Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Impressed with Texans (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3494)

GI-Dawgs 10-14-2004 12:36 PM

Impressed with Texans
 
I really have no favorite team. I play FF and with my NFL Sunday Ticket it affords me the opportunity to watch any game. With that said, I have Carr (also have Dominick) and have been starting them all season. I always watch my QB play, so I watch Houston play every week.

I have to say, I'm very impresssed with the Texans. Coming into the Minnesota game this team could very easily been 4-0 and the talk of the NFL. I felt that if Houston didn't turn the ball over they would give Minnesota all they can handle. I have to admit when they were down 21 I thought it was over. Carr looks to be one of those Elway type QB's that you can never count out. I noticed he has started slow every game and really turns it up in the second half.
I'm afraid because of the first two games it will be difficult for them to be a playoff contender this year. Unfortunatley they play in a very tough division and are still growing as a team. But... I would hate to have to play them in late November and December if I was a team contending for the playoffs. This team is getting better each week and by season's end I feel they will be better than a few of the playoff teams. The defense needs to improve and I beleive they will, Coach Capers is a good defensive minded coach. Haven't heard much of this Armstrong kid, but boy did he look good last week. I think he caught everything throwed his way. Ya'll have alot to look forward to. It should be a lot of fun, and I'm looking forward watching this team grow into a very good football team. :thumbup

Double Barrel 10-14-2004 01:02 PM

Good post, GI-Dawgs (and welcome to the forum!).

I agree with you that Carr looks like an Elway-type QB. He had impressed me from the first franchise game (19-10 over Dallas - !yay!) that we had something great right from the beginning. He just never gives up and puts 100% of himself into every play, regardless if it is the first play of the game or the last.

His receiving corps is quickly becoming a unit, and I think it will be one of the best in the NFL within the next year or so. Once the O-line gells and provides Carr consistent protection that he can trust every play.

Txnpride 10-14-2004 06:57 PM

Dont forget we need to establish a CONSISTENT running game....I thought that was a strenth coming into this season

Aussie 10-15-2004 02:01 AM

with DD % 100 healthy we have that extra dimension that makes us extremey tough to beat. I dont get all the anti DD talk that i see on this board just because we got a kid in the supp draft who looked like a freak in the early season with GT?? my question about that was why did he come out early??? maybe because he knew that he isnt all that good and that the start to that season that he had there was on anomally and he better look to get drafted while he had a bit of hype. DD is our TB and i am glad he is goin to be for a long time.

bckey 10-15-2004 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GI-Dawgs
I really have no favorite team. I play FF and with my NFL Sunday Ticket it affords me the opportunity to watch any game. With that said, I have Carr (also have Dominick) and have been starting them all season. I always watch my QB play, so I watch Houston play every week.

I have to say, I'm very impresssed with the Texans. Coming into the Minnesota game this team could very easily been 4-0 and the talk of the NFL. I felt that if Houston didn't turn the ball over they would give Minnesota all they can handle. I have to admit when they were down 21 I thought it was over. Carr looks to be one of those Elway type QB's that you can never count out. I noticed he has started slow every game and really turns it up in the second half.
I'm afraid because of the first two games it will be difficult for them to be a playoff contender this year. Unfortunatley they play in a very tough division and are still growing as a team. But... I would hate to have to play them in late November and December if I was a team contending for the playoffs. This team is getting better each week and by season's end I feel they will be better than a few of the playoff teams. The defense needs to improve and I beleive they will, Coach Capers is a good defensive minded coach. Haven't heard much of this Armstrong kid, but boy did he look good last week. I think he caught everything throwed his way. Ya'll have alot to look forward to. It should be a lot of fun, and I'm looking forward watching this team grow into a very good football team. :thumbup


Please don't ever compare our QB with that chump Elway. Thank You.

infantrycak 10-15-2004 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aussie
my question about that was why did he come out early??? maybe because he knew that he isnt all that good and that the start to that season that he had there was on anomally and he better look to get drafted while he had a bit of hype. DD is our TB and i am glad he is goin to be for a long time.

Well, it could have been that, OR it might have been the fact that he was academically ineligible to play his senior year.

GI-Dawgs 10-15-2004 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Txnpride
Dont forget we need to establish a CONSISTENT running game....I thought that was a strenth coming into this season

I think the running game will be fine. Davis may be running a bit tenative because of the fumbles in the first two games. He should be healther, in terms of the ankle and be more effective this week

GI-Dawgs 10-15-2004 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bckey
Please don't ever compare our QB with that chump Elway. Thank You.

I take it your not an Elway fan. Sure would be nice to see Carr have 2 Super Bowl wins on the resume someday.

infantrycak 10-15-2004 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GI-Dawgs
I take it your not an Elway fan. Sure would be nice to see Carr have 2 Super Bowl wins on the resume someday.

True, but it would also be nice not to waste the prime of Carr's career by not having a balanced attack and just winging the ball all the time like some folks around here want to do. 33 seasons and 113,836 passing yards between him and Marino and the only two superbowls came when Denver had a stout running game.

GI-Dawgs 10-15-2004 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infantrycak
True, but it would also be nice not to waste the prime of Carr's career by not having a balanced attack and just winging the ball all the time like some folks around here want to do. 33 seasons and 113,836 passing yards between him and Marino and the only two superbowls came when Denver had a stout running game.

No argument here you need a balanced attack. I think Houston has that. Falling behind 21 points forced Houston to kinda scrap the running game last week. Take what the defense gives ya.
Carr hasn't reached his prime yet. He is just starting up the ladder.

edo783 10-15-2004 11:15 AM

I think most folks are more upset with that we seem to play tentativly until we get behind and THEN unleash the dogs. We need to be aggressive AND unpredictable. That doesn't mean throw it all the time, but rather do that which is aggressive and unpredictable. Let's act like we are trying to stomp the other team rather than just keep it close and see if we can steal it in the 4th. I suspect that if we play aggresivly and wind up losing, folks won't like the loss, but will like that we played to win.

Grid 10-15-2004 05:51 PM

eh.. I dont think anyone here is stupid enough to say that the running game isnt important.

No one wants a nonexistant running game.. me personally, i want a "secondary" running game. The running game comes second to the passing game.. we use the pass to open the rush.. we rush to open up more passing plays.. we rush when it is important that we run down the clock... thats about it. We dont need an all star running back to do that.. we just need a GOOD running back who wont squander an opportunity to get big yards.


Unfortunatly we have a defensive minded coaching staff and they want D.Davis to be S. Davis.. and are gonna keep running 30-40 times a game till he gets a season ending injury or we go 0-16

HJam72 10-16-2004 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bckey
Please don't ever compare our QB with that chump Elway. Thank You.

I've never heard anyone call Elway that. I mean I thought he was probably the best ever, not that I care if someone was unimpressed with him. Just out of curiosity, what's your reasoning?
idonno:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:59 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger