Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Early Texans 53-man roster projection (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105407)

Playoffs 06-23-2014 10:59 AM

Early Texans 53-man roster projection

Early Texans 53-man roster projection
Quote:

QB (3): Ryan Fitzpatrick, Tom Savage, Case Keenum

RB (3): Arian Foster, Alfred Blue, Andre Brown

FB (1): Jay Prosch

WR (6): Andre Johnson, DeAndre Hopkins, DeVier Posey, Keshawn Martin, Mike Thomas, Alan Bonner
There’s a very real possibility the Texans only take...
TE (3): Garrett Graham, Ryan Griffin, C.J. Fiedorowicz

OL (9): Duane Brown, Xavier Su'a-Filo, Chris Myers, Brandon Brooks, Will Yeatman, Derek Newton, Ben Jones, Brennan Williams, Cody White
...There’s also a really good chance the Texans add a veteran tackle through free agency. In fact, I think they will.
P (1): Shane Lechler

K (1): Randy Bullock

LS (1): Jon Weeks

DL (6): J.J. Watt, Jared Crick, Louis Nix III, Ricardo Matthews, Tim Jamison, Jerrell Powe
The notable player left off this list is defensive end...
OLB (5): Jadeveon Clowney, Brooks Reed, Whitney Mercilus, Ricky Sapp, Justin Tuggle

ILB (4): Brian Cushing, Jeff Tarpinian, Max Bullough, Akeem Dent

CB (6): Johnathan Joseph, Kareem Jackson, Brandon Harris, Andre Hal, A.J. Bouye, Elbert Mack
Hal is the last one in. He was a draft pick but hasn’t stood out this spring. Still, he can make the team with a good showing at training camp. Bouye has a chance to be a pretty good player; he can play inside and outside. And Mack is a really solid special teams player who has been constantly praised by O’Brien.
S (4): D.J. Swearinger, Chris Clemons, Kendrick Lewis, Lonnie Ballentine
Shiloh Keo and Eddie Pleasant, two guys who played a bunch for the 2013 team, are out. In fact, three of the four safeties are...

DX-TEX 06-23-2014 11:06 AM

Re: Early Texans 53-man roster projection

Remove one WR and add in a blocking TE. This offense will funnel through its tight ends just like NE.

76Texan 06-23-2014 12:03 PM

No one gets on the IR? :brando:

HOU-TEX 06-23-2014 01:28 PM

I'm not sure why Brennan Williams is mentioned in the 53. The dude hasn't shown a lick since he arrived.

I hope he's able to get on the field, but I'm not including him anywhere near the 53 at this point.

The Pencil Neck 06-23-2014 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOU-TEX (Post 2353440)
I'm not sure why Brennan Williams is mentioned in the 53. The dude hasn't shown a lick since he arrived.

I hope he's able to get on the field, but I'm not including him anywhere near the 53 at this point.

I'm cutting Williams from the list and putting someone like Clabo in his spot.

Wolf6151 06-23-2014 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOU-TEX (Post 2353440)

Agree completely. I'm thinking the Texans make an injury settlement with Williams and move on.

TheIronDuke 06-23-2014 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck (Post 2353441)
I'm cutting Williams from the list and putting someone like Clabo in his spot.

If they did and let Travardo walk as well, it'll make the 2013 draft class right up there with our worst in history. We'd have pissed away 2 3rd rounders in Williams and Montgomery, a 4th for Travardo, 6th on Quess (not Ricks fault though) and a 6th on Chris Jones who we let go.

The Pencil Neck 06-23-2014 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheIronDuke (Post 2353470)
If they did and let Travardo walk as well, it'll make the 2013 draft class right up there with our worst in history. We'd have pissed away 2 3rd rounders in Williams and Montgomery, a 4th for Travardo, 6th on Quess (not Ricks fault though) and a 6th on Chris Jones who we let go.

It is what it is. Better to cut your losses and move on than to hold onto them and try to make them work when they were obviously fails.

The focus should be on fielding the best team not making our draft choices look better than they were.

Playoffs 06-23-2014 03:48 PM

Quote:

Was a strange Texans draft... like an alter-ego was making some of those selections.

IDEXAN 06-23-2014 04:07 PM

Quote:

The strangest thing about that Draft was that the 6th rounders were clearly better than the pair of third rounders ? How does that happen ?
But busting on both the 3rd rounders (B. Williams was injured and effectively IRed his last year in college so therefor a big red-flag coming into the Draft, and the choice of Montgomery was an all-time
whiff by the Texans), is to my way of thinking almost unforgivable, so those guys surely weren't both Rick Smith picks ?

The Pencil Neck 06-23-2014 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IDEXAN (Post 2353495)
The strangest thing about that Draft was that the 6th rounders were clearly better than the pair of third rounders ? How does that happen ?
But busting on both the 3rd rounders (B. Williams was injured and effectively IRed his last year in college so therefor a big red-flag coming into the Draft, and the choice of Montgomery was an all-time
whiff by the Texans), is to my way of thinking almost unforgivable, so those guys surely weren't both Rick Smith picks ?

If they were good picks, they were Wade Phillips' picks, or Kubiak's; if they weren't, they were Rick Smith's? Or is it the other way around? It's so confusing sometimes.

The bottom line is that whatever process was in place for that draft was a massive failure but I don't think it's a thing where any one person gets all the blame. There was enough failure in that draft to go around.

Hopefully, this one makes up for it.

dalemurphy 06-23-2014 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Playoffs (Post 2353378)

QB: Fitz, Savage, Keenum
RB: Foster, Brown, Blue
FB: Prosch
TE: Fiedorowicz, Graham, Griffin, Potter
WR: AJ, Hopkins, Posey, Bonner, KMarttin
OT: Brown, Newton, Yietman, Dima (probably replaced with a FA)
C/G: Myers, Brooks, Sua Filo, Ben Jones, White

P: Lechler
K: Bullock
LS: Weeks

DL: Watt, Crick, Powe, Matthews, Nix, Jamison, Pagan
OLB: Clowney, B.Reed, T.Williams, Mercilus,
ILB: Cushing, Dent, Sapp, Tuggle
CB: KJ, JJ, B.Harris, A.Hall, Buoye
S: Swearinger, Clemons, K.Lewis, Ballentine, Pleasant/or Mack

PUP: Brennan Williams

P.Squad: Labhart wr, Lemon wr, M.Williams cb, Bullough Ilb, C.Young Ilb, D.Johnson rb, Ferentz c, Warmsley dl

EllisUnit 06-23-2014 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck (Post 2353474)
It is what it is. Better to cut your losses and move on than to hold onto them and try to make them work when they were obviously fails.

The focus should be on fielding the best team not making our draft choices look better than they were.

True Dat, and i think that was part of Kubiaks problem.

dalemurphy 06-23-2014 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dalemurphy (Post 2353512)
QB: Fitz, Savage, Keenum
RB: Foster, Brown, Blue
FB: Prosch
TE: Fiedorowicz, Graham, Griffin, Potter
WR: AJ, Hopkins, Posey, Bonner, KMarttin
OT: Brown, Newton, Yietman, Dima (probably replaced with a FA)
C/G: Myers, Brooks, Sua Filo, Ben Jones, White

P: Lechler
K: Bullock
LS: Weeks

DL: Watt, Crick, Powe, Matthews, Nix, Jamison, Pagan
OLB: Clowney, B.Reed, T.Williams, Mercilus,
ILB: Cushing, Dent, Sapp, Tuggle
CB: KJ, JJ, B.Harris, A.Hall, Buoye
S: Swearinger, Clemons, K.Lewis, Ballentine, Pleasant/or Mack

PUP: Brennan Williams

P.Squad: Labhart wr, Lemon wr, M.Williams cb, Bullough Ilb, C.Young Ilb, D.Johnson rb, Ferentz c, Warmsley dl

A few things I think are likely to be different regarding the roster makeup under this staff:

1. Playing more zone and focusing on special teams means we are likely to see 5 cbs and 5 safeties instead of the 6 -4 ratio we are accustomed to. Also, I think we will have mor tweeters... Guys around 205 lbs with physicality and ball skills - Marcus Coleman types... So, I think guys like buoyed and Pleasant have a good opportunity to make the team. Meanwhile, one dimensional guys like Keo are history.

2. The breakdown of DL, Ilb, Olb may look strange also, because many of the guys will be expected to play varied positions in a wide range of packages. For instance, Watt and Jamison will be used as traditional 3-4 DEs sometimes. But, I expect both of them to stand up at OlB on occasion or setup outside the tackle in 3 pt stances sometimes.

3. Though I only had 5 wrs on my list, I would not be shocked if we kept 6, perhaps even 7 in future years.

4. I expect the practice squad to be more actively used as a means of depth in season. I never saw an intentional effort to stash needed young depth on it under Kubiak.... I realize the limitations of the P.S. Rules and risk associated with players on it. However, during the season, seldom are teams willing to claim players off another teams squad for a number of reasons.

Seegara 06-24-2014 06:20 PM

I'm ok with most of it, but like Chris Boswell as kicker. Please, God, anybody but Bullock!

My impression is that BoB will turn out to be a really nice guy once you get to know him. But he will give Bullock his walking papers. There's a difference between a nice guy and a fool.

Texian 06-24-2014 07:31 PM

I think Tuggle is in and may be Trevardo.

Troy Chapman 06-25-2014 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seegara (Post 2353917)
I'm ok with most of it, but like Chris Boswell as kicker. Please, God, anybody but Bullock!

My impression is that BoB will turn out to be a really nice guy once you get to know him. But he will give Bullock his walking papers. There's a difference between a nice guy and a fool.

Boswell better get it going in training camp. Reports from OTA's has Bullock easily ahead of Boswell.

CloakNNNdagger 06-25-2014 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seegara (Post 2353917)

Let me see, difficult choice...........

http://thumb10.shutterstock.com/disp...-110722997.jpg

VS

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2.../Vomit-366.jpg

michaelm 06-25-2014 09:02 AM

Personally I thought Bullock looked better and more comfortable as the season progressed. I think he will continue to improve and predict he will be a solid kicker with great range for years.

And this statement is coming from a 'Horns fan, so that's not Aggie homerism speaking.

TheIronDuke 06-25-2014 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michaelm (Post 2354056)
Personally I thought Bullock looked better and more comfortable as the season progressed. I think he will continue to improve and predict he will be a solid kicker with great range for years.

And this statement is coming from a 'Horns fan, so that's not Aggie homerism speaking.

But unfortunately he was looking better only as his kicks didn't matter anymore. When they counted, he couldn't make anything.