Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Would you sign off on keeping Matt Schaub if... (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104443)

thunderkyss 03-18-2014 12:18 PM

Would you sign off on keeping Matt Schaub if...

If the Texans got your QB in this draft... regardless who it is. If you want Bridgewater, imagine we got Bridgewater. If you want Connor Shaw, imagine we managed to get Connor Shaw.

Would you be ok with him competing with Matt Schaub for the starting position?

badboy 03-18-2014 12:23 PM

Re: Would you sign off on keeping Matt Schaub if...

Quote:

Originally Posted by thunderkyss (Post 2313850)
If the Texans got your QB in this draft... regardless who it is. If you want Bridgewater, imagine we got Bridgewater. If you want Connor Shaw, imagine we managed to get Connor Shaw.

No, I have Garoppolo in 2nd round and think MS is psychologically kaput. We should take any offer Raiders or Browns offer. We have OBrien and a QB coach to train up rookie & Keenum.

DocBar 03-18-2014 12:34 PM

:overreact::goodpost::barman:

IDEXAN 03-18-2014 12:37 PM

Why do a lot of people seem to have like such a personal grudge mentality towards Matt Schaub ? OK, he had a terrible year and had a lot to do with us going 2-14, but some of you act as if it was all because of intentional acts by Schaub as if he actually wanted to sabotage our whole season ?
I doubt that he's around this Fall, but if the new HC surprises us, maybe even shocks us with a plan that includes Schaub this Fall, I'm with the coach.

Wolf 03-18-2014 12:42 PM

Matt Schuab is Brad Lidge 2.0

Thorn 03-18-2014 12:43 PM

I'm sick of Schaub. I want him gone. Period.

Hervoyel 03-18-2014 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badboy (Post 2313854)
No, I have Garoppolo in 2nd round and think MS is psychologically kaput. We should take any offer Raiders or Browns offer. We have OBrien and a QB coach to train up rookie & Keenum.

See, I'm here. I think that Matt Schaub is profoundly broken the way Jake Delhomme was broken. He's caught in a decision-making-death-spiral from which almost no one ever truly escapes without a complete change of scenery (and even then it's rare). This is Brad Lidge territory. This is time to move on territory. I don't trust Matt anymore. I think that's where the Texans were about the time Kubiak got fired and Keenum got told he would not be sitting down again barring injury.

Where they are today I don't know but we'd have to be drafting the successful clone of Troy Aikman for me to be OK with keeping Matt Schaub around. If anyone can get us out of his contract (I'd literally give them a 6th or 7th rounder to take him) then we should jump at that chance.

IDEXAN 03-18-2014 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolf (Post 2313876)

You do know Lidge came back and helped the Phillies win a WS ?

infantrycak 03-18-2014 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IDEXAN (Post 2313885)

But he left Houston to get his mojo back and it was probably the best result for both.

Playoffs 03-18-2014 12:51 PM

Need more polls...

Marshall 03-18-2014 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thunderkyss (Post 2313850)

Yes. For the right price. Otherwise I'm fine with Keenum and Yates.

Blake 03-18-2014 12:53 PM

I am indifferent.

On one hand I am ready to move on from Schaub. Just deal with his dead money now, instead of letting it linger for another year and then still dealing with his dead money.

On the other hand there is always the chance that Schaub can rebound from his horrendeous season in O'Briens offense with some new coaching. He is a vet who in theory could come in day 1 and really put some defenses on their heels.

But at the end of the day I have to think that the best option is to go with a new QB, let him get the experience of playing an entire season, while getting the cap in hand for a run in 2015.

ObsiWan 03-18-2014 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolf (Post 2313876)

Matt Schaub prays that you're right.
Lidge went on to the World Series with the Phillies while the Astros stayed at home and watched. He also made the All-Star team and was in the running for MVP once he got to Philly.

Yeah, I'm thinking Schaub hopes you're right.

Marshall 03-18-2014 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IDEXAN (Post 2313885)

~Don't let facts get in the way of a good grudge. Once you've made a judgment, especially when you're wrong, STICK TO IT!!!~

PapaL 03-18-2014 01:02 PM

Sometimes a change of scenery/staff is what a guy needs. I don't see the harm in him competing, besides to the fanbase. Heck it could buy "the rookie" a month to better learn the system, playbook, and tendency of his teammates.

WolverineFan 03-18-2014 01:07 PM

Depends on who it is. If it's Bridgewater then cut Schaub. If it's anyone else (Bortles, Garoppolo, Mettenberger, Murray, Fales, etc.) then keep him or replace him with a stop-gap vet. I'm not really into the whole throwing rookie QB's to the wolves thing. Bridgewater and Murray are the only guys that I think are mentally ready to start next year.

ObsiWan 03-18-2014 01:14 PM

Related question:

If O'Brien thinks he can restore Schaub to a 2009 level of play and brings him (Schaub) back, does this make O'Brien an id!ot in your eyes?

_King_ 03-18-2014 01:15 PM

For the purposes of this thread...Yes, because I believe the guy I want is a franchise guy so if keeping MS meant we got that guy, why would I not be ok with it?

But...IRL, I really am just going to trust what OB does at this point...Well, not so much "trust", but I won't be so critical of it. Willing to just wait and see.

Hervoyel 03-18-2014 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ObsiWan (Post 2313905)
Related question:

If O'Brien thinks he can restore Schaub to a 2009 level of play and brings him (Schaub) back, does this make O'Brien an id!ot in your eyes?

Related Answer:

No, not at all. It just means we see things differently and I'll be pulling for him to be right. If it doesn't work out that way however and if we all watch Matt pick right up where he left off then I'll be terribly annoyed that what appeared obvious to so many of us wasn't seen by OB. I'll be frustrated because yet another year goes by and some of our better players don't have many of those left.

Ryan 03-18-2014 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ObsiWan (Post 2313905)
Related question:

No, I think that'd be the right thing to do. I'm not most people though, and O'Brien is really gonna have to sell this to the fanbase. It can't be coming from McNair or anyone else.