Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   How mobile is David Carr? (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2643)

Kingzofthejungle 09-13-2004 06:11 PM

How mobile is David Carr?

Just curious how mobile David Carr is? Reason being the Lions D was very active this week in applying pressure with our Front 4, without the need to really blitz. Shawn Rogers is a beast and demanded double teams the whole game. We got 3 sacks, 2ints and forced 1 fumble on Rex Grossman. Rex also moved around very well, otherwise it would have been much more than it was. In fact Rex moved around very well. But he difinately had pressure on him. In addition the Chicago line was massive what is th Texans line like?

Thanks! Good Luck and no major injuries! Lord knows we don't need anymore!

Vinny 09-13-2004 06:13 PM

On offense we run what basically amounts to what you saw Monday night in the Bronco game except younger and less proven. We roll Carr out like the Broncos roll out Plumber and we use zone blocking schemes as well. We have a poor man's version of that offense.....except with more fullback dive plays on long yardage situations. Carr throws better outside the pocket than he does in the pocket.

TEXANS84 09-13-2004 06:20 PM

David Carr last year (note he was hurt for 5 games) had 151 yards rushing on 27 attempts. His longest one was 36 yards and an average of 12.6 yards per carry/per game. 2 rushing touchdowns.

Joey Harrington had 86 yards rushing last year in all 16 games and 30 attempts with an average of 5.4 yards/per game. His longest run was 26 yards and he had 0 touchdowns.

The leader was Daunte Culpepper with 73 atempts for 422 yards averaging 32.2 yards per carry/game and had 4 rushing touchdowns with a long of 42.

Hope that helps a little.

utahmark 09-13-2004 06:21 PM

except with more fullback dive plays on long yardage situations.

thats funny.

texasguy346 09-13-2004 06:48 PM

David Carr is pretty mobile, and he's athletically gifted. However, he's improved at feeling the rush since last year. Grossman is still essientially a rookie, and that might have contributed to some of the sacks in the game Sunday. I cannot say either way because I didn't get to watch the game. I agree with Vinny that Carr is a better passer out of the pocket than in the pocket. Our O-Line is pretty good, and the only real question marks are on the left side. LT Seth Wand is young and unproven, but he's shown well thus far. Pitts is very good on run blocking, and he was beaten a couple of times against Denver in pass blocking situations in the preseason. Weigert and Wade are very good on the right side, and McKinney is steady and reliable, but not a Pro Bowl type center. Bruener is an excellent blocker, and is better than advertised as a reciever. Billy Miller is a better reciever than blocker, and likely will be the 2nd TE come Sunday. How is the Lions O-Line? I know there was a lot of hype about Damien Woody, but I can't say I am aware of the rest of your OLine. Any insights about them would be much appreciated.

HJam72 09-13-2004 07:13 PM

It doesn't matter. We're gonna beat the Lions next Sunday, because everyone knows they're the worst team in football. :neener:

HJam72 09-13-2004 07:15 PM

Continued

You think that's bad, wait 'till I have to say it next week against Kansas City, lol.

Kingzofthejungle 09-13-2004 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HJam72
It doesn't matter. We're gonna beat the Lions next Sunday, because everyone knows they're the worst team in football. :neener:

Son. And I call you my Son becuase I am your Daddy! The Texans will fall hard, very hard on Sunday. You guys couldn't beat the worst team in Football, at home no less!

Ford Field is not kind to strangers and your pretty boy QB and suspect D will find out soon enough. I hope you guys are ready for next years draft, if not you should start planning for a top 5 pick. 0-2 is soon approaching for you.

Who's your back-up QB? Banks? Tell to get some reps this week he will be playing. Tell D.D. he might want to try some stick'em and tell your rookie DB and converted Safety they might want to actually stay within 20 yards of our WRs.

Tell your D-Line it is OK to rush the passer. It is legal now. You don't have to count to 10 Mississippi before they rush.

Oh yeah and tell your LBs that the TE is an legal receiver.

Lastly, Tell your offense Turnovers are a bad thing, a very bad thing!

If you can fix all that maybe you can beat the Charges next year!

Lions 28 Texans 14!

Boxscore 09-13-2004 08:18 PM

I like Carr and he may become a decent QB. I have said from day one that he is not a franchise QB. He will not be the same caliber as the John Elway's, Brett Favre's, Joe Montana's, Steve Young's etc.

He also needs to stop throwing the ball sidearm or three quarters or whatever you want to call it.

Meisterman 09-13-2004 08:27 PM

"Oh yeah and tell your LBs that the TE is an legal receiver".

LOL..that was a good one. I guess you don't know that Sad Diego has the best Tight End in the game ...at least last Sunday they did. :rolleyes:

You might enjoy watching Andre Johnson play this weekend..he's a strong powerful receiver that you passed up... instead you took that brittle local boy who breaks his collar bone by breathing. eek:

BuffSoldier 09-13-2004 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boxscore
I like Carr and he may become a decent QB. I have said from day one that he is not a franchise QB. He will not be the same caliber as the John Elway's, Brett Favre's, Joe Montana's, Steve Young's etc.

He also needs to stop throwing the ball sidearm or three quarters or whatever you want to call it.

Completely dissagree, Carr has all the tools to be a framchise QB, and he showed that Sunday completing 76% of his passes but everyone has there own opinion.

And king, that was funny especially the first line, but I wouldnt fet my hopes up on beating the Texans just because we lost to the Chargers. Our squad is better than yours and we will come 1-1 at the end of the game. Good game, but no way yall beat us. :boxing:

Boxscore 09-13-2004 09:27 PM

You have got to be kidding. You actuually believe that Carr has the tools as the top franchise QB's of the NFL. How long have you been around this game?

BuffSoldier 09-13-2004 09:37 PM

Quote:

You have got to be kidding. You actuually believe that Carr has the tools as the top franchise QB's of the NFL. How long have you been around this game?

Come on look at the guy, good speed for a QB, great athleticism, he has a rocket for an arm, if you look at him in this weeks game, he had great vision throughout the game, hes tough, went his first season, got sacked 76 times and still came back for more.Like i said 76% completions thats one heck of a lot of completions. Hes maturing an checking down to his 2nd and 3rd options, IE Gaffney and Bradford each had a few good catches. Maybe we dont watch the same player and maybe its just something you dont like about him, I dont like Emmitt Smith and thinks he was overrated, even though he is one of the all-time greats.

I want to know what you think that he doest have what has he done to show you that he doesnt have leadership ability, a rocket arm, and humbleness. His vision is better but I cant judge him off one game, but he played well in preseason too. He is also maturing like I said good Qb Fanchise and pro bowl caliber.

Boxscore 09-13-2004 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuffSoldier
Come on look at the guy, good speed for a QB, great athleticism, he has a rocket for an arm, if you look at him in this weeks game, he had great vision throughout the game, hes tough, went his first season, got sacked 76 times and still came back for more.Like i said 76% completions thats one heck of a lot of completions. Hes maturing an checking down to his 2nd and 3rd options, IE Gaffney and Bradford each had a few good catches. Maybe we dont watch the same player and maybe its just something you dont like about him, I dont like Emmitt Smith and thinks he was overrated, even though he is one of the all-time greats.

I want to know what you think that he doest have what has he done to show you that he doesnt have leadership ability, a rocket arm, and humbleness. His vision is better but I cant judge him off one game, but he played well in preseason too. He is also maturing like I said good Qb Fanchise and pro bowl caliber.

1) TD to Inerception ratio is horrible.

2) Inability to throw down field

3) confusion when the blitz is obvious/ his fault or Palmer's?

4) He has not matured enough over the last three years. He will never be a superstar franchise QB. Sorry....That is just the way it is.

Kingzofthejungle 09-13-2004 09:56 PM

Quote:

1) TD to Inerception ratio is horrible.

2) Inability to throw down field

3) confusion when the blitz is obvious/ his fault or Palmer's?

4) He has not matured enough over the last three years. He will never be a superstar franchise QB. Sorry....That is just the way it is.

Boxscore you sound like some Lions Fans talking about Joey. QBs take a beating from the fans. We have fans wanting Carr. I guess it is the same all over the league. I think they both will be fine. Atleast neither are Ryan Leaf!

Wolf 09-13-2004 10:01 PM

I am in NO way comparing Culpepper to Carr, but one thing I notice about Carr is he tippy toes when he is flushed out of the pocket like he is unasure on what to do. Watching Cullpepper against Dallas, was amazing. He was in total control. Whether he ran or scambled and threw, he was directing guys as he ran..

Boxscore 09-13-2004 10:04 PM

No, I am just stating fact. Be as wishful as you can be, but Carr will not be the franchise QB that most fans think he will be.

It would be great to hear what John Madding would have to say in a Monday night game. I am sure he would be more in agreement with me then the posters who have been against my opinion.

wags 09-14-2004 05:43 PM

Quote:

Brett Favre, Troy Aikman, Steve Young, and John Elway all had more INT's than TD's after two seasons. Some even had more INT's than TD's after their third year. You can criticize Carr for his stats, but just realize that the great QB's of the past had some pretty bad years early.

Reddevil63 09-14-2004 06:59 PM

And how many of the above mentioned QB's had to start their first game on a team that was starting its first game? Carr's situtation is totally different than anybody else's so its impossible to say that he will or wont be that franchise QB by the stats he has until now.

Boxscore 09-14-2004 08:56 PM

I hope Carr does prove to be one of the great QB's in the game. I am a true Texan Fan. Have been a PSL owner from day one. So let's just hold the thoughts from the messages above until later in the season and most importantly a few years down the road.