Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Babin & Peek (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2983)

JDTexan 09-26-2004 03:46 PM

Babin & Peek

If we want to get any pressure on the quarterback, we need to start Peek. You saw what he did towards the end of the game (make plays!) and that's what the defense needs right now.

Babin is just not good enough to start right now. He doesn't know how to rush the passer in the NFL at this point. Maybe he'll learn in the future, but in the interim, we need a playmacker now.

Peek should be the starter from this point on. :thumbup

Trogdor014 09-26-2004 03:53 PM

You do realize that we didn't blitz as much when Babin was in the game, right? Peek played good and he had 2 sacks, but no one even blocked him when he was blitzing.

I could have made his first sack. The Olinemen responsible for blocking him turned inside and let him go. The second sack we had 3 guys in front of Green. I still think Peek plays too wrecklessly at times, but if it fires up our D then I'm all for starting him. :twocents:

BWPaint 09-26-2004 03:57 PM

It is clear that Babin's speed is side to side....his rush has not been all that good in the first 3 games, although much has been said how good he is...average at best, but he is young.

Time for him to sit and learn, we need as much speed as possible, especially with the D-Line getting man-handled every week.

Next draft should be all O-Line and D-Line....it all starts in the trenches.

Marcus 09-26-2004 03:58 PM

I believe the reason why Peek isn't starting already is NOT because of ablity to put pressure on the QB. His run defense and pass coverage are what's suspect.

Keldar 09-26-2004 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trogdor014
I still think Peek plays too wrecklessly at times, but if it fires up our D then I'm all for starting him. :twocents:

You shmacked the Nail on the Head. This mediocre, coma inducing defense needs a Peek at playing with intensity.

JDTexan 09-26-2004 03:59 PM

You're right..

I agree with you trogdor, those sacks were easy, but Peek is quicker than Babin and I'll take Peek's "wrecklesness" if it sparks the defense.

He's in the right place at the right time. I'll take that all day.

Fiddy 09-26-2004 04:05 PM

When Babin was in the Texans only brought 3 and dropped 8 into coverage. Peek came in at the end of the game when we knew they were passing and we needed pressure and get the ball back...

pittbull 09-26-2004 04:21 PM

Peek

Peek brings what this defense needs, fire! Although his pass coverage and rush defense may be suspect at times, this guy has the havoc that causes matchup problems for slow tackles. This team took on a whole new look when he was in the game and the defense exploded back in the game with big plays! PEEK A BOO, I SEE YOU!!! Way to go Peek!

Nawzer 09-26-2004 04:28 PM

Babin at times today got dominated on pass plays and rushing the qb. I saw him get thrown to the ground and Tony Gonzalez brushed him off a couple of times. Peek made the plays when he was given the opportunity and that's what it comes down to. Babin will improve and he went up against the best o-line in the league, but he'll be ok. Peek at times looks like he's about to loose it, but his pass rushing skills right now are what we need.

Tulip 09-26-2004 04:29 PM

I love that about Peek as well - that fire, that thirst for blood. I love seeing a player gunning the backfield. And at this point, I'd rather see someone overpursue than be too cautious.

ArlingtonTexan 09-26-2004 04:29 PM

Peek and Babin are to different type of players. Babin is a high motor effort with mutliple moves guy. Peek is a speed rusher. Wong is probably the odd man out over time. Honestly, I have thought the Peek would become situational for Wong as a pass rusher at sometime this year. Babin and wong are more similiar with Babin probably having more long term potential.

nunusguy 09-26-2004 04:39 PM

I just don't know if Babin has the pure burst to be a superior edge rusher, but
when and if he finally makes the adjustment to playing from the upright, wonder
if he would be more suited to play inside LB ?

ArlingtonTexan 09-26-2004 05:04 PM

Peek does make me notice how much the pure speed element is missing from the texans defense and on that alone he should see a lot more time.

phan1 09-26-2004 05:05 PM

Well, I'm not a person who likes to change things too much, but when you find something that works for you, you've got to make changes. I'm not for Peek totally taking Babin's place, but on 3rd downs and passing situations, let's put Peek in there!

Keldar 09-26-2004 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tulip
I love that about Peek as well - that fire, that thirst for blood. I love seeing a player gunning the backfield. And at this point, I'd rather see someone overpursue than be too cautious.

I agree, Tulip..........and you thought that would never happen between us. :love:

Porky 09-26-2004 05:26 PM

Apparently, none of the Peek for President fan club watched the preseason game in Pittsburgh. If you had, you would know why there is no way in haides that man is starting over Babin. He can't play the run. End of story. If you can't contain on the outside, you can't play on any running down at all. Add to that the fact that he isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer, and it's easy to see why he hasn't played much. Having said that, he has a great burst to the QB, and on pure passing downs, he needs to be in there. But starting? Come on... eek:

TexansFight 09-26-2004 05:42 PM

I am glad that Peek finally saw the field towards the end of the game. He is one of the few pure pass rushers on the field. Babin might be better over all in terms of coverage and pass rushing but Peek can get after it put the opposing offense back on their heels. I would like to see Peek AND Babin in at the same time. Wong has been a great disappointment in my mind. He hasn't brought the pressure as on OLB that we thought he would.

Panther5407 09-26-2004 07:04 PM

Wasn't Peek an end in college? I'd kinda like to see him there. I don't know how and I know how some say he is to small in size but just try to tell him that.

TexanExile 09-26-2004 07:13 PM

I thought Wong did a pretty good job today.

Babin's not there yet. Neither is D-Rob, and God knows Seth Wand's still playing in slow motion. We just have to stick with them for a while and let them get some more NFL experience.

Now, that being said, Peek should be on the field more often. This defense does seem to get a little passive sometimes, and he fires them up. He is by no means a starter, but cut the man loose a few times!

jhawktx 09-26-2004 07:17 PM

Peek is a potential monster at OLB. If he can get and keep his head on straight he has great upside. They've already committed to Babin though. Peek will have to be head and shoulders better to take over his spot.