Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   What if SD beats us Sunday ? (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2486)

nunusguy 09-08-2004 10:26 AM

What if SD beats us Sunday ?

SD beating us would be much more likely than us beating Miami in their opener
last year (before the fact of course). Afterall, this is the NFL - everybody is really good, any given Sunday, etc. You don't get any pud openers in this league like Oklahoma, Texas, and others in college do. Would we feel devastated
with a loss, soured for the whole season. Or would it be "We'll get them next week in Detroit", this is just a small setback in the long range plan ?

TheOgre 09-08-2004 10:38 AM

The fans will cry on this MB if we lose to the Chargers. The Fire Palmer thread will be 10 pages long. Someone will mention that Carr will have to go another year before cutting his hair. It will be ugly.

The Bolts have a good up-and-coming secondary, a stud back, and a rookie QB with some talent. Fortunately for us, they are very weak on the D-line and O-line. Their LB's are nothing to write home about either. They do have some young talented TE's and WR's. I personally think they are underrated. This team won't have a winning record, though, until they improve their two lines.

WWJD 09-08-2004 10:45 AM

Then you get ready for Detroit.

If you allow one loss, especially the first game, to ruin your season you don't have much of a team anyway. I know it happens but not to good teams. Those teams just regroup and get about their business.

SESupergenius 09-08-2004 10:58 AM

San Diego pounded us before, no reason they couldn't do it again.

Lucky 09-08-2004 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SESupergenius
San Diego pounded us before, no reason they couldn't do it again.

The Chargers return 6 starters from the 2002, week 2 game. The Texans return 12.

These aren't the same teams that will be playing Sunday. While any team in the NFL can win on a given Sunday, I can't see San Diego pounding anyone this year.

Blake 09-08-2004 11:13 AM

Well, have you seen the ending to The South Park Movie? Something like that would happen if we lost to SD. A gaping hole would create itself from hell to lead an undead army on us. So it would be better if we won.

TheOgre 09-08-2004 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DC_ROCK
Well, have you seen the ending to The South Park Movie? Something like that would happen if we lost to SD. A gaping hole would create itself from hell to lead an undead army on us. So it would be better if we won.

That is what the Dolphins thought last year when we went there.

Joe Texan 09-08-2004 11:19 AM

What if a frog had wings?

What if the sky was falling?

Whats with the what if, Get real man, Get real TEXAN

TexanDave 09-08-2004 11:21 AM

I would be very disappointed if we lost to the Chargers but win or lose, one game won't make or break our season. There will be games we lose that we should have won and there will be games we win that we should have lost.

OzzO 09-08-2004 11:25 AM

Tell ya what, all we can do as fans is be as loud as we can and work that home field atmosphere. All the TEXANS can do is their job and not overlook anyone, any week. Have the faith in the coaches and players

I'm sure both groups (fans and players) will do the best we can and make it a helluva season opening regardless.

blockhead83 09-08-2004 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexanDave
I would be very disappointed if we lost to the Chargers but win or lose, one game won't make or break our season. There will be games we lose that we should have won and there will be games we win that we should have lost.

I follow this line of thought. Honestly, it's gonna suck if we lose to San Diego to put it succinctly. On the other hand, it will in no way ruin the season. There's atleast 16 games to be played, this is only number 1.

Ben 09-08-2004 11:38 AM

I agree with what most have said thus far. I think we're going to win on Sunday but if we don't, move the hell on. It's just one game and that's what being a professional organization is all about.

V Man 09-08-2004 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky
The Chargers return 6 starters from the 2002, week 2 game. The Texans return 12.

These aren't the same teams that will be playing Sunday. While any team in the NFL can win on a given Sunday, I can't see San Diego pounding anyone this year.

True Points, we were a young team on its first road game verses a very veterian defense. This year it is the total opposite, we have the experience in the trenchs, and they don't. So it is possible, anything is possible in the NFL, but I don't see it happening. And if it does, look out Detroit you going to have some upset Texans on their hands. :twocents:

El Tejano 09-08-2004 11:44 AM

I will say this. We have the best coach in the league, in my opinion, when it comes to opening day games. Any coach that can get his team who never played before, or goes to another stadium where the opponent hasn't lost an opening day game in nearly a decade is you coach, you can win alot of opening day games.

My point is, Capers will have us prepared and ready to win. I am sure the rest of the team also remembers what happened the last time we met with the Chargers and they remember what happened the last time they were looked over. That is really what comforts me. Other than that, I want our defense to show up big in this game because contrary to what some believe, Brees has and can play winning football.

rittenhouserobz 09-08-2004 11:49 AM

I wonder if NE thought the season was over after losing to Buffalo in the opener last year. Professionals know how to approach that kind of setback.

geofb 09-08-2004 11:57 AM

If we lose to SD, starting the season 0-3 would then be a distinct possibility...not pretty.

Hervoyel 09-08-2004 12:43 PM

In the two years the Texans have been playing I've seen 23 losses. One more on Sunday against the Chargers won't drastically alter my world much. The past two seasons we've started with a big win and ended with a "death march" towards the end of the year. I'd gladly trade the expected win against San Diego for a 3-1 last quarter of the season. Gladly.

It's a game we can win. Capers usually has the Texans ready to play in week 1. We (and the Chargers) are going to be seeing DD for 4 quarters and he's looked great this year in the limited amount of time he's been out there. Carr has also been sharp. I expect a win. Don't worry about a loss until it happens and then put it past you. 16 games is a long season and week one means very little by the end of it. Sure you might look back and say "Man, if we'd just taken care of business against San Diego then we'd have finished at 8-8 for the first time (or 9-7, dare I say 10-6 and in the playoffs) but it's not something to dwell on. The Patriots I believe looked terrible last year on opening day against the Bills but the Bills were watching those same Patriots win another Super Bowl when it was all over so don't put too much stock in it.

It's not a problem though because we're winning that game.

TheOgre 09-08-2004 12:54 PM

I think we beat the Chargers to start the season and end with a win against the Browns. What happens in between is anyone's guess. I'm realistically hoping for an 8-8 season.

SBTexans08 09-08-2004 01:02 PM

If San Diego beats us Sunday....I'll be really pissed! :mad:

Then again....maybe that will break our bad luck since we start the season with a bang and end it with dissapointment.

:idea: Maybe this year if we start bad.....we might end it on a positive note....playoffs anyone?

Doug 09-08-2004 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SBTexans08
If San Diego beats us Sunday....I'll be really pissed! :mad:

Then again....maybe that will break our bad luck since we start the season with a bang and end it with dissapointment.

:idea: Maybe this year if we start bad.....we might end it on a positive note....playoffs anyone?

I agree. We've started the last two years with a win and didn't have much of a season. Maybe if we lose the first game we'll do great.