Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Trotter (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37)

astrofan 04-30-2004 01:19 AM

Trotter

If Trotter gets cut June 1, would we be interested?

How does contract/salary work for these "cap casualties"?

I have read so much speculation about the LB lineup

Would we be better or worse with Jamie and Trotter up the middle and a Babin/Peek/Wong combo on the outside.

I know very little about defensive schemes, but it seems that at the very least it would take a little heat off the "Payne and pray for rain" depth at NT we are looking at right now.

I would start in on what it would allow us to do on third down passing situations, but the blood is draining from my brain...

rittenhouserobz 04-30-2004 01:39 AM

I wonder if we have the cap room to get him.

clandestin 04-30-2004 03:05 AM

I wouldn't be especially high on the signing astrofan, based on salary cap and the fact that I don't see a huge need there. In the 3-4 I just don't think two dominant ILBS gets you nearly as much as two dominant OLBS do. As an offshoot, I'm not quite as negative on foreman as some. I think he's a solid player--not great, but solid.

I think foreman's a guy that performs when his DL keeps guys off of him. Jonathan Vilma was described in a similar way before the draft, and even Brian Urlacher saw his production fall when the DL in front of him was down-graded. I'm in sort of a wait and see mode for our LB core, I think that by the end of 2004 we'll have a much better idea as to where our D stands.

In terms of post June 1 free-agency, I would look for solid depth at NT, reasonably-priced depth at ILB (as opposed to a new starter,) and perhaps a #2/#3 WR if a great deal can be had.

V Man 04-30-2004 09:41 AM

I also don't think the Texans will be looking for another ILB (unless they can sign him cheap). Sharper is great, Foreman did o.k., and everyone says they would like to move Wong inside. So I don't see us making a run at him if he becomes available. :banana:

BigTex 04-30-2004 12:36 PM

As Of The moment I think CC has the linebacking core he wants, I Don't see him making a run at another LB. I think Peek, Babin, Wong, Sharper and company are just who he wants this season

Blake 04-30-2004 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTex
As Of The moment I think CC has the linebacking core he wants, I Don't see him making a run at another LB. I think Peek, Babin, Wong, Sharper and company are just who he wants this season

Yup.

Babin Foreman Sharper Wong
Peek Foreman Sharper Clemons

astrofan 04-30-2004 02:05 PM

I understand that we are set at LB, I am just a sucker for Texas guys.

Still, does anyone know the intricacies of signing guys cut June 1, not just Trotter, but anyone?

I know the Titans are going to have some serious decisions to make, and it would be nice to kick them when they're down.

keyfro 04-30-2004 02:09 PM

trotter is a solid inside linebacker...but he's also a spoiled brat in my eyes...constantly wanting more money and more attention...and some how he isn't able to get enough of that with synder as the owner...could see him being picked up by KC, or Oak who are both in need of a quality ILB...as for the june cuts...as far as i know it's just like signing a UFA...they're up for grabs everyone gets a chance and they sign with who they want

Chance_C 04-30-2004 02:18 PM

Quote:

As an offshoot, I'm not quite as negative on foreman as some. I think he's a solid player--not great, but solid.
I agree, I think he is a solid player. My knock on him is lack of penetration. Most of his tackles are 5 yards downfield of the line of scrimmage. His position is upgradeable, and I would never wince to see him come on the field as a backup. He would provide great depth, but I think the job is still his. And when new contract time comes, he will either accept backup money, or probably be gone. But, IMO, he has done an adequate job for us.

keyfro 04-30-2004 07:42 PM

when you look at foreman's job he isn't the main ILB for us...that's sharper...and he's a nice compliment to sharper...he picks up the tackles when he's there...his playing style is a lot like lawerence flugence of texas tech a few years ago...not the fastest LB in the game but one of the better tacklers...90% of the time will make the tackle just won't make it in the backfield...he'll make it when the guy gets to him

infantrycak 04-30-2004 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keyfro
when you look at foreman's job he isn't the main ILB for us...that's sharper...and he's a nice compliment to sharper...he picks up the tackles when he's there...his playing style is a lot like lawerence flugence of texas tech a few years ago...not the fastest LB in the game but one of the better tacklers...90% of the time will make the tackle just won't make it in the backfield...he'll make it when the guy gets to him

True--Foreman is a solid player (don't know that there is really a main ILB, it is just that Sharper is clearly better), but he is someone that when you look at the team could be upgraded.

Guid2000 04-30-2004 11:21 PM

Let's build more depth up front

I think we probably have enough athletes at LB to work with. I am still nervous about the front three. If anymore money is spent this offseason, let's get a DT since we did not draft one.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS 05-01-2004 12:07 AM

forget about trotter. if haynesworth is cut we should get him instead.

astrofan 05-01-2004 10:41 AM

Big Al

I love Haynesworth, but/and have heard that he is 30+ lbs out of shape
I find this hard to take seriously, knowing what an incredible physical specimen he is.

Good analogy to Flugence

keyfro 05-01-2004 11:06 AM

haynesworth could be cut in june but i honestly doubt he will be...they spent a 1st rounder on him and i think the fans down there would just be in shock that their coaching staff is having problems keeping talent on their team...if he is cut however and we pick him up...let's hope he gets some sort of fire back into his belly and wants to get back into shape and play...would only be in rotation this season

rams-rule 07-12-2006 01:48 AM

Jerimiah Is a great player, too bad you did not get him.:crying: