Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Why is Derek Newton Still a Texan? (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104618)

Nitrofish 04-04-2014 01:15 AM

Why is Derek Newton Still a Texan?

Yea the recent signing of players like Ryan Fitzpatrick, I find myself confused regarding what O'Brien is up to, but nothing even comes close to wondering why Derek Newton is still a Texan. I can find no justification for keeping that guy around.

I have read posts calling for blood after last seasons disaster. Yet I hear no one calling for this guys head. Why not? Someone please explain this to me.

Why?

The Pencil Neck 04-04-2014 01:28 AM

Re: Why is Derek Newton Still a Texan?

Maybe OB wants to see what he can do with him. Maybe OB doesn't think he's as bad as we do. Maybe they're not worried about cutting him because they're not planning on needing an extra $1.4 million right now and think they can wait until after the draft and after training camp.

BigBull 04-04-2014 01:39 AM

Maybe OB thinks he can play guard.

Sent from the future...

Trap_Star 04-04-2014 01:40 AM

he's the third musketeer....with ricky and cal.

Wolf6151 04-04-2014 03:09 AM

Maybe O'Brien realizes that Newton played all of last season injured and wants to see what Newton can do coming into training camp fully healthy. I'm sure there will be competition at RT and that it won't just be given to Newton, he'll have to earn it if he plays the position. Newton is also young, cheap, has 2 yrs. of experience at the RT position and we have to have 90 players on the roster for training camp anyway.

Lucky 04-04-2014 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck (Post 2322276)
Maybe OB wants to see what he can do with him. Maybe OB doesn't think he's as bad as we do. Maybe they're not worried about cutting him because they're not planning on needing an extra $1.4 million right now and think they can wait until after the draft and after training camp.

Where is this number coming from? Newton signed a 4 year, $2.1 million deal as a rookie in 2011. This is the last year of his contract at $645,000. Newton made an additional $175k in "performance pay" last year. No, I'm not joking.

The Texans would take a dead money cap hit of about $15k ($60k/4) with a net savings of about 630k if Newton is released. Not much there. The Texans haven't signed any OTs, and the draft is still a month away. No need to make that move now. And as BigBull suggests, the Texans may want to look at Newton at guard.

ArlingtonTexan 04-04-2014 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky (Post 2322284)
Where is this number coming from? Newton signed a 4 year, $2.1 million deal as a rookie in 2011. This is the last year of his contract at $645,000. Newton made an additional $175k in "performance pay" last year. No, I'm not joking.

The Texans would take a dead money cap hit of about $15k ($60k/4) with a net savings of about 630k if Newton is released. Not much there. The Texans haven't signed any OTs, and the draft is still a month away. No need to make that move now. And as BigBull suggests, the Texans may want to look at Newton at guard.

Basically, it is cheap to keep him, nothing more, nothing less.

_King_ 04-04-2014 07:07 AM

I don't know what to think of newton. I saw some things technique wise that made me question John Benton as a line coach. Guys making the same mistakes over and over. Seems like the line got progressively worse under him.

Corrosion 04-04-2014 07:19 AM

Why is he still a Texan ?? His contract is relatively small for the position with little guaranteed. May as well bring him to camp and let him compete , if he doesn't win a spot on the roster then cut him and the cap hit still next to nothing ($15k).

As bad as he is and as much as we all think he needs to get gone , it just doesn't make much sense to cut him prior to camp.

Marcus 04-04-2014 07:26 AM

Because he might not be as bad as "we" think he is? :kitten:

2slik4u 04-04-2014 07:39 AM

Two things:

1. We are probably drafting a RT and therefor Newton will be only depth

And

2. Maybe he was never suited for the ZBS and that was why he failed miserably?

thunderkyss 04-04-2014 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky (Post 2322284)

OTC says $1,431,000 in salary for the up coming season.

I'm with Nitro on this one, doesn't make sense that he's still here. If we're wanting Danieal Manning to take a pay cut saving something less than $4.5M, then that $1.43M allotted for Derek Newton should be awful attractive. Manning, imo, earned his money when he was healthy, Newton did not. If we're saying let's wait to see if these guys are healthy... well why aren't we waiting to see if producers are healthy? I know OD failed his physical, but he is healthy enough now, less than a month later, to be signed by Baltimore. & it's not like we're signing FAs to $5M against the cap deals... or even $2M against the cap.

Doesn't make sense to me.

infantrycak 04-04-2014 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thunderkyss (Post 2322297)

Yes it does, and so does spotrac ... and it makes no sense. As Lucky said they also report the 4 year $2.1 mil deal on which there is only $645k remaining unpaid. Rotoworld has that $645k as his base 2014 salary. That makes sense.

Either way there is no particular benefit to cutting him. He's dirt cheap and the Texans are looking for camp bodies not to trim the roster. There is no reason for guys to go from starter to off the team - there are backup spots and camp bodies needed.

If they get to the point of needing his $630k/$1.416 mil in cap space to sign someone then they sign the new guy and cut Newton 1 second earlier. There's zero benefit to cutting him until you need the space and he may stick as a cheap backup.

Troy Chapman 04-04-2014 08:09 AM

I guess nobody read OTC's article earlier this year on salary escalators. Derek Newton had $744,000 in salary escalators, which increased his 2014 base salary by that much. That is why his base salary is so high this year.

http://overthecap.com/updated-2014-nfl-salary-increases

The escalator is not guaranteed. Would be a $1.4m in cap savings if released at any point. But he is still relatively inexpensive. Has game time experience. So even if he is not the starter, he is a good back up to have at this point. I am confident Newton will be on the 53 man roster this year.

Corrosion 04-04-2014 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Troy Chapman (Post 2322307)
I guess nobody read OTC's article earlier this year on salary escalators. Derek Newton had $744,000 in salary escalators, which increased his 2014 base salary by that much. That is why his base salary is so high this year.

That may be the case , but he's still cheap in terms of the position and that minimum bump in salary is still no reason to cut him prior to camp where you can see if he sticks as a starter or backup.

It costs no more to cut him in July than it does today.

Troy Chapman 04-04-2014 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corrosion (Post 2322309)
That may be the case , but he's still cheap in terms of the position and that minimum bump in salary is still no reason to cut him prior to camp where you can see if he sticks as a starter or backup.

Yep agreed. I added to my original post covering the same thought.

steelbtexan 04-04-2014 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trap_Star (Post 2322278)
he's the third musketeer....with ricky and cal.

^^^^
This

steelbtexan 04-04-2014 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thunderkyss (Post 2322297)

I'm with Nitro on this one, doesn't make sense that he's still here. If we're wanting Danieal Manning to take a pay cut saving something less than $4.5M, then that $1.43M allotted for Derek Newton should be awful attractive. Manning, imo, earned his money when he was healthy, Newton did not. If we're saying let's wait to see if these guys are healthy... well why aren't we waiting to see if producers are healthy? I know OD failed his physical, but he is healthy enough now, less than a month later, to be signed by Baltimore. & it's not like we're signing FAs to $5M against the cap deals... or even $2M against the cap.

Doesn't make sense to me.

It makes plenty of sense, if you're penny pinching instead of trying to put the best product on the field as possible. How long did it take for the Bengals to sing Manning?

HOU-TEX 04-04-2014 08:31 AM

Cheap and like Icak said, we need players. I don't expect him to start for us again, but he's ok for depth.

thunderkyss 04-04-2014 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Troy Chapman (Post 2322307)

The escalator is not guaranteed. Would be a $1.4m in cap savings if released at any point. But he is still relatively inexpensive. Has game time experience. So even if he is not the starter, he is a good back up to have at this point. I am confident Newton will be on the 53 man roster this year.

good stuff... I can buy that, thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corrosion (Post 2322309)

I understand where you're coming from, but the tone of the original post was more of a "if he was soooooo bad" kind of thing, generated from all the slack he's been getting here. I don't think he meant, "Obviously he wasn't that bad." kind of thing, but more along the, "we tend to overreact" kind of thing.