Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The National Football League (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Eric Winston elected as President of the NFL Players Association (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104453)

Playoffs 03-19-2014 12:24 PM

Eric Winston elected as President of the NFL Players Association
 
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
Quote:

Eric Winston was elected as President of the NFL Players Association today.

drs23 03-19-2014 12:35 PM

Re: Eric Winston elected as President of the NFL Players Association
 
Quote:
Eric Winston was elected as President of the NFL Players Association today.

What is D. Smith? Or is caveman replacing him?

Playoffs 03-19-2014 12:47 PM

Re: Eric Winston elected as President of the NFL Players Association
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by drs23 (Post 2314557)
What is D. Smith?

Executive Director.

IDEXAN 03-19-2014 01:26 PM

Re: Eric Winston elected as President of the NFL Players Association
 
Winston is a smart and articulate guy who is also apparently a capable politician, though I'm unsure what benefits this job offers Winston unless its another line on his resume which might help his career after football ?

PapaL 03-19-2014 03:35 PM

Re: Eric Winston elected as President of the NFL Players Association
 
I hope he doesn't have to pass block. Or else he's getting cut again next year.

houstonspartan 03-22-2014 06:50 PM

Winston will be in front of the cameras as much as he can. He's a smart guy, but, I have rarely seen someone so blatantly seek the spotlight as much as that guy. If you ever wonder where to find Eric Winston, just look for the TV cameras.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

infantrycak 03-22-2014 06:55 PM

Re: Eric Winston elected as President of the NFL Players Association
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by houstonspartan (Post 2316567)
Winston will be in front of the cameras as much as he can. He's a smart guy, but, I have rarely seen someone so blatantly seek the spotlight as much as that guy. If you ever wonder where to find Eric Winston, just look for the TV cameras.

I have never understood this complaint about Winston. All he ever did was respond to media requests.

People behave as if he was putting the Texans second by being on the radio while all the other Texans were studiously in the film room when for all we know they were at home playing naked dunking for Twinkies.

steelbtexan 03-23-2014 04:23 PM

Re: Eric Winston elected as President of the NFL Players Association
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by IDEXAN (Post 2314588)
Winston is a smart and articulate guy who is also apparently a capable politician, though I'm unsure what benefits this job offers Winston unless its another line on his resume which might help his career after football ?

Eric Winston gives me the feel of a guy who cares more about his post NFL career more than his current NFL career. I guess kissing the media's but and clubhouse lawyering pays off. Great Job Eric your getting what you always wanted.

infantrycak 03-23-2014 04:29 PM

Re: Eric Winston elected as President of the NFL Players Association
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by steelbtexan (Post 2316812)
Eric Winston gives me the feel of a guy who cares more about his post NFL career more than his current NFL career. I guess kissing the media's but and clubhouse lawyering pays off. Great Job Eric your getting what you always wanted.

What did he ever do that was clubhouse lawyering?

Playoffs 03-23-2014 04:34 PM

Re: Eric Winston elected as President of the NFL Players Association
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by infantrycak (Post 2316568)
I have never understood this complaint about Winston. All he ever did was respond to media requests...

Neither have I. His were the more informative player interviews I heard anywhere. Played pretty well here, filled leadership void on offensive side, smart articulate guy with a plan. More power to him as his career winds down, imo.

steelbtexan 03-23-2014 04:42 PM

Re: Eric Winston elected as President of the NFL Players Association
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by infantrycak (Post 2316815)
What did he ever do that was clubhouse lawyering?

I don't have a link to prove Winston was a clubhouse lawyer, although I did here on the Koch/Kalu show that there was some of this in the Texans lockerroom. I do know that to become a player rep you have to part politician.

Lucky 03-23-2014 05:06 PM

Re: Eric Winston elected as President of the NFL Players Association
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by infantrycak (Post 2316568)
...for all we know they were at home playing naked dunking for Twinkies.

Don't know how to play naked dunking for Twinkies. Don't want to know.

HOU-TEX 03-24-2014 10:32 AM

Re: Eric Winston elected as President of the NFL Players Association
 
The next CBA negotiations should be interesting with Winston involved. That is, if he has the manbag to take a stand on topics he talked so much about during the last lockout. I think he does, which leads me to believe the next negotiations won't be easy either

thunderkyss 03-24-2014 03:36 PM

Re: Eric Winston elected as President of the NFL Players Association
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by houstonspartan (Post 2316567)
Winston will be in front of the cameras as much as he can. He's a smart guy, but, I have rarely seen someone so blatantly seek the spotlight as much as that guy. If you ever wonder where to find Eric Winston, just look for the TV cameras.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Eric's got a face for Radio..... needs to keep it there.

IDEXAN 03-25-2014 12:02 PM

Re: Eric Winston elected as President of the NFL Players Association
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by HOU-TEX (Post 2317038)
The next CBA negotiations should be interesting with Winston involved. That is, if he has the manbag to take a stand on topics he talked so much about during the last lockout. I think he does, which leads me to believe the next negotiations won't be easy either

I know that Winston right now is technically a FA, but at some point doesn't he have to become an active player under contract to one or the league teams again, or can he continue in this role as Prez of the NFL Players Association indefinitely while being a free agent ?

HOU-TEX 03-25-2014 12:51 PM

Re: Eric Winston elected as President of the NFL Players Association
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by IDEXAN (Post 2317580)
I know that Winston right now is technically a FA, but at some point doesn't he have to become an active player under contract to one or the league teams again, or can he continue in this role as Prez of the NFL Players Association indefinitely while being a free agent ?

No, current and retired players are a part of the executive committee. I believe Charlie Batch, Drew Brees, Brian Dawkins, Scott Fujita, Matt Hasselbeck, Matt Light, Brandon Moore, Jeff Saturday, Brian Waters, and Benjamin Watson are the existing committee

PapaL 03-31-2014 10:36 AM

Re: Eric Winston elected as President of the NFL Players Association
 
Eric Winston would like to sign with team before draft; LINK

Quote:

While he’s protecting the interests of the league’s players as a group, he’d like to be advancing the interests of one team as a member of their offensive line. Winston would like to return for another year in the desert, although he knows that might not be possible. Whether it is in Arizona or elsewhere, Winston would like to sign before the draft in May.

“I can’t say there have been super-positive talks or anything like that,” Winston said, via Dan Bickley of the Arizona Republic. “It doesn’t seem like anything is being done. I’d still love to come back to Arizona. I love the guys in the locker room, love the city, and I think the team will be really good with or without me. They’re ready to have a special run out there. At the same time, it is what it is. I’m looking to get on a team as soon as possible, hopefully before the draft. I know I still have some miles left on the tires, and I’m looking to burn them off.”

_King_ 03-31-2014 11:32 AM

Re: Eric Winston elected as President of the NFL Players Association
 
I'm not a big Winston fan...

He makes some good points but he's a little too indignant for my taste.

_King_ 03-31-2014 11:35 AM

Re: Eric Winston elected as President of the NFL Players Association
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by PapaL (Post 2320289)
Eric Winston would like to sign with team before draft; LINK

Winston likes to talk and share his opinions with the media.

I wouldn't be surprised if teams are a little gun shy about having him on their team. President of NFLPA + likes to talk to media...

It's like having Joan Rivers in your room watching you get dressed to go out somewhere.

thetexanator 04-02-2014 09:40 PM

Re: Eric Winston elected as President of the NFL Players Association
 
the caveman. his face. hes a pretty smart guy, but that face. guy is like 50 percent neanderthal.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:30 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger