Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Babin....... (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2110)

pittbull 08-22-2004 04:30 PM

Babin.......

It's early folks, but this kid looks lost. You should see it on TiVo! Slow motion. His foot quickness is not as advertised and the speed of the NFL game looks to really be taking him by surprise. Not only that, he's playing as if the last play is still on his mind, and he has to let it go. He's not losing the starting job with the pick invested in him, so just go out there 110%, and get after the QB kid! Otherwise, you'll be looking to survive in the league, long enough to make the minimum years to receive NFL pension! :headbang:

Nawzer 08-22-2004 04:37 PM

I actually thought Babin played or tried hard but the Steelers just kicked our arses all over the field yesterday. Babin had like a sack yesterday and made a couple of tackles I think. It's going to take him a while, but I'm confident he'll be a good player for us.

RTP2110 08-22-2004 05:12 PM

More than anything to me, he just looks like he is playing tenatively. My guess is that he will get past this once he gets more time in the league and develops better instincts.

JDizzle 08-22-2004 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pittbull
It's early folks, but this kid looks lost. You should see it on TiVo! Slow motion. His foot quickness is not as advertised and the speed of the NFL game looks to really be taking him by surprise. Not only that, he's playing as if the last play is still on his mind, and he has to let it go. He's not losing the starting job with the pick invested in him, so just go out there 110%, and get after the QB kid! Otherwise, you'll be looking to survive in the league, long enough to make the minimum years to receive NFL pension! :headbang:

He had a sack week 1 and had another one last night but got Hosed by the refs. Babin is doing just fine.

BornOrange 08-22-2004 05:15 PM

Be a little patient. The guy only has two halves of pro experience.

edo783 08-22-2004 05:37 PM

2 halves - 2 sacks - never played the position much - playing in the most complicated and fastest game around - yup, he's toast, better ship him out.

For crying out loud, the guy is JUST getting started. He won't even begin to hit his stride probably until next year AND it is only the second game of the freakin PRESEASON.

pittbull 08-22-2004 06:09 PM

not freaking out

Just mentioning a few athletic things I saw. He just doesn't seem to have great feet. I think he will develop, but more on the lines of a Kevin Greene. Full-time pass rusher, not much else.

texasguy346 08-22-2004 06:30 PM

Babin will be fine. I think when the regular season starts the coaches will blitz him more, and in the preseason they're trying to emphasize the coverage portion of his game. Covering a tight end or RB out of the backfield is new to Babin, and I'm sure he'll struggle with it even into the regular season. But as many have pointed out he has 2 sacks in the equivalent of one game. That's not too bad considering the Steelers O-Line dominated us last night. So he is doing well with rushing the passer, his strength, and that is the very reason we got him. Right? I was watching Babin pretty closely in this game too, but I didn't have the benefit of TiVo. He seemed more sure of himself in this game than he did against the Cowboys. He looked like he was reading the play a little better, and if getting pancaked by the Steelers O-Line was a reason for concern then we'd have alot of players to be concerned about. As long as he is improving from game to game then that is all you can ask for. I'm not sure what people were expecting when he came in. Where you expecting him to get 6 sacks a game as a rookie? I can understand people being concerned, but I really am not too worried about it. If he keeps improving he'll be fine.

BuffSoldier 08-22-2004 07:32 PM

Ive watched both of the rookies very closely, and have taped both of the pre-season games and it has come to my attention that Babin, right now, just isnt playing at the NFL speed, which is what you would expect from someone who swithched positions as a rook. He has had problems, such as, slow footwork and letting the tackles get into his chest too easily, makeing him easy to block, but if you remember those were the 2 things that he had problems with in college. I just think that it will take Babin some time to feel comfident in the NFL, he will become more aggressive and use his speed better to beat the RTs of the ball, I think in the middle of the season everyone will se a whole new Babin show up on sundays.

TexanExile 08-22-2004 07:56 PM

I definitely won't complain if he develops into Kevin Greene...

Check out Babin's "rookie diary" at the Chronicle website. Even he acknowledges that there are some things he needs to work on, and that he's already doing it. I have faith that this coaching staff is one of the best for a young defensive rookie to learn from. Babin will be just fine.

Mistril48 08-22-2004 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexanExile
I definitely won't complain if he develops into Kevin Greene...

A G R E E D!

nunusguy 08-22-2004 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pittbull

As far as Babin's demeanor goes he does not seem to be the fiery, intense type of competitor I expected. I don't know if that's because he is tentative, even overwhelmed by the speed and complexity of the NFL game or if it's more a case of him pacing himself until he's more comfortable, more sure-footed and then is ready to turn it up a notch. Hope it's the latter.
As far as his physical abilities go I think his outside pass rush is fairly impressive - he's real quick and we saw his spin move last week, but I'm concerned about his ability to handle the TE and tackle blocking him head up
on rushing plays, this has gota make the strong side OLB tougher to play than weakside.

aj. 08-22-2004 08:23 PM

His biggest problem right now is that he needs to shed much quicker. I agree with BuffS, when Babs engages too close to the body he gets squashed like a bug. I've seen Wade do it to him in practice numerous times. That should improve with refinement of technique and possibly even a little more upper body conditioning. One thing that I have noticed is that he is really fast in lateral pursuit but he hasn't done anything yet that made me say "wow" (like Dunta has) nor do I consider him "explosive" and you typically don't become explosive. That's one of those things you either have or you don't. He more of a fluid guy who will have to rely on technique quite a bit. ... but yes, it's early.

Regarding his demeanor, I have noticed the passive body language in camp. He doesn't appear to be a fiery guy but I'm sure he's overwhelmed at the moment and the deer in the headlights look will probably be there for a while. He looks like a typical rook who will make a few plays but also blow a few.

nunusguy 08-22-2004 08:53 PM

Babin and Peek have similar backgrounds in the sense that they both came from a "non major league" school: Peek from Cincinatti and Babin from Western Michigan and they both played DE. This is a lead into my one big,
nagging question about Babin - what did they see and like so much about Babin that caused them to move up into the first round (at an oh so big price
that we are all very aware of by now), and yet be content to wait and take Peek when he was still available to them on the board in the third round ?
Clearly Babin is not the superior athelete, the opposite is probably the reality.
Something about leadership, the proverbial intangibles maybe (whatever intangibles are) ?
Third round pick and first round pick (even late first round) - night and day.

tana 08-22-2004 11:05 PM

if it makes you feel any better

our first pick in the draft (2nd round) Ben Troupe is just as lost

He will probably be very good, but he is just not catching on at TE position.

aj. 08-22-2004 11:09 PM

How's Starks doing? I know Schoebel is out.....then there was the Alabama guy -- Odom?

BuffSoldier 08-22-2004 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tana
our first pick in the draft (2nd round) Ben Troupe is just as lost

He will probably be very good, but he is just not catching on at TE position.

You guys got a good quality TE in the 2nd round. I was very suprised that he fell to the 2nd round, and that Ben Watson was picked over him.

To me, watching him and K2 during the season, I really didnt think that Kellen had much more athleticism. The only thing was that K2 is faster, but Troupe blocks better, both have great hands and I expect Ben to be a pro bowl caiber TE in a while.

Vinny 08-23-2004 02:06 PM

Most of the great Steeler 3-4 linebackers of the last decade didn't even start their rookie years. I don't know why but we have a ton of Babin haters here, but its really no different than many of our other rookies we have selected. We had a ton of people bashing Pitts his rookie year. Then Gaffney got bashed by many knee-jerk fans for a while. Perhaps we are an expansion team and most of our new fans forgot the rookie learning curve for most of the players, but it sure gets old. Especially ones who traditionally take a few years to groom. We have yet to play a real NFL regular season game and many of you guys think you have seen the upside to Babin and are ready to proclaim him a dog. Rich, astute and highly insightful.

ToxicButt 08-23-2004 02:21 PM

the first 2 games of preseason were ripe for Babin to look like **** (which he did not). the coaches only ran basic defense packages, which does not take advantage of Babin's best percieved asset - rushing the qb. let's talk after game 3, where the starters will play beyond the first half and where the coaches will game plan like it's a regular game. babin needs to shine a little, not a lot.

and he has not looked horrible. he looks like a rookie that is not sure of what he is doing. we basically know nothing except that he does have a motor, no matter where he is, how badly or well he is doing on a given play.

Blake 08-23-2004 02:54 PM

I agree. Give the boy some time to develop. Yeah he didnt look like an all-pro, but then again, he isnt an all-pro. Hes a rookie. Lets stop bashing him and move on to something else.