Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Center Battle (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104129)

PHILLYTEXANFAN 02-16-2014 06:13 PM

Center Battle
 
Anyone besides me wanna see a good competition between Myers and Jones for the Center job this TC, last thing we need is a repeat of Myers getting manhandled by opposing defenses

mussop 02-16-2014 06:21 PM

Re: Center Battle
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by PHILLYTEXANFAN (Post 2300166)
Anyone besides me wanna see a good competition between Myers and Jones for the Center job this TC, last thing we need is a repeat of Myers getting manhandled by opposing defenses

You need to check the calibration on your time machine. i think you are a few years off.

PHILLYTEXANFAN 02-16-2014 06:24 PM

Center Battle
 
lol maybe A few clicks too far over


Your man... Pots and pans

ObsiWan 02-16-2014 06:50 PM

Re: Center Battle
 
I want to see how Jones works out at OG. The fact that he can fill in for Myers if something should happen is gravy. Better this way than to have Myers trying to play guard.

PHILLYTEXANFAN 02-16-2014 07:00 PM

I think Quessenberry and brooks can handle the OG spots personally


Your man... Pots and pans

CloakNNNdagger 02-16-2014 07:25 PM

Re: Center Battle
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ObsiWan (Post 2300178)
I want to see how Jones works out at OG. The fact that he can fill in for Myers if something should happen is gravy. Better this way than to have Myers trying to play guard.

I just have this feeling that OB is going to want a heavier center. Meyers not only gives up 20 pounds to Jones, but he gives up about the same to many of the D's he faces.

ObsiWan 02-16-2014 07:26 PM

Re: Center Battle
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by PHILLYTEXANFAN (Post 2300184)
I think Quessenberry and brooks can handle the OG spots personally

Your man... Pots and pans

Maybe... but can Ben Jones call the blocking assignment signals as well as Myers?

PHILLYTEXANFAN 02-16-2014 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ObsiWan (Post 2300200)
Maybe... but can Ben Jones call the blocking assignment signals as well as Myers?


Worth a try. I fear Myers will be manhandled by not playing ZBS, I believe he was a product of that system


Your man... Pots and pans

thunderkyss 02-16-2014 07:47 PM

Re: Center Battle
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by PHILLYTEXANFAN (Post 2300201)
Worth a try. I fear Myers will be manhandled by not playing ZBS, I believe he was a product of that system


Your man... Pots and pans

Vince Wilfork.

Kris Jenkins.


You're a fool if you don't double team those two regardless who your center is. When no named nobodies start jacking up Myers, let me know.


At the same time, we spent a third round pick on Ben Jones. Shame we can't find a place on the field for him.

Brisco_County 02-16-2014 08:10 PM

Re: Center Battle
 
It's strange that we're talking about replacing the center when that was not a failure point last season and LG was.

Also, please cite the last time Myers was manhandled. If you're talking about that Jets game five years ago, that's just silly.

Texan_Bill 02-16-2014 08:11 PM

Re: Center Battle
 
I was one of those guys that scolded Chris Meyers after the viral video of Kris Jenkins of the Jests whoopin', abusing his arse.... That said, I retracted my opinion about Meyers. He played very well.... The thing was, or the question asked should be was he good because of Kubiak's system???

Also it should be noted that Meyers is 34 years old.... Maybe it is time to move to Jones.

thunderkyss 02-16-2014 10:04 PM

Re: Center Battle
 
http://www.houstontexans.com/assets/...190/580mya.jpg

The Pencil Neck 02-16-2014 10:12 PM

Re: Center Battle
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by PHILLYTEXANFAN (Post 2300201)
Worth a try. I fear Myers will be manhandled by not playing ZBS, I believe he was a product of that system

The problem with this statement is the belief that OB doesn't use a ZBS.

He does.

I expect Myers to continue to fit right in.

drs23 02-16-2014 10:19 PM

Re: Center Battle
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck (Post 2300247)
The problem with this statement is the belief that OB doesn't use a ZBS.

He does.

I expect Myers to continue to fit right in.

Why does this keep getting brought up? I thought that was settled long ago.

Shheeesh.

welsh texan 02-17-2014 08:01 AM

Re: Center Battle
 
Silly question, surely everyone wants to see a TC battle at every position. Whether that be Chris Myers, Derek Newton, or JJ Watt.

It's one of the key things that Kubiak wasn't capable of instigating, ever.

Amobi Okoye didn't have to compete, the starting job was his no questions, same went for Kareem Jackson (first couple of years), if the resources invested made a battle embarrassing, you didn't get one.

It's something I'm hoping well see a huge change in.

Would you ever have seen Kubiak make a big QB signing in FA and then invite controversy by using a first day pick at the same position, knowing at least one would fail? Of course you wouldn't, but Seattle are World Champs.

It's also one of the reasons why we failed to develop talent on the Oline to replace the likes of Smith, Walter, brisiel etc, if you aren't de facto #1 you don't get the reps to be ready to step in under Kubiak. Caldwell may have fixed the LG spot already had that not been the case, that swing tackle we had for years (forget his name) may have fixed the RT spot 3 years ago but no. Starters were starters.

I think this explains the incredibly poor record we have in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, if your draft status didn't earn you a starting spot, you sure as hell weren't about to threaten an established vets place in the team.

infantrycak 02-17-2014 08:19 AM

Re: Center Battle
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by welsh texan (Post 2300297)
Silly question, surely everyone wants to see a TC battle at every position. Whether that be Chris Myers, Derek Newton, or JJ Watt.

It's one of the key things that Kubiak wasn't capable of instigating, ever.

There isn't a team in the league that follows that model.

Quote:

Would you ever have seen Kubiak make a big QB signing in FA and then invite controversy by using a first day pick at the same position, knowing at least one would fail? Of course you wouldn't, but Seattle are World Champs.
That is charitably called a stretch. 3rd round QBs no matter what day they fell on have never been considered inviting controversy and the Seahawks thought they were drafting a backup QB. Matt Flynn was brought in to compete with Tarvaris Jackson.

You need an example of someone more talented the Kubiak Texans held back to substantiate your assertion.

HOU-TEX 02-17-2014 09:16 AM

Re: Center Battle
 
Jones made Newton look like an All-Pro. I'm sorry, but unless he's night and day better at C than he is G he's not the answer. I know he was a C in college, but you'd think he'd pick up the G position after a couple years.

It really sucked Q went down last year. I'm looking forward to see him rebound this camp and win a spot

welsh texan 02-17-2014 09:18 AM

Re: Center Battle
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by infantrycak (Post 2300304)
There isn't a team in the league that follows that model.



That is charitably called a stretch. 3rd round QBs no matter what day they fell on have never been considered inviting controversy and the Seahawks thought they were drafting a backup QB. Matt Flynn was brought in to compete with Tarvaris Jackson.

You need an example of someone more talented the Kubiak Texans held back to substantiate your assertion.

That is difficult given that my assertion is that we've seen players' development hindered to the point where they never reached their talent potential.

However, I believe the FO leak earlier this season about the failure to rotate players, can be construed as evidence that it is not just me who sees this as having been a problem.

Earl Mitchell didn't get enough reps behind Shaun Cody, whilst. Chris Jones went and started for New England having barely seen the field for us.

Foster was held back for 3/4 of a season behind who exactly, and then Ben Tate has been criminally under utilised to the point where we've ran Foster into the ground just because he was in 'the doghouse' during a season when he remained relatively healthy.

I've not been one to hound Kubiak, I think he moved the club to a new level over his tenure (it was definitely time to move on though), I just see this as having been a failing he had. He never trusted young players with few reps, and subsequently they never got enough reps to develop.

Your first point, yeah, you're right, it's a league wide thing, not that it necessarily makes it right. If your first round draft pick isn't ready to play week 1, don't throw him to the wolves anyway, find someone who can play and feed him in gradually.

In fact I think the NFL as a whole is roundly failing in the area of talent development, when you reach the pros, due to the salary cap and roster limitations, it's sink or swim straight away when in other sports you find lots of players who take a few years of extremely uneven play before finding their feet at the top level.

I'd love to see some kind of reserve league added for development, keep them seperate from the actual roster, play maybe 4 or 6 games a season against other reserve teams, and see how they get on, maybe be able to activate one or 2 per season to the active roster and for the rest they just have to wait till the following TC to try and battle it out. Would give more young players a chance to get better IMHO.

I always respect your opinion ICAK, but sometimes you look for a little too much "proof" considering we're discussing a game where secrecy and schadenfreude are king. It's very rare you'll get the true spin on what's going on behind the scenes in a varifiable manner. Look at some of the rubbish posted as 'news' on NFL.com and it's little more than speculation from the same outside position as we get with maybe a little more access to Chinese whispers than what we get as lay-fans.

thunderkyss 02-17-2014 09:33 AM

Re: Center Battle
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by HOU-TEX (Post 2300332)
Jones made Newton look like an All-Pro. I'm sorry, but unless he's night and day better at C than he is G he's not the answer. I know he was a C in college, but you'd think he'd pick up the G position after a couple years.

It really sucked Q went down last year. I'm looking forward to see him rebound this camp and win a spot

I thought Ben Jones did a fine job. Give him the starting job & he'll grow into it. I think it should have had the job over Wade Smith for sure. Rotating in & out of the game as a rookie I thought he did as well as Brooks. Different, but for what he did, he did well.

I'm not saying he should be a lock for the LG spot, if Ques is going to be in competition for the position, let them battle it out. But I think Q & Brennan should be battling for the RT job.

HOU-TEX 02-17-2014 09:39 AM

Re: Center Battle
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by thunderkyss (Post 2300343)
I thought Ben Jones did a fine job. Give him the starting job & he'll grow into it. I think it should have had the job over Wade Smith for sure. Rotating in & out of the game as a rookie I thought he did as well as Brooks. Different, but for what he did, he did well.

I'm not saying he should be a lock for the LG spot, if Ques is going to be in competition for the position, let them battle it out. But I think Q & Brennan should be battling for the RT job.

I'm not certain what you're seeing, man. Smith had a rough year, but Jones wasn't close to beating him out or anyone else along the oline. Saying he did just as well as Brooks is crazy. Brooks was one of the better of the bunch towards the end of the season. Playing next to Newton is what hurt him.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:15 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger