Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   No more Reliant Leap!?!?!?!?!?!? (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1797)

Fiddy 08-10-2004 10:04 PM

No more Reliant Leap!?!?!?!?!?!?

eek: Just heard it on FSN, said it could be a thing of the past. I will post why when they talk about it....

texasguy346 08-10-2004 10:11 PM

Re: No more Reliant Leap!?!?!?!?!?!?

Man that would suck. Are they getting rid of the Lambeau Leap too? Is it a new NFL rule or is it just something our team is doing?

RTP2110 08-10-2004 10:12 PM

I heard tha the NFL said that only the player who scores the TD can make the Reliant Leap. No one else is allowed to jump into the stands.

jhawktx 08-10-2004 10:12 PM

I read it's ok for the one scoring the TD to leap...but not some other teammate also.

texasguy346 08-10-2004 10:20 PM

So if Carr throws a TD pass to Johnson he can't celebrate with him like he did the last couple years? Even if neither of them do the Reliant Leap?

Fiddy 08-10-2004 10:23 PM

Yep, thats right. Only the player that scores can jump into the stands. So Carr can only jump in if he runs for a TD. No Fun League :mad:

swisher 08-10-2004 10:48 PM

Thanks alot Terrell Owens. :mad:

El Tejano 08-10-2004 10:59 PM

I'm shocked to see they are allowing it at all.

infantrycak 08-10-2004 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texasguy346
So if Carr throws a TD pass to Johnson he can't celebrate with him like he did the last couple years? Even if neither of them do the Reliant Leap?

Actually I don't think that is correct. They don't want (a) props, (b) pre-planned celebrations (evidently even those supporting their rules by mocking pre-planned celebrations) and (c) excessive group celebrations. JMO, but I don't think any hankies will fly if Carr runs down the field and picks up AJ or whoever scores the TD, high fives, whatever so long as it doesn't take long and appears spontaneous.

rittenhouserobz 08-11-2004 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infantrycak
Actually I don't think that is correct. They don't want (a) props, (b) pre-planned celebrations (evidently even those supporting their rules by mocking pre-planned celebrations) and (c) excessive group celebrations. JMO, but I don't think any hankies will fly if Carr runs down the field and picks up AJ or whoever scores the TD, high fives, whatever so long as it doesn't take long and appears spontaneous.

No matter how spontaneous it may look there is a 99% chance that the act was thought out prior to the moment. Even if it was a slight thought.

infantrycak 08-11-2004 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rittenhouserobz
No matter how spontaneous it may look there is a 99% chance that the act was thought out prior to the moment. Even if it was a slight thought.

True, otherwise you would hit the wall rather than jump I guess, but what is your point? The NFL reviewed film of various celebrations and back when the decision was being made on this seemed to be pretty clear that what they were getting at were TO, Chad Johnson, Joe Horn prop gags (have to be pre-planned to have the props available) and choreographed group dances/hand grenade gigs, etc. that obviously involve group agreement/practice prior to the game. I don't think this is going to affect players high fiving, jumping on each other in the end-zone, jumping into the stands (unless they several line up to do it simultaneously) so other than mocking Joe Horn shouldn't effect the Texans.

Chance_C 08-11-2004 11:12 AM

David Carr said he would just have to run a couple in so he could do the Reliant Leap!!

aj. 08-11-2004 12:01 PM

I'm just worried about someone getting impaled on Preston's helmet.

Boris 08-11-2004 12:05 PM

hate to admit it but ................

the Rams' handgrenade post TD celebration was hilarious. That offence WAS explosive!

RTP2110 08-11-2004 07:15 PM

Carr said he would wait in line until after the 1st guy gets done, then they could all jump in 1 by 1.

infantrycak 08-13-2004 04:43 PM

OK, maybe I should take everything back from above about the NFL officials having any rationality on celebrations. If the Ravens/Falcons game was any indication this is the solo fun league or no fun league. Ravens' receiver catches TD, throws ball into ground, then another Raven runs up and jumps in his arms for all of 1 second, clearly unplanned--result, out came the hanky. That's excessive celebration???? How about a high five? What next--"hey man, good play"--hanky time? I really hope this ref didn't read the memo or something because that is not the way the NFL described the new rule after the owners' meeting.

Vinny 08-13-2004 05:01 PM

Weak call on Raven TD

That was a 15 yard penalty for being happy.

Porky 08-13-2004 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infantrycak
OK, maybe I should take everything back from above about the NFL officials having any rationality on celebrations. If the Ravens/Falcons game was any indication this is the solo fun league or no fun league. Ravens' receiver catches TD, throws ball into ground, then another Raven runs up and jumps in his arms for all of 1 second, clearly unplanned--result, out came the hanky. That's excessive celebration???? How about a high five? What next--"hey man, good play"--hanky time? I really hope this ref didn't read the memo or something because that is not the way the NFL described the new rule after the owners' meeting.

I only saw a bit of the game, but if your description is true, that is WEAK
:thumbdown :crazy: :mad:

STEEL BLUE TEXANS 08-13-2004 09:18 PM

yup, that was a terrible call last night.

Panther5407 08-14-2004 02:29 PM

I agree that it wasnt a wild celebration. But maybe you can think that the refs are getting serious on it in preseason so that the players don't go wild during the regular season. Just kinda showing the players that they will call it but not as soon as they did the other night. Just a little warning.