Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   The end of DD? (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2840)

El Tejano 09-20-2004 08:08 AM

The end of DD?
 
I am not saying he will no longer be a good running back but I think we will not see the same RB with that quick burst to the whole anymore. Yesterday, after the two fumbles, I saw a different running back. I saw a guy that would get 6to 7 yards on some of those carries only getting like 3 because he was too concerned with holding the football. I think this will now play a role in his ability to make those big runs he used to make.

Also, I feel that he needs to not start this coming weekend. Still play him, just don't start. Let him get a feel of what it was like before he got to start for us. Capers always talks about putting the people in who give you the best chance to win games, well fumbling hasn't helped us yet. I doubt this happens though because it hasn't already.

Don't get me wrong, I know in my heart Domanick is going to be a good player for us, and quite honestly i like that we make him a focal point of our offense but he has killed some really good drives this season and we haven't been able to show the kind of team we are because of it. C'mon Domanick stop doing your Tony Hollings impersonations!!!

OzzO 09-20-2004 08:21 AM

He, just like quite a few of us just got a reality check - that's all. Kinda hard to be that playoff team with 1500 yards rushing if you keep turning it over or having penalties.

It's interesting that the top 3 errors heard are
1. turnovers
2. penalties
3. defense stops.
(I won't acknowledge the "wanna be firings"
.. and pretty much everyone says right after that it's fixable.... well, then fix it. DD's just gonna have to get his confidence back and that's not gonna be regained on the bench.

HJam72 09-20-2004 08:46 AM

Angry
 
I think you can gain a lot of confidense by sitting on the bench and getting angry for a while. I also think that, while QB controversies are disruptive to team flow, RB controversies are extremely healthy. Let the 3 of them duke it out. We might get massive gains out of it all. RBs tend to gain sudden speed and power when they're fighting for a job that they previously thought they had in the bag or had alreadly completely lost--and they become ball magnets. A few good quarters by Hollings and Wells and Davis will be holding the ball with two arms all the time, like it is his golden egg paycheck, while running over people in the process, lol. He needs to appreciate being the #1 guy more and look forward to that 2000 yds. a little less. 2000 yds. and 30 fumbles is just not gonna help us.

J-Man 09-20-2004 12:38 PM

HJam...you have some good points there, but I'm not sure I buy into it totally. I think that if you really have faith in your RB you keep putting the rock in his hands. I remember early in Emmit Smith's career that some of his best games had a couple early fumbles or that the game following a poor outing he would turn up the fire. I think his drive to excell made him work thru that and become better. I am not saying that DD is the next Emmitt, but I think that we should feed the ball to him (fewer screen passes though!) and let him over come this or at least give him another couple opportunities.

jacquescas 09-20-2004 01:53 PM

If Hollings is 100% i'd give him some carries. But the chiefs defense might be just something where you can start rebuilding his confidance. Quentin Griffin and Deshaun Foster have both set career highs against that defense. They are pourous. He could probably put up big numbers and not fumble against them, weather we win or not is another story, but rebuilding his confidance now is key.

if he fumbles once, bench him for the rest of the game.

Chance_C 09-20-2004 02:17 PM

Well, the fumbling has got to stop, no doubt about it. But, he will get plenty of opportunities to fumble this weekend. Why? Because he will not be benched.

El Tejano 09-20-2004 02:21 PM

The one thing I will say is that if we wouldn't turn the ball over, the offensive philosophy would be pretty darn good. I noticed that in the fourth quarter, we tend to run the ball alot better because of our dedication to the run the entire game and the defensive line is worn down a little. Let's just hope DD holds on to the ball so we can keep our defense off the field against the Chiefs.

HJam72 09-20-2004 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caddy
It not like he's carring it wrong. I watch him, most of the
time he tucks under both arms when he gets tackled. :boxing:

Maybe I'm watching too critically after those first three fumbles. I wonder if some are right about him being worn out. Some are sayig that other teams are loading up in the box and making it harder on him, while Carr is still not getting deep passes, most of the time. When Carr does throw, he is dumping it off to Davis, who just gets more worn down. I do think some of that could be helped out, though, by using another back more often to give Davis more rest during the game. Is it Carr's fault that he winds up dumping it to Davis? I guess, but if the opponent is blitzing so much, why aren't we passing to the tight end more, also? I still say that fumbles, of course, are inexcusable. 25 men in the box would still not make fumbles OK, but I'm sure that Davis is totally aware of that.

I'm not real good about watching what the other team's defense is doing.

Fiddy 09-20-2004 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HJam72
I wonder if some are right about him being worn out.

If Davis is "worn out" two games into the season, he should not be the starting running back and should be the 3rd down back that everyone thought he was going to be when he entered the NFL...

CaptainPatriot 09-20-2004 07:13 PM

Now Teams know he fumbles. They are going to be putting a helmet or grabbing on the ball all the time. It will be an uphill battle mentally for DD! He will start to put both hands on the ball, which will take away from him hitting the hole full speed :tiptoe:

Panther5407 09-20-2004 07:19 PM

DD will be fine. Its not like the greats (Payton, Sanders, Emmit Smith, etc.) have gone through something hard in the early years. He just needs to find the spot in his arm where the ball won't comeout.

Jwwillis 09-20-2004 07:23 PM

DD starts. If he fumbles once he will sit. No telling when to return, probably depends on how well Hollings does. Remember Hollings was the one with fumble problems heading into the season..kinda scary. Wonder how Well's knee is doing :rofl:

Huge 09-20-2004 07:23 PM

Davis has as many fumbles this year as he had all season last year. So his fumbles this year does not indicate a trend.

He'll get past it and the Texans will be better for having kept him in the starting lineup.

Jwwillis 09-20-2004 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptainPatriot
Now Teams know he fumbles. They are going to be putting a helmet or grabbing on the ball all the time. It will be an uphill battle mentally for DD! He will start to put both hands on the ball, which will take away from him hitting the hole full speed :tiptoe:

One of the advantages is though is that If they are going for the ball and not the RB they are more likely to miss or allow more yardage. If he hangs on for a while they will stop taking chances.

Ibar_Harry 09-20-2004 08:03 PM

I have been very adiment that DD's problem with fumbling is as much to do with play calling as anything else. When the other team stacks the line and you are behind you will be trying extra hard to get the needed yardage. DD's fumbles are coming from effort, not from doing crazy things with the ball. The conservative play calling trying to stay just ahead of the opponent, remember if you are too far ahead would be unfair, is a big part of the problem. They also are keying on the run, because while we are potentially a great threat passing wise they know DOM only has confidence in the run and that must be his 1st point of attack. They know if you stop the run DOM will not adjust and that's a way to get an early lead on the TEXANS. You also know that once the TEXANS have the lead, they will return to the run giving you plenty of opportunity to stop it and gain back the lead.

DD is a very, solid to excellent running back who has to be used in a way that makes him effective. If you repeatidly run him into large clusters of defenders, he's not going to be effective. While he is extremely good at finding holes, he needs a little space to be at his best.

AND LET US PUT TO REST BENCHING DD, BECAUSE OUR ONLY OTHER EFFECTIVE BACK IS CARR. WE CERTAINLY DON'T WANT TO RUN CARR ON EVERY PLAY. HOLLINGS IS A BUST PURE AND SIMPLE AND THEY KNOW THAT. DOM is trying to use DD like he's a big physcially dominating back and that's not what DD is. Does that mean he can't gain 2000 yards? No, quite the contrary. If he is used effectively he can do us a hell of a lot of good. Its coaching once again, pure and simple.

GAME MANAGEMENT by the TEXANS SUCKS. The coaches need to take a refresher course and see what they come up with. I'm sorry, but I have been watching things since the inception of the team and all of the lame excuses about offense just doesn't cut it with me any more. How many receivers do we have? Then how many times did they get the ball in the last game? How many yards did we have through the air vs Detroit? How good of an arm does David have vs many other QB's? The coaches need to quit making excuses for their poor judgement and quit blaming the players.

Its been my understanding that run blocking is not the same as pass blocking. I think what has happened is that DOM and company decided that DD was so great they were going to change their blocking scheme for him, because he was going to become the total focus of our game plan. The end result is that we are employing a blocking scheme that is very ineffective in protecting David. Once again, don't blame the players they are doing what they were told and taught to do. Are there some mistakes which you are seeing, most definitely yes. However, the bulk of the problems are the coaching staff and what they are doing. Its not the players. They are trying their D****est and all they get is you know what because its not working.

AGAIN ITS TIME FOR THE COACHING STAFF TO WAKE UP AND SEE THE HAND WRITING ON THE WALL.

Jwwillis 09-20-2004 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
I have been very adiment that DD's problem with fumbling is as much to do with play calling as anything else. When the other team stacks the line and you are behind you will be trying extra hard to get the needed yardage. DD's fumbles are coming from effort, not from doing crazy things with the ball. The conservative play calling trying to stay just ahead of the opponent, remember if you are too far ahead would be unfair, is a big part of the problem. They also are keying on the run, because while we are potentially a great threat passing wise they know DOM only has confidence in the run and that must be his 1st point of attack. They know if you stop the run DOM will not adjust and that's a way to get an early lead on the TEXANS. You also know that once the TEXANS have the lead, they will return to the run giving you plenty of opportunity to stop it and gain back the lead.

DD is a very, solid to excellent running back who has to be used in a way that makes him effective. If you repeatidly run him into large clusters of defenders, he's not going to be effective. While he is extremely good at finding holes, he needs a little space to be at his best.

AND LET US PUT TO REST BENCHING DD, BECAUSE OUR ONLY OTHER EFFECTIVE BACK IS CARR. WE CERTAINLY DON'T WANT TO RUN CARR ON EVERY PLAY. HOLLINGS IS A BUST PURE AND SIMPLE AND THEY KNOW THAT. DOM is trying to use DD like he's a big physcially dominating back and that's not what DD is. Does that mean he can't gain 2000 yards? No, quite the contrary. If he is used effectively he can do us a hell of a lot of good. Its coaching once again, pure and simple.

GAME MANAGEMENT by the TEXANS SUCKS. The coaches need to take a refresher course and see what they come up with. I'm sorry, but I have been watching things since the inception of the team and all of the lame excuses about offense just doesn't cut it with me any more. How many receivers do we have? Then how many times did they get the ball in the last game? How many yards did we have through the air vs Detroit? How good of an arm does David have vs many other QB's? The coaches need to quit making excuses for their poor judgement and quit blaming the players.

Its been my understanding that run blocking is not the same as pass blocking. I think what has happened is that DOM and company decided that DD was so great they were going to change their blocking scheme for him, because he was going to become the total focus of our game plan. The end result is that we are employing a blocking scheme that is very ineffective in protecting David. Once again, don't blame the players they are doing what they were told and taught to do. Are there some mistakes which you are seeing, most definitely yes. However, the bulk of the problems are the coaching staff and what they are doing. Its not the players. They are trying their D****est and all they get is you know what because its not working.

AGAIN ITS TIME FOR THE COACHING STAFF TO WAKE UP AND SEE THE HAND WRITING ON THE WALL.

!!!! :rofl: !!!!

infantrycak 09-20-2004 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
HOLLINGS IS A BUST PURE AND SIMPLE AND THEY KNOW THAT. DOM is trying to use DD like he's a big physcially dominating back and that's not what DD is.

Ibar, have you managed to watch more than 4 of the Texans' games so far or are you still just looking at stats? Hollings sure did look like a bust as he swept right in front of me for a 27 yard game against San Diego (after the 16 yd gain by DD called back on a hold). In any event, is McGahee a bust as well--by the way he averaged less than Hollings this year so far?

As for DD, he may not be a big back but he is a physical back. Check back for the all time leader for yards and you may find that he is a physical but not big back.

Quote:

Its been my understanding that run blocking is not the same as pass blocking. I think what has happened is that DOM and company decided that DD was so great they were going to change their blocking scheme for him, because he was going to become the total focus of our game plan. The end result is that we are employing a blocking scheme that is very ineffective in protecting David.
And you have been repeatedly corrected on this assertion. The Texans hired a new line coach who along with Dom decided the line was athletic enough to play a zone blocking scheme. They also recognized DD had the traits that benefited from such a system--although that is really a minor part as the Broncos as the greatest example of the system have plug and played RB's. You have the cart before the horse--they didn't change the system for DD, they changed it because of the personnel and to hopefully benefit DD.

Fiddy 09-20-2004 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
HOLLINGS IS A BUST PURE AND SIMPLE AND THEY KNOW THAT.

Yeah, I can see how they can call Hollings a bust after he has 41 rushing attempts in his carrer. So by you standards, Julius Jones is already a bust??? And lets not forget Willis McGahee didnt even touch the ball his rookie year so he must be a bust, too??? Bring more of an agrument when you call someone a bust so I can see why you think that...
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
I think what has happened is that DOM and company decided that DD was so great they were going to change their blocking scheme for him, because he was going to become the total focus of our game plan.

Your understanding is wrong. I have heard Capers plenty of times when he has said that the reason he switch to a zone blocking scheme was because the Broncos and the Ravens are so effective with it and he has always admired the Broncos. Not once have I heard him say that the switch to a zone blocking scheme for DD....I have told you this in number of posts...

Ibar_Harry 09-20-2004 08:55 PM

I believe the Broncos and Ravens are thought of as primarily running teams. What one says in public and says behind the scenes are two different things. A number of people are pointing out what is happening on pass protection and I'm saying there is a reason why. Some people will understand that I'm p****ed at all of the players getting the blame when I truely believe a lot of it is not their fault. With the talent we have it makes you wonder why its all of the players' fault. May be if you are put into a position of failure it will occur.

TexansTrueFan 09-20-2004 09:03 PM

Man D.D will get rolling again we just need to get his confidence built back up and he will be the Dominating back he was last season ! He just has to much pressure on him thinking he has to do it all !!! he;s still a young back !


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:00 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger