field. Coaches tend to lose faith in a guy when he spends more time with the team doctor than he does on the field. No one working for the Texan's will admit it but you can bet they'd like to have that 2nd round draft select they gave for Hollings back! :twocents:

The guy had one injury as a RB in college--one common to RB's. That is your definition of "can't seem to stay healthy?" Particularly funny coming from a Bills fan.

HJam72 10-25-2004 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mistril48
For those people who wish the Texans weren't developing something special here in Houston (the hindsight group), it must drive them crazy that we drafted a David Carr and not a Tim Couch and an Andre Johnson and not a Peter Warrick.

Message from: The Hindsight Group, INC.

In hindsight, selecting Andre Johnson and David Carr was a terrible decision. That's 2 whole players I have nothing to complain about and I blame that problem on the coaching staff. For this reason (among others which I will not discuss at this time <Pass the ball!>), I say, "Fire Capers!"

PS.-I'm not just the President, but I'm also a whiner. :BananaWav


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger