Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Well, if you don't like coach-speak . . . (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103798)

Marcus 01-15-2014 11:01 PM

Well, if you don't like coach-speak . . .

. . . you won't like Bill O'Brien for very long. Capers and Kubiak were off-the-cuff rambling chatterboxes compared to how OB will be running things. :)

Quote:

It is one month before the combine, two months before the start of free agency, three months before the 2014 schedule is released, four months before the NFL draft and six months before training camp begins, yet already new Texans coach Bill O'Brien is trying to win.

O'Brien repeatedly will remind us of a singular focus on winning the next game; that is his way. But for now, he is trying to win over the minds of the Texans. Minds that were tough enough to prevent players from turning on each other but not strong enough to figure out how to put a stop to a 31/2-month slide.

It isn't often that an NFL team enters a season talking seriously about the Super Bowl and leaves it sulking over a 14-game losing streak. In the past eight seasons, there were plenty of highs, but too often Gary Kubiak's Texans showed a startling lack of mental toughness. It is something opponents noticed, and something owner Bob McNair often questioned. To what extent that was on the head coach is up for debate, but Kubiak was fired in early December because of it.

In comes O'Brien with a new attitude and a different approach. Of course, there is more than one way to skin a Jaguar. O'Brien's way is going to be quite unlike Kubiak's. O'Brien has been on the job less than two weeks, but already you can see changes at Reliant Stadium. As NFL Network's Albert Breer was first to note, O'Brien has removed references to individual accomplishments from the building. The Texans used to have posters of players who had won individual weekly awards throughout their team meeting room. Gone. They had posters of a few players with their individual accomplishments in the locker room. Gone.

The message: Football is a team game, and team accomplishments are what will be celebrated. The "there is no I in team" message isn't a unique one - the Texans have heard that before - but O'Brien wants to ensure there is no mistaking that individual accomplishments will never supersede team goals. As best he can, and with all that he can control, everything will be about the group.

"As far as individual players, you are never going to get me to talk specific guys too much; it is always going to be the team," O'Brien said after he took over as the head coach at Penn State two years ago. That approach is similar to that of Bill Belichick, whom O'Brien worked under from 2007-11.

O'Brien has said he will be his own man, but undoubtedly he recognized some of the good things Belichick has done at New England and will implement those in Houston.

A closed-ranks methodology will mean less information will flow from Reliant Park, which has been one of the more media-friendly locales in the NFL.

A singular message, with the head coach setting the tone, also will be something new for the Texans. Whether he is discussing quarterbacks or linebackers or special-teamers who will never start, O'Brien will use the word "smart" more than any coach in the NFL, besides perhaps Belichick. It is a prerequisite for being an O'Brien-type player. That doesn't mean every player will be smart, but O'Brien will try to convince us they are.

Expect to hear players talk less and sound more like their head coach. In his media meetings thus far, O'Brien already has proved to be fluent in coachspeak, saying a lot but divulging little. Not that Kubiak was one to share secrets, but he often gave more information than needed and almost always tried to answer any question that was asked. He is a friendly sort.

O'Brien has a message to deliver and will deliver it regardless of the inquiry. He won't tell you much about his offense or defense. You'll see come game time.
Link

WolverineFan 01-16-2014 12:40 AM

Re: Well, if you don't like coach-speak . . .

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcus (Post 2286104)
. . . you won't like Bill O'Brien for very long. Capers and Kubiak were off-the-cuff rambling chatterboxes compared to how OB will be running things. :)

BoB comes from the Bill Belichick school of media handling....and it shows. Both of these guys could talk for an hour and not really let slip anything of substance.

As long as he can coach like Belichick, I could care less what he says in his press conferences.

Allstar 01-16-2014 02:40 AM

If we win, everyone will love him and the way he speaks to the media. If we lose, it'll be the opposite. Not that it's unfair, but it's the way it is.

houstonspartan 01-16-2014 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WolverineFan (Post 2286118)
BoB comes from the Bill Belichick school of media handling....and it shows. Both of these guys could talk for an hour and not really let slip anything of substance.

As long as he can coach like Belichick, I could care less what he says in his press conferences.

Yep. As long as those w's start piling up, most people won't give a s--t if he's speaking gibberish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marshall 01-16-2014 04:49 AM

Quote:

As long as he doesn't coach like Belicheat, I can go along with his charade before reporters which is required by the NFL. Long before Belicheat, the old saying that loose lips sink ships from WWII applied. I do not credit Belicheat with this concept. He simply adopted a good strategy which incorporates the older principle. I saw the same in Landry, so it wasn't new to the NFL.

ObsiWan 01-16-2014 06:32 AM

Not unexpected. In fact, I said as much a day or so ago in the "what kind of QB..." thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by ObsiWan (Post 2285549)
Remember, he's a graduate of the Bill Belichick School of CoachSpeak so I don't expect any earthshaking revelations from his pressers.
:turtle:

Not that I blame him. Why tip your hand in the press when you don't have to?

I do wonder how long he's gonna milk the "well, we're still evaluating the players.." schtick.

:D

SCOTTexans 01-16-2014 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by houstonspartan (Post 2286121)
Yep. As long as those w's start piling up, most people won't give a s--t if he's speaking gibberish.

Yep, I would rather have the game plans unpredictable then the press conference.

But when they both are S**t, thats when things get ugly...

badboy 01-16-2014 08:47 AM

Just tell me wins are because of me the fan and losses are on you the coach and I be happy, happy.

sarcasm

Double Barrel 01-16-2014 09:51 AM

Why do we want head coaches to entertain us? Who cares if he's got the media persona of a loaf of bread if he's building a winning program.

I would love for him to coach like Belichick, one of the most successful coaches in NFL history in spite of his doltish detractors.

JB 01-16-2014 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Double Barrel (Post 2286200)
Why do we want head coaches to entertain us? Who cares if he's got the media persona of a loaf of bread if he's building a winning program.

I would love for him to coach like Belichick
, one of the most successful coaches in NFL history in spite of his doltish detractors.

^^^^ this

DBCooper 01-16-2014 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marshall (Post 2286130)
As long as he doesn't coach like Belicheat, I can go along with his charade before reporters which is required by the NFL. Long before Belicheat, the old saying that loose lips sink ships from WWII applied. I do not credit Belicheat with this concept. He simply adopted a good strategy which incorporates the older principle. I saw the same in Landry, so it wasn't new to the NFL.

As long as he doesn't coach like arguably the best coach ever?

Hervoyel 01-16-2014 10:04 AM

Quote:

I would love for him to coach like Belichick, one of the most successful coaches in NFL history in spite of his doltish detractors.

Exactly. If this man produces wins I don't even care if he ever speaks to the media. Wins on Sunday are infinitely preferable to entertaining explanations for why the team sucked in a Monday press conference.

Playoffs 01-16-2014 10:13 AM

All encompassing thread imminent... :smiliepalm:

chicagotexan2 01-16-2014 10:43 AM

Quote:

That's right I don't need Rex Ryan although he had more success than our 2 HC's. I want a winning HC. I hope he's a great coach, decent person and not a scumbag like Petrino. I want a winner to lead this team.

ChampionTexan 01-16-2014 11:01 AM

Quote:

Criticisms of the press conferences and other HC's interviews are almost always examples of someone not liking the coach (maybe justifiably, maybe not), but being incapable of identifying and expressing any meaningful issues, so they go after what they can. Attacks can consist of complaining of too little information being put forth, too much information being put forth, posture, haircut, clothing, or any number of other easily targetable but meaningless characteristics.

See also: Denny's/IHOP menu.

ArlingtonTexan 01-16-2014 11:25 AM

Quote:

Belichick has a parcells streak to him in that on days he feels like talking he will go beyond what people expect as answers and give detail, thoughtful responses. Now he does not feel like it that often, but as an example here is 'hoodie" talking about special teams.

http://www.patriots.com/news/article...2-bacb3fa8b551

DX-TEX 01-16-2014 11:30 AM

The real question remains.....will he tap his ring on the podium when a question is asked?

drs23 01-16-2014 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DX-TEX (Post 2286237)
The real question remains.....will he tap his ring on the podium when a question is asked?

I'm going with no. Doesn't appear to be a tapper. He may throw you a scorn, but no taps.

Marcus 01-16-2014 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChampionTexan (Post 2286231)
Criticisms of the press conferences and other HC's interviews are almost always examples of someone not liking the coach (maybe justifiably, maybe not), but being incapable of identifying and expressing any meaningful issues, so they go after what they can. Attacks can consist of complaining of too little information being put forth, too much information being put forth, posture, haircut, clothing, or any number of other easily targetable but meaningless characteristics.

See also: Denny's/IHOP menu.

And that ...... is a good post. Rep.

Will only add that when they do lose, it will 'expected' of him to publicly throw someone under the bus, in order to make 'some' fans feel better. But any coach worth his salt will never cater to those 'expectations'. Thus, the attacks on his character.

The Pencil Neck 01-16-2014 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marshall (Post 2286130)

The thing that's new is the exposure.

Back in the day, no one paid much attention to the coach's press conferences unless they were in the playoffs. Nowadays with the 24/7 coverage of football, fans pour over every word someone says.

There were people on this board who didn't like that Kubiak was so close-mouthed and evasive about the team and strategy and injuries and whatnot. But that's the way coaches SHOULD be.