Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Moss vs. Texans (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3206)

burntheends 10-04-2004 01:44 PM

Moss vs. Texans

What do the Texans need to do to stop Randy Moss? I am just not sure if Aaron Glenn is tall enough to contain him...maybe devote Marcus Coleman and Glenn towards him. Holding him to anything under 100 yards and 2 TDs would atleast be a minor victory.

DavidCarr_Fan8 10-04-2004 01:47 PM

Yeah we will need 3, 4 guys to cover him, and we arent going to back all of our defensive backs on him, so I don't think we will be able too.... :thumbdown . Hopefully we can still pull it off though! I think we will lose this game...but we will win week 6 vs. the Titans so we will be 3-3!!! :thumbup

JDizzle 10-04-2004 01:49 PM

I say you put the rook on him. What better learning experience could that be?

WWJD 10-04-2004 01:49 PM

I don't think either Texan corner can cover this guy...the Vikings can put out a pretty potent offense if they are on their game.

The defense needs to get a good pass rush. I'm not so sure we can win if it's going to turn into a scoring contest.

texasguy346 10-04-2004 01:50 PM

We'll probably do what most teams have done with him so far this season. We'll double him most of the game, and throw 3 defenders at him in obvious passing situations. CB covering him, Safety over top, and let a LB drift deep into coverage underneath him. The problem with that strategy is that they can run the ball more easily against the defense. If all else fails we can hope that he misses his flight.

Beastlyman2003 10-04-2004 01:51 PM

Yea, i think Aaron Glen has the speed, but definatly not the vertical or height. We should get a little rough and the first time he tries a deep route, use our rookie SS Glen Earl(the consensous HARDEST HITTING PLAYER IN COLLEGE FOOTBALL), and not worry about one penalty. We should just run right through his *** and hell probably think twice or hesitate from running those deep routes through Earl's zone.

Nawzer 10-04-2004 01:52 PM

I don't think we can stop Moss, but we have to make sure the other guys don't beat us. They have good receiver like Kelly Campbell and running back Onterrio Smith can be a dangerous weapon out of the backfield. They have some injuries with guys like Kleinsasser, but stopping Culpepper and Moss will be the toughest challenge this season in my opinion. We should try to slow down Moss and make sure their other guys don't beat us.

ccdude730 10-04-2004 01:56 PM

you could always try coleman back at corner for this game. but i think that would be kind of pointless.

glenn will do a good job as long as he isnt out there too long by himself. they might try that 2 deep safty stuff i always hear about but know nothing about. a good pass rush will most deffinately help. when you have a great combo like culpepper and moss they will get their hookups.

blockhead83 10-04-2004 01:57 PM

Yea, I'm afraid we won't be able to do anything to stop Moss. He's arguably the best wide receiver in the league right now, and he has a great connection with Culpepper. Glenn might be able to run with him, but he certainly won't be able to jump with him. We can do our best to get physical with him, double and triple team him, and try to make them beat us with their other weapons (which are still very dangerous).

Nawzer 10-04-2004 02:01 PM

Hopefully we'll have Eric Brown back so he can knock around some of their guys and make them hesistant. Once again getting pressure on Culpepper will be important, but that dude can run too so we have to be careful not to overpursue.

RTP2110 10-04-2004 02:02 PM

Well step #1 is PRESSURE DAUNTE CULPEPPER!!!!!
After that, just put your best CB on him, shade a S to his side, and hope for the best. Hey if Derrick Vaughn and Kenny Wright can hold Harrison to just 2 catches, we can slow down Moss. Just don't give him too much attention or the other WRs will beat us.

J-Man 10-04-2004 02:17 PM

I think we might be over reacting a bit to the Moss threat. He is clearly the most dangerous single downfield threat in the NFL...but he is only one guy.

The Eagles held Moss to 8 catches, 69yrds, and 1 TD in a losing effort. I actually think our secondary is at LEAST equal to the Eagles, particularly our corners. Everyone knows Moss will get his touches but the if we can sustain some of the pass rush that we showed against Oakland that will go a long way to helping us. The other end of this is that the Vikes O-line is somewhate erratic...some games they are very solid and sometimes they are horrible. If we can maintain some pressure on Culpepper and contain his ability to make plays with his feet we will be in good shape.

Oh by the way...the Vikes defense definetly has the potential to get lit up by Carr & Co, so things aren't as bleak as some folks believe. Not saying that we're not going to have to play a solid game in all phases and work for some positive turnovers to win, it's just not as doom and gloom as I've seen some posts indicating.

texan279 10-04-2004 02:26 PM

IMO get pressure on Culpepper is #1 like RTP said. We can't put all of our focus on Randy Moss. If we double and triple team him all game, sure we shut him down, but we give their other WR's a chance to have a big game. I honestly think we can win this game. This is the NFL, any one team can beat another team any Sunday. Remember when the Cards beat the Vikes last year? If it's not raining I say open the roof, let 'em feel some Texas heat.

texansfan88 10-04-2004 02:27 PM

double coverage clap clap clap clap clap double coverage clap clap clap clap clap clap

Carr Bombed 10-04-2004 02:57 PM

The eagles have showed us how to beat Moss. You have to get pressure on Cullpepper and if he does the ball, that makes Moss a blocker and all contact is legal, so you knock the **** out of him. Every time he comes over the middle you knock the **** out of him. Our defense has to get pressure and don't hesitate to blitz and be very physical.

Fiddy 10-04-2004 03:36 PM

The Texans have to pray and keep the roof open
Quote:

The Vikings were 0-6 outdoors in 2001, 0-6 in 2002, 1-4 last year and 0-1 this season. That's a 1-17 record when playing in fresh air.
http://www.freep.com/sports/lions/sylvester-bar124e_20040924.htm

That quote was from a couple of weeks ago...

sprtsfanatic 10-04-2004 04:04 PM

thats a hell of a stat to know...Thanks Fiddy...I knew they were bad outdoors...but no where near THAT BAD.

texasguy346 10-04-2004 04:12 PM

Nice info Fiddy. So Open the roof for Culpepper and the Vikes, and close it for Farve and the Packers. The pressure will be key, and that was a big part of the Eagle's success against the Vikes. They're expecting to have Bennett back, and they might have Onterrio Smith as well. He's a tough guy to bring down, and does well on screen passes. It looks as though the Vikes rely heavily on their TEs, and I'm sure DC won't mind some TE catches if he can limit Moss and slow down the run. Moss is very dangerous in the redzone though. I'm not as worried about him beating Glenn deep as I am about him jumping over Glenn in the endzone for a couple TD catches. Like most people have said so far I feel that we'll have to play a very good game in all phases, and get some turnovers and a lucky break or two. Should be fun to watch.

scourge 10-04-2004 04:25 PM

They won't have Bennett or O. Smith most likely. It's all gonna be on Moe Williams, and he's not too shabby either.

texasguy346 10-04-2004 04:27 PM

I just read about Bennett. Where'd you hear about Smith? I heard his appeal was supposed to be heard soon, but I wasn't aware of when. Are you sure his suspension will being this Sunday? Moe Williams and Mewelde Moore. Pretty good stable of RBs.