Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The National Football League (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Rumor: Texans interested in Matt Cassell Re-signs w/Vikings (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104321)

ArlingtonTexan 03-06-2014 07:57 AM

Rumor: Texans interested in Matt Cassell Re-signs w/Vikings
 
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...gn=Twitter_atl


When Matt Cassel opted out of his deal with #Vikings, it made him a FA. The interest from his Pats connection Bill O’Brien & #Texans is real
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet

2slik4u 03-06-2014 08:04 AM

Re: Rumor: Texans interested in Matt Cassell
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan (Post 2308346)
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...gn=Twitter_atl


When Matt Cassel opted out of his deal with #Vikings, it made him a FA. The interest from his Pats connection Bill O’Brien & #Texans is real
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet

I may be one of the few that puts some support behind this. There's no doubt the kid played well under Obie in NE as evidence by his inflated contract in KC after Brady came back. He can be a "stop gap" for us. Take Clowney 1.1, take Garrapolo (sp) 2.1 and pick up Cassel on the cheap for a 1-2 year deal until our rookie develops.

Can't miss plan right there! If Garrapolo isn't there, McCarron looks good too. Either way, a rookie to learn and develop until Obie sees that he is ready. I think with good coaching we could win 10-11 games with Cassel under center and a great supporting cast (which I would argue we already have).

Sigma 03-06-2014 08:57 AM

Re: Rumor: Texans interested in Matt Cassell
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2slik4u (Post 2308347)
I may be one of the few that puts some support behind this. There's no doubt the kid played well under Obie in NE as evidence by his inflated contract in KC after Brady came back. He can be a "stop gap" for us. Take Clowney 1.1, take Garrapolo (sp) 2.1 and pick up Cassel on the cheap for a 1-2 year deal until our rookie develops.

Can't miss plan right there! If Garrapolo isn't there, McCarron looks good too. Either way, a rookie to learn and develop until Obie sees that he is ready. I think with good coaching we could win 10-11 games with Cassel under center and a great supporting cast (which I would argue we already have).

I'm not really between those who want clowney here at all costs, I would be ok with them trading down to 1-4 and pick whichever is left between
clowny/menzel/bridgeh2o/bottles

:)

pirbroke 03-06-2014 09:09 AM

Re: Rumor: Texans interested in Matt Cassell
 
I am all for this, I don't want to give up high draft picks with a trade or use a high pick on a QB. if we can get a ok QB in free agency and use the draft picks for Clowney, a OT, and a guard in that order, I will be a happy camper.

pirbroke 03-06-2014 09:12 AM

Re: Rumor: Texans interested in Matt Cassell
 
he opted out of 3.7 million, I am not sure if he is chasing more money or a chance to start in a program more fitted for him, I hope the latter.

nero THE zero 03-06-2014 09:17 AM

Re: Rumor: Texans interested in Matt Cassell
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2slik4u (Post 2308347)
I may be one of the few that puts some support behind this. There's no doubt the kid played well under Obie in NE as evidence by his inflated contract in KC after Brady came back. He can be a "stop gap" for us. Take Clowney 1.1, take Garrapolo (sp) 2.1 and pick up Cassel on the cheap for a 1-2 year deal until our rookie develops.

Sounds like a plan to me.

Also an option that seems to have a lot of good things said about him is Brett Smith.

That would be a damn fine plan to me.

pirbroke 03-06-2014 09:26 AM

Re: Rumor: Texans interested in Matt Cassell
 
I cant wait for March 11, Free agency to begin. Who Texans pick up will help show the direction of draft.

Allstar 03-06-2014 09:47 AM

Re: Rumor: Texans interested in Matt Cassell
 
O'Brien was the WR coach when Cassel was in New England.

Double Barrel 03-06-2014 10:47 AM

Re: Rumor: Texans interested in Matt Cassell
 
I'm cool with Cassell if this is who O'Brien wants for 2014. In O'Brien I trust. :texflag:

I do not see any of the QBs worth a 1.1 pick in this draft. And the problem is that O'Brien is married to the player if he goes with a QB. The pressure to make him an immediate starter will be immense, and O'Brien's head coaching career would be in a make or break situation based on the fortunes of one player. Minimum 2-3 year learning curve, and by then, if the Texans are not going to the playoffs, it could get ugly around H-town.

I'd rather see a dude like Clowney in this RC defense next to JJ. This gives O'Brien some room to maneuver in finding his QB.

I do not see much upside to drafting a QB this year, especially since none of them are obvious NFL material right now.

False Start 03-06-2014 11:05 AM

Re: Rumor: Texans interested in Matt Cassell
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Double Barrel (Post 2308412)
I'm cool with Cassell if this is who O'Brien wants for 2014. In O'Brien I trust. :texflag:

I do not see any of the QBs worth a 1.1 pick in this draft. And the problem is that O'Brien is married to the player if he goes with a QB. The pressure to make him an immediate starter will be immense, and O'Brien's head coaching career would be in a make or break situation based on the fortunes of one player. Minimum 2-3 year learning curve, and by then, if the Texans are not going to the playoffs, it could get ugly around H-town.

I'd rather see a dude like Clowney in this RC defense next to JJ. This gives O'Brien some room to maneuver in finding his QB.

I do not see much upside to drafting a QB this year, especially since none of them are obvious NFL material right now.

Pretty much. I was sold on Manziel at first, but the more I think it over, I am starting to have my doubts.

Playoffs 03-06-2014 11:10 AM

Re: Rumor: Texans interested in Matt Cassell
 
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...ie/laugh-1.gif
Dan Kadar ‏@MockingTheDraft
Quote:

Is Matt Cassel even better than Matt Schaub?

Mike Garafolo ‏@MikeGarafolo
Quote:

Elsewhere on vet QB front, I'd expect Chad Henne to get some decent play. Wouldn't be shocked if Hou was in on him too. Oak, NYJ as well.

Agree with @RapSheet that Matt Cassel is on the Texans' radar. Connection to O'Brien makes sense. Vikes still in play, of course.

TEXANRED 03-06-2014 11:33 AM

Re: Rumor: Texans interested in Matt Cassell
 
So wait, we are going to cut Schaub to save a few million to turn around and sign Cassell for a few million?

I would rather keep Schaub. Cassell is terrible.

Brisco_County 03-06-2014 11:52 AM

Re: Rumor: Texans interested in Matt Cassell
 
The purpose may be to sign Cassell as a stop gap and tutor while the draftee develops under him. It's worth it to avoid the risk of ruining a rookie.

ObsiWan 03-06-2014 12:19 PM

Re: Rumor: Texans interested in Matt Cassell
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brisco_County (Post 2308442)
The purpose may be to sign Cassell as a stop gap and tutor while the draftee develops under him. It's worth it to avoid the risk of ruining a rookie.

I'm having trouble finding the financial "rainbow" in that plan.
Cut Schaub that's 4 - 10 Mil against the 2014 cap
Sign Cassel - who just walked away from a 7-8 mil paycheck to be a F/A - will cost at least 9 mil.
We're getting about the same performance level and you're spending 13-19 mil on that position...
Someone help a brotha out here because that plan doesn't sound like a big win for the Texans from a financial or performance viewpoint.

infantrycak 03-06-2014 12:29 PM

Re: Rumor: Texans interested in Matt Cassell
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ObsiWan (Post 2308456)
Sign Cassel - who just walked away from a 7-8 mil paycheck to be a F/A - will cost at least 9 mil.

Cassel just walked away from $3.7 mil.

Brisco_County 03-06-2014 12:38 PM

Re: Rumor: Texans interested in Matt Cassell
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ObsiWan (Post 2308456)
I'm having trouble finding the financial "rainbow" in that plan.
Cut Schaub that's 4 - 10 Mil against the 2014 cap
Sign Cassel - who just walked away from a 7-8 mil paycheck to be a F/A - will cost at least 9 mil.
We're getting about the same performance level and you're spending 13-19 mil on that position...
Someone help a brotha out here because that plan doesn't sound like a big win for the Texans from a financial or performance viewpoint.

Presumably, Cassell is familiar with the system that O'Brien will install. They save money and add relevant experience to the roster.

TEXANRED 03-06-2014 12:54 PM

Re: Rumor: Texans interested in Matt Cassell
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brisco_County (Post 2308470)
Presumably, Cassell is familiar with the system that O'Brien will install. They save money and add relevant experience to the roster.

Sorry but pass. Cut Schaub and sign Cassel and still spend just as much or more at the QB position for a lesser talent doesn't make any sense.

kiwitexansfan 03-06-2014 01:04 PM

Re: Rumor: Texans interested in Matt Cassell
 
Makes sense they would kick the tyres on someone who might be scheme familiar.

If we are looking for a stop gap starter give me Henne.

Tailgate 03-06-2014 01:05 PM

Re: Rumor: Texans interested in Matt Cassell
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TEXANRED (Post 2308479)
Sorry but pass. Cut Schaub and sign Cassel and still spend just as much or more at the QB position for a lesser talent doesn't make any sense.

Depends on how much and how long.

Hervoyel 03-06-2014 01:09 PM

Re: Rumor: Texans interested in Matt Cassell
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TEXANRED (Post 2308479)
Sorry but pass. Cut Schaub and sign Cassel and still spend just as much or more at the QB position for a lesser talent doesn't make any sense.

At this point I'd have a hard time calling Cassel a lesser talent than Schaub. This isn't 2007-2012 Schaub. This is 2013-2014 Schaub and he's as big a hot mess as you can find under center in the league today.

In a battle of "Who cares about upside" Cassel seems to me to have more than Schaub in 2014. It's just for a year or two at the most and it lets OB prepare a young QB taken this year at his own pace. Worst case he's picks up a guy next year and again there is Cassel to hold it together until that rookie is ready.

I like this plan.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:35 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger