Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Early Camp News (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1562)

Ibar_Harry 07-31-2004 11:59 AM

Early Camp News

There have been a lot of generalizations, but no real comments so far on the camp and the players. Some have been speculating on DD and his weight, but there have been no comments about AJ, DD or Carr. Is 610 going to run anything locally on a daily basis or will it be hit or miss? Again I think we are all hungry to hear about how things look. Isn't the 1st session over with by now? Things like was BJ, Earl and others who are coming off of inuries able to run. Gosh there is so much most of us would like to know, but it seems like there is very little feedback.

BornOrange 07-31-2004 12:02 PM

For the most part, no news is good news coming out of the first days of camp because injuries and holdouts are usually the only newsworthy items early in camp.

nunusguy 07-31-2004 12:20 PM

I believe this is the first day of actual practices, you have to give it a little time
for events to occur before there is anything to report.

Vinny 07-31-2004 12:28 PM

The players checked in yesterday and camp starts today. Something has to actually happen before anyone can report something.

Ibar_Harry 07-31-2004 12:32 PM

There are some slides up on the Texans web site of the 1st session. Kind of interesting that they featured the younger players. Only David shown running to his left. He looks a little heavy to me. Armstrong seemed to be the featured player with photos of Wand, Robinson, and others. Glenn was shown trying to cool off. They have indicated more coverage is to follow.

TEXANS84 07-31-2004 12:40 PM

BJ has been placed on the PUP list, so he won't be participating in camp. Only film and classroom. As far as in depth coverage...check out www.houstonprofootball.com on Sunday, where they are starting a training camp notebook.

Lucky 07-31-2004 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
There are some slides up on the Texans web site of the 1st session.

Did you notice the pic of Dunta about to drop his shoulder & lower the boom on poor Armsrong? It didn't look like they were supposed to be "live". Someone forgot to tell Mr. Robinson. Dunta needs the Dolphins to get here quick before he puts a hurt on one of his teammates. :)

Ibar_Harry 07-31-2004 12:53 PM

If BJ is already PUPed then that is news. That's a negative already as it looked like he would be competing this year. I would say its highly unlikely he will play again if that's the case.

Fiddy 07-31-2004 12:54 PM

Quote:

If BJ is already PUPed then that is news. That's a negative already as it looked like he would be competing this year. I would say its highly unlikely he will play again if that's the case.

Competing for what??? He was going on the practice squad. And if he played most of the college season with a torn ACL, I think he can come back after they fixed it...

Ibar_Harry 07-31-2004 12:56 PM

When I refer to BJ I'm referring to the TE. I think he means BJ Symms.

Fiddy 07-31-2004 12:57 PM

Quote:

When I refer to BJ I'm referring to the TE. I think he means BJ Symms.

opps :bag:

well there is your news...
dang it...

TexSon 07-31-2004 01:02 PM

Joppru PUP'ed

According to the front page, Joppru was placed on the physically unable to perform list today.
This is really unfortunate, I was looking forward to watching him compete.
Wonder if he will ever play again?

tacoman_j 07-31-2004 01:08 PM

Joppru = Wasted Pick

We should have drafted Jason Witten. I thought he was a better TE coming out of Tennessee. Now, he's going to star with Dallas, and was pick lower than Joppru. :confused:

Vinny 07-31-2004 01:10 PM

That is too bad. I was hoping to not have to rely on Bruener. Looks like Walker, Symons and Joppru are lost till week 6. Big news for Walker and Joppru but Symons was expected.
Quote:

Joppru heads PUP list
By Carter Toole
HoustonTexans.com

Between their first two training camp practices, the Texans placed three players on the Physically Unable to Perform list Saturday.

The Texans drafted Joppru in the second round of the 2003 draft.
Heading the list is second-year tight end Bennie Joppru, who missed all of his rookie season with a groin injury. Joppru participated in all of the team's off-season work but re-injured his groin since the Texans broke mini-camp on June 16.

Thus, Joppru has been placed on the Active/Non-Football Injury list. Quarterback B.J. Symons was also placed on that list since his knee injury occurred during his senior season at Texas Tech. The Texans drafted Symons in the seventh round of this year's draft.

Strong safety Ramon Walker, who injured his left knee in the Texans' Nov. 30 win over Atlanta last season, was placed on the Active/Physically Unable to Perform list. Walker, one of the team's top special teams players, is entering his third season.

All three players still count on the team's active list. A roster decision must be made on Joppru, Symons and Walker by the mandatory cutdown to 65 players on Aug. 31, two days before Houston's final preseason game. Any player on PUP can't be activated until after Week 6, which would be the Texans' Oct. 17 game at Tennessee.

Ibar_Harry 07-31-2004 01:11 PM

Yea, I just saw the same thing on the Web site.

Some others with medical knowledge had said this was a very bad injury that doesn't respond all that well to treatment. I would say this is pretty negative news for him and the Texans. May be its slight, however, but it doesn't look good.

TEXANS84 07-31-2004 01:11 PM

I was talking about BJ Symmons and Joppru.

Actually I was only talking about Symmons...the Joppru thing is new to me. Sucks to see this happen. Now its only Bruener and Miller.

TEXANS84 07-31-2004 01:16 PM

What is wrong with Walker?? I know he's coming off an injury, but that is very bad news for the special teams and secondary.

Ibar_Harry 07-31-2004 01:19 PM

I hope this is not a continuing trend. If we continue to have a lot of injuries, then I would say we need to look at the training regement. Seems BJ did it between the minicamp and training camp. May be he was trying to hard.

Vinny 07-31-2004 01:27 PM

We will always have injuries because the NFL is brutal. Lack of depth is one of the main reasons expansion teams don't do well. In year 3 we are just now getting to the point where we are two-deep everywhere.

TexasJedi 07-31-2004 01:29 PM

All right, now let's panic and go get Winslow. :D Now I am hysterical.

Seriously though, this stinks. It does not kill our club by any means, but you just hate to see a guy trying to come back from an injury, struggling like this.

As far as " we should have taken Witten". That's fine if you are saying that from a talent perspective, but it's not like we drafted Bennie knowing that he was injured, he was injured with the Texans, could have just as easily happened to Witten had we taken him as opposed to Joppru.