Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   #Texans trade QB T.J. Yates to Falcons for LB Akeem Dent (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105371)

Playoffs 06-18-2014 09:51 PM

#Texans trade QB T.J. Yates to Falcons for LB Akeem Dent

ProFootballTalk @ProFootballTalk
Quote:

Texans trade QB T.J. Yates to Falcons for LB Akeem Dent, per league source.
6'1", 240 lbs ILB 26 years old, camp body imo.

Quote:

Updating a previous item, Falcons LB Akeem Dent won't need offseason ankle surgery.
Quote:

Dent was initially expected to need a "clean-out" procedure. He got a second opinion this week, and it was determined rest and rehab should do the trick. Dent lost his starting job as the Falcons middle linebacker this past season to Paul Worrilow and will contribute as a reserve and on special teams in 2014.
Feb 8 - 11:28 AM
2011 Pro Day results
Quote:

Dates: 03/22/11
Height: 6010
Weight: 242
40 Yrd Dash: 4.73
20 Yrd Dash: 2.72
10 Yrd Dash: 1.70
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 24
Vertical Jump: 37 1/2
Broad Jump: 10'03"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.38
3-Cone Drill: 6.93
3-cone number ~= Ryan Shazier's from '14 class.

2011 3rd round pick by Falcons.

NCTexan 06-18-2014 09:51 PM

Re: #Texans trade QB T.J. Yates to Falcons for LB Akeem Dent

Quote:

Originally Posted by Playoffs (Post 2352094)
ProFootballTalk @ProFootballTalk

Nooooo! I thought I had you beat in the TJ was released thread and which QB would be waived thread.

ItsMyFault 06-18-2014 09:53 PM

Well, the Texans could always use ILB depth. Hopefully him moving back to 3-4 helps him out since has sucked in 4-3.

TheMatrix31 06-18-2014 09:54 PM

Not sure who that is but okay, sure.

badboy 06-18-2014 09:57 PM

How he can he be traded if he was cut? What am I missing here? Local Fox channel just showed OB talking about Yates being cut and a solid pro that should land somewhere.

Playoffs 06-18-2014 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badboy (Post 2352101)
How he can he be traded if he was cut? What am I missing here? Local Fox channel just showed OB talking about Yates being cut and a solid pro that should land somewhere.

Evidently hadn't been filed with the league, yet,

and Falcons wanted to snake him away from Kubiak.

Yates certainly would have chosen the Ravens, imo.

Apparently a (very) mini bidding war developed after the announcement,

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
Quote:

Per @ProFootballTalk, once word got out #Texans would be releasing Yates, teams started calling. Suddenly, he had value & no deadline to cut

TJ Yates was informed of his release yesterday. But on today’s transaction wire, his name wasn’t submitted. This trade explains why. #solved

Tues #Texans decided to cut QB TJ Yates. Move never became official, thus they could trade him for #Falcons LB Akeem Dent. PFT 1st reported

Nitrofish 06-18-2014 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badboy (Post 2352101)

Was wondering the same thing.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...d-e8fd28f86eef

Uncle Rico 06-18-2014 10:12 PM

http://www.csnhouston.com/football-h...-yates-falcons

Quote:

The Texans pulled a fast one.

The Texans never officially cut T.J. Yates. Instead, they kept the veteran quarterback on the roster, then traded him to the Falcons on Wednesday night.

AngryNateFTW 06-18-2014 10:14 PM

TJ Yates is a Marietta, Georgia Native. Good spot for him to land and possibly play back-up the rest of his career.

Falcons had big ILB problems with losing Witherspoon for the year. They must not think much of Dent and so we probably shouldn't either. Camp body like the OP said.

badboy 06-18-2014 10:24 PM

Concerning his ankle injury this article is Feb 14th

Quote:

At first, it looked as if Atlanta Falcons‘ inside linebacker Akeem Dent would need to get ankle surgery from an injury he sustained in Week 4 during a loss to the New England Patriots. The injury seemed to carry over through the entire season. After seeking a second opinion, it looks like Dent will not need surgery after all.

When getting the second look at his ankle, Dent was told rest and rehab should help repair the ankle just fine. Dent lost the starting linebacker role because of the lingering injury to undrafted rookie Paul Worrilow. Dent then had to play on special teams.

Dent is entering the final year on the four-year contract he signed in 2011. Dent is expected to be back in play for the starting linebacker role barring any setbacks or if the organization adds anyone from free agency or the draft.

The team recently released Dent’s former teammate Stephen Nicholas last Wednesday. The Falcons suffered from big-time injuries throughout the 2013 season and it hurt the defense more than anything. Dent will count for $860,725 in 2014. The Falcons are praying that he can produce defensively.

If Dent can not, the team can release the former third round pick from Georgia. Either way, Dent will face some type of adversity. Will he overcome the odds?

Brandon Sweeney is Co-Editor of the Gab Network. Follow him on Twitter @NFLNSTUFF, Like him on Facebook , add him to Google+, and Trust him on Sulia.

Stats:
IIRC he had pretty decent tackles in his last year at Georgia

DBCooper 06-18-2014 10:28 PM

At least we got something for the guy.

Playoffs 06-18-2014 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DBCooper (Post 2352113)
At least we got something for the guy.

Most exciting event since we got a 6th for Matt. :doot:

...pending dent passes physical exam.

76Texan 06-18-2014 11:20 PM

I've been trying to refrain from the first moment I read this; and it was like the first moment it was posted.

I cannot help remember reading a book (maybe Tim green? ) and players were saying how they think they were treated like pieces of meat

I think the situation is better handled now.

I still think I like to post this as a reference of time past and time nowadays.

beerlover 06-19-2014 12:45 AM

Remember Akeem out of Georgia, had a 5th rd. grade on him. Hate to say this but reminded me a lot of Sharpton, good in pursuit but not anchor in the middle if that what anyone was hoping for. Better fit OLB but they already have Trevardo. Going to be tough for him just like Yates but Texans seem to have sorted out QB, must still have LB questions that calls to bring in more talent/comp.

Thorn 06-19-2014 01:46 AM

WTF? Was he traded or cut?

Lambert 06-19-2014 02:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thorn (Post 2352134)
WTF? Was he traded or cut?

He was traded because although the team told TJ he was cut they didn't inform the league, and so he wasn't on waivers. They traded him to Atlanta because having not put him on waivers, they still owned his rights and wanted to have Atlanta have him as opposed to a division team, and because they needed a ILB.

Why do they need a ILB? 'Cause, 1) with Clowney maybe down for the first part of the season, they need Brooks at OLB, not ILB. 2) While they have several ILB candidates---Bullough, etc., what happens if Cush is not ready, can't play at his previous ability, or is again injured?

CloakNNNdagger 06-19-2014 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lambert (Post 2352136)
He was traded because although the team told TJ he was cut they didn't inform the league, and so he wasn't on waivers. They traded him to Atlanta because having not put him on waivers, they still owned his rights and wanted to have Atlanta have him as opposed to a division team, and because they needed a ILB.

Why do they need a ILB? 'Cause, 1) with Clowney maybe down for the first part of the season, they need Brooks at OLB, not ILB. 2) While they have several ILB candidates---Bullough, etc., what happens if Cush is not ready, can't play at his previous ability, or is again injured?

I can't muster any excitement about a player that pre-ankle surgery demonstrated underwhelming tackling technique.....and absolutely NO COVERAGE SKILLS. BTW, Atlanta just replaced him by signing Tim Dobbins, who if you remember was IRed in January 2013 for also a severe ankle injury, then re-signed......and decided to skip OTAs to work on his house......then from then on suffered unrelenting hamstring problems until he was finally released. On the bright side, it gave him time to complete building his home.:wadepalm:

IDEXAN 06-19-2014 07:33 AM

Rick is getting to be a real slicker, and I mean that in a complimentary way.
He's making moves to capture value or potential value for our team in exchange for unwanted, discarded players. And I dunno, but where was crack Texans-beat-journalist McClain when this deal was going down, chowing down on What-a-Burgers and watching flics ?

disaacks3 06-19-2014 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IDEXAN (Post 2352161)
He's making moves to capture value or potential value for our team in exchange for unwanted, discarded players. And I dunno, but where was crack Texans-beat-journalist McClain when this deal was going down, chowing down on What-a-Burgers and watching flics ?

I'd like to agree with you, but I think this was more "the phone started ringing" and teams farther down the waiver wire didn't want to risk losing out.

CloakNNNdagger 06-19-2014 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IDEXAN (Post 2352161)

I was thinking the same. For that matter, where were any of the HT.com reporters? I am quickly getting very discouraged by the poor/false reporting on this team......even on non-secretive issues.