Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Hollings to Fins? (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1469)

cuppacoffee 07-27-2004 12:46 PM

Hollings to Fins?
 
From Profootballtalk.com rumor mill

"Cole also identifies various backs whom the Dolphins might acquire via a trade, including Tony Hollings of the Texans, Najeh "Dookie" Davenport of the Packers, and Lamar Gordon of the Rams. Hollings is the most enticing of this trio; he was the Texans' second-round pick in last year's supplemental draft, and league sources have in the past verified that his ability justifies the lofty draft status. Still, his future in Houston has been clouded by the unlikely emergence of fellow 2003 rookie Domanick Davis. "

Think they want him bad enough for a #1?
Dont they also have a disgruntled DE Ogenleye (sp?)

Possibilities? idonno:

Story

flawedout 07-27-2004 01:09 PM

i dont mind trading Mack but not hollings, it would be interesting to deal with them because we would pretty much do what we want with the trade seeing as how they are the team in need

aj. 07-27-2004 01:15 PM

Quote:

i dont mind trading Mack...
Kind of hard to trade a player you don't have.

The Texans are counting on Hollings as quality depth behind DD so I don't think they would consider such a deal. Hollings was a high second rounder so it would take "at least" a first rounder to compensate. The way it looks, the Phins may be picking in the upper half of the first round next year. The only reason a Hollings trade is somewhat intriguing to me is because the guy has done nothing in the NFL and his present value is still based solely on potential. The jury is still out on whether he will be a legit NFL RB or not. But, if they do trade Hollings (which I think is unlikely), they would have to turn right around and start looking for a backup RB again.

Beastlyman2003 07-27-2004 01:28 PM

dude its probably bull, but just for grins why wouldnt we trade a backup running back for a starting DE then we could move Robaire Smith to NT and put Ogunleye at RE and have Gary Walker at LE. Or for a #1 pick? Long shot, but if true you dont even hesitate.

infantrycak 07-27-2004 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beastlyman2003
dude its probably bull, but just for grins why wouldnt we trade a backup running back for a starting DE then we could move Robaire Smith to NT and put Ogunleye at RE and have Gary Walker at LE. Or for a #1 pick? Long shot, but if true you dont even hesitate.

Mainly because Ogunleye wouldn't play DE in our system. He is 255lbs, i.e. the size of our OLB's.

Fiddy 07-27-2004 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cuppacoffee
"Cole also identifies various backs whom the Dolphins might acquire via a trade, including Tony Hollings of the Texans, Najeh "Dookie" Davenport of the Packers, and Lamar Gordon of the Rams. Hollings is the most enticing of this trio; he was the Texans' second-round pick in last year's supplemental draft, and league sources have in the past verified that his ability justifies the lofty draft status. Still, his future in Houston has been clouded by the unlikely emergence of fellow 2003 rookie Domanick Davis."

The bold part is why Hollings wont be traded, he could challege DD for his starting job next year...

SBTexans08 07-27-2004 02:02 PM

Ogunleye would def. be an OLB in our system. I say go for it....start negotiations pronto...before training camp starts!! I'd rather have him than any draft picks.

Vinny 07-27-2004 02:23 PM

Hollings isn't going anywhere. Frankly I think he is our lead-back of the future.

texasguy346 07-27-2004 02:23 PM

I think its more likely they go after Davenport or perhaps even a William Green. They seem to be in a bind as far as this year goes, but next year with James' interest in returning to Miami I don't see them having a RB problem.

Fiddy 07-27-2004 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by __V__
Hollings isn't going anywhere. Frankly I think he is our lead-back of the future.

I do, too. I feel Hollings will challenge Davis by the end of the year for the starting job and he could possibly win it next year...

TheOgre 07-27-2004 02:31 PM

I think it is a possibility too. I am excited about our backfield this year. A lot more so than the past two years.

SESupergenius 07-27-2004 02:46 PM

I feel Hollings has a lot to prove to be inserted into the starting role. Sure he fast, but he doesn't have all the other intangibles right now that make a great back. Fumbling, pass protection, picking up the blitz are all very important. I just don't think he has that right now. Keep in mind he hasn't played much college HB.

Vinny 07-27-2004 02:48 PM

Hollings was an option QB in HS so he has run the ball before. I see Dom Davis as a smaller Duce Staley. I don't see too much top end in Davis. I see a Robert Smith or perhaps Michael Bennett type in Hollings.

Fiddy 07-27-2004 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by __V__
I see a Robert Smith or perhaps Michael Bennett type in Hollings.

I could see the Michael Bennett in Hollings, he is so fast. Look at his highlights from his 4 games in college. All you see are defenders in the bottom corner of the TV...

SESupergenius 07-27-2004 03:00 PM

Hey, I hope I am wrong. I hope he can catch the ball out to the backfield and pickup the blitz during minicamp and catapult himself into the starting role.

chicagotexan 07-27-2004 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fiddy
I do, too. I feel Hollings will challenge Davis by the end of the year for the starting job and he could possibly win it next year...

I agree. I really like DoubleD's work ethic and style, but long term Hollings has more of an upside. I think he'll raise some eyebrows this season. Next year we can deal with the terrible problem of having 2 quality backs. Nice problem.

Mistril48 07-27-2004 03:15 PM

Davis and Hollings .... nice problem.

Beastlyman2003 07-27-2004 03:22 PM

OK, V, Fiddy, & Ogre, you are all delusional. How can you say that Hollings is gonna take the job from Domanick? Now im sure that you will come up with just anything that has to do with it but hear this... in Tony Hollings' first start, he gained 26 rushing yards on 13 carries for an average of 2 ypc. Domanick Davis' first start, he gained 129yards on 21 carries for 6.1 ypc and a TD. Im using their first start as an example so you cant say that Domanick had more experience. There is no argument that you can make against the fact that Domanick is the better running back. Mark my words, Tony Hollings will never be more than a backup in Houston, maybe a starter somewhere else, but not here.

Vinny 07-27-2004 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beastlyman2003
OK, V, Fiddy, & Ogre, you are all delusional. How can you say that Hollings is gonna take the job from Domanick? Now im sure that you will come up with just anything that has to do with it but hear this... in Tony Hollings' first start, he gained 26 rushing yards on 13 carries for an average of 2 ypc. Domanick Davis' first start, he gained 129yards on 21 carries for 6.1 ypc and a TD. Im using their first start as an example so you cant say that Domanick had more experience. There is no argument that you can make against the fact that Domanick is the better running back. Mark my words, Tony Hollings will never be more than a backup in Houston, maybe a starter somewhere else, but not here.

Tony Hollings was coming of major knee surgery (not a fair sample of touches) and Dom Davis just looks like Duce Staley to me. I think he has limited upside. He will be a good NFL back, but not an elite one. Just my opinion.

Beastlyman2003 07-27-2004 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by __V__
Tony Hollings was coming of major knee surgery (not a fair sample of touches) and Dom Davis just looks like Duce Staley to me. I think he has limited upside. He will be a good NFL back, but not an elite one. Just my opinion.

Duce Staley? Duce doesnt have the foot speed or quickness Domanick has. I dont think that you can compare Domanick to any other back in the league. And the argument that Hollings was coming off knee surgery, thats exactly my point! He will never be fully recovered from that type of injury. So he will never be able to carry the load like domanick can. He will probably reinjure it. Domanick is gonna be a star in houston for years to come.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:31 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger