Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mock Draft Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Texanator January MOCK DRAFT (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103763)

thetexanator 01-13-2014 04:12 PM

Texanator January MOCK DRAFT
 
1.1 Teddy B.
2.1Antonio Richardson OT Tennessee
3.1Yawin Smallwood ILB Connecticut
4.1DeAnthony Thomas rb/wr/ret Oregon
5.1Charles Sims RB West Virginia
6.1Colt Lyerla TE Oregon
7.1Jordan Lynch QB NIU:fans:




no de because we resign a smith.

htownfan32 01-13-2014 06:28 PM

Re: Texanator January MOCK DRAFT
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by thetexanator (Post 2284727)
1.1 Teddy B.
2.1Antonio Richardson OT Tennessee
3.1Yawin Smallwood ILB Connecticut
4.1DeAnthony Thomas rb/wr/ret Oregon
5.1Charles Sims RB West Virginia
6.1Colt Lyerla TE Oregon
7.1Jordan Lynch QB NIU:fans:




no de because we resign a smith.

If we resign Smith, I really dig this draft. I don't know if Richardson will be available at 2-1 but if he is that's awesome. I like Colt Lyerla as a late pick because of high risk nature with high reward potential. I like Lynch as a late round pick too but I think he can be had as a UDFA. I like the Charles Sims pick from WV, not sure he will last that long but great pick regardless. DeAnthony Thomas is great as well and I'm a big fan of Yawin Smallwood.

Love it. (with Antonio signed, of course :D)

mussop 01-13-2014 07:13 PM

Re: Texanator January MOCK DRAFT
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by thetexanator (Post 2284727)
1.1 Teddy B.
2.1Antonio Richardson OT Tennessee
3.1Yawin Smallwood ILB Connecticut
4.1DeAnthony Thomas rb/wr/ret Oregon
5.1Charles Sims RB West Virginia
6.1Colt Lyerla TE Oregon
7.1Jordan Lynch QB NIU:fans:




no de because we resign a smith.

You know I kinds wrote off Thomas early thinking his size makes him a bad fit in most offenses. Now that we have BOB I need to re access that. Man would be look good in the slot.

By the way great work.

Corrosion 01-13-2014 08:01 PM

Re: Texanator January MOCK DRAFT
 
First two picks are great .... I could live with Teddy and I'm high on Richardson but it goes to hell in a bucket after that (I could actually live with Smallwood depending upon how things fell).

beerlover 01-14-2014 09:21 AM

Re: Texanator January MOCK DRAFT
 
I like it. DeAnthony is in the mold of DeSean Jackson. Maybe Chip doesn't play with DJ & his continued contract demands & move forward with another one of his own players? He can return kicks, fill in the slot & add a new dimension to running game.

bah007 01-14-2014 12:12 PM

Re: Texanator January MOCK DRAFT
 
Two of my Oregon buddies told me that the reason DAT is entering the draft early is because he wants to be a between the tackles running back and the Oregon coaches are trying to get him into even more of a hybrid role than he was playing before. The Oregon coaches envision him as a slot WR who occasionally would come into the backfield and carry the ball. He envisions himself as a RB who only occasionally would split out wide.

Take that for what it's worth. These guys aren't connected to the program, just fans. But they both really like Thomas so I don't think they would make something like that up.

Maybe he opens up to the idea in the pros but from what I've heard it sounds like he is reluctant to move outside.

beerlover 01-14-2014 01:04 PM

Re: Texanator January MOCK DRAFT
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bah007 (Post 2285240)
Two of my Oregon buddies told me that the reason DAT is entering the draft early is because he wants to be a between the tackles running back and the Oregon coaches are trying to get him into even more of a hybrid role than he was playing before. The Oregon coaches envision him as a slot WR who occasionally would come into the backfield and carry the ball. He envisions himself as a RB who only occasionally would split out wide.

Take that for what it's worth. These guys aren't connected to the program, just fans. But they both really like Thomas so I don't think they would make something like that up.

Maybe he opens up to the idea in the pros but from what I've heard it sounds like he is reluctant to move outside.


That's fair & perfectly believable. I wasn't going to bring this up because you know how comparisons can go, but he is very similar to Chris Johnson coming out. Maybe it was you? But remember some saying he could run between the tackles & he could.

When DeAnthony runs his 4.24 combine forty this whole 4th rd projection will be a pipe dream. He hurt his ankle first play on a return in the most unbelievable monsoon, in Eugene I ever saw. I would be pissed @ his coaches for that move (exposing him to unessecary risk) than anything else.

bah007 01-14-2014 01:14 PM

Re: Texanator January MOCK DRAFT
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by beerlover (Post 2285278)
That's fair & perfectly believable. I wasn't going to bring this up because you know how comparisons can go, but he is very similar to Chris Johnson coming out. Maybe it was you? But remember some saying he could run between the tackles & he could.

When DeAnthony runs his 4.24 combine forty this whole 4th rd projection will be a pipe dream. He hurt his ankle first play on a return in the most unbelievable monsoon, in Eugene I ever saw. I would be pissed @ his coaches for that move (exposing him to unessecary risk) than anything else.

I liked Chris Johnson a whole lot when he was coming out. It may have been me. A lot of people just looked at him as an athlete on offense, but I saw a running back.

Thomas reminds me a lot of Dante Hall when he was coming out of A&M.

WolverineFan 01-14-2014 01:30 PM

Re: Texanator January MOCK DRAFT
 
I don't think Thomas is a RB at all. He's as much a RB as Dexter McCluster is. That's actually who I compare him to. He's the athletically superior version of McCluster. Jack of all trades player who returns kicks, plays slot WR, runs the ball on jet sweeps, and occasionally lines up in the backfield to catch a screen or swing pass or run a draw.

Wolf6151 01-14-2014 02:57 PM

Re: Texanator January MOCK DRAFT
 
I like the first 3 picks, though I'm iffy on Richardsons ability to shuffle his feet well at his weight hopefully he loses some. I'm not familiar with 4,5, and 7, and Lyerla is questionable with this franchise, depends on if he can stay clean. Lyerla is a low risk high reward pick, so I like it, just wonder if Bob will.

bhsman 01-14-2014 06:34 PM

Re: Texanator January MOCK DRAFT
 
How does he compare to a guy like Danny Woodhead? I could see Thomas being used in that similar Swiss army knife kind of weapon.

beerlover 01-14-2014 07:26 PM

Re: Texanator January MOCK DRAFT
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhsman (Post 2285450)
How does he compare to a guy like Danny Woodhead? I could see Thomas being used in that similar Swiss army knife kind of weapon.

Much quicker in & out of breaks, faster by quite a bit, stronger, each have good hands & both willing blockers. Thomas is the electric version of Woodhead. But much like CJ he wants to be given bell cow carries as a RB, regardless of the fact he can return & catch too!

thetexanator 01-14-2014 07:59 PM

Re: Texanator January MOCK DRAFT
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by beerlover (Post 2285278)
That's fair & perfectly believable. I wasn't going to bring this up because you know how comparisons can go, but he is very similar to Chris Johnson coming out. Maybe it was you? But remember some saying he could run between the tackles & he could.

When DeAnthony runs his 4.24 combine forty this whole 4th rd projection will be a pipe dream. He hurt his ankle first play on a return in the most unbelievable monsoon, in Eugene I ever saw. I would be pissed @ his coaches for that move (exposing him to unessecary risk) than anything else.

if i remember correctly johnson tore it up his last year at ecu as the main rb. then the combine just blew people away. he was more of a workhorse than deanthony.

i like the comparison to dexter mccluster but i think hes better. not as good as tavon austin. reminds me of a mini percy harvin coming out florida. super explosive but not a ton of production at oregon, but the talent is there.

The1ApplePie 01-14-2014 08:03 PM

Re: Texanator January MOCK DRAFT
 
Nice draft, love the Thomas pick. He would be worth it for the return game alone.

leebigeztx 01-15-2014 02:05 AM

Re: Texanator January MOCK DRAFT
 
Yeah, DAT and McCluster seem to be clones. Coach has to have an appetite for guys like that. You don't want to overwork those smallish guys.

badboy 01-15-2014 01:37 PM

Re: Texanator January MOCK DRAFT
 
no nose?

steelbtexan 01-15-2014 09:43 PM

Re: Texanator January MOCK DRAFT
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bah007 (Post 2285282)
I liked Chris Johnson a whole lot when he was coming out. It may have been me. A lot of people just looked at him as an athlete on offense, but I saw a running back.

Thomas reminds me a lot of Dante Hall when he was coming out of A&M.

I watched Chris Johnson tear up UH in person and he ran hard between the tackles. He doesn't do that as much anymore since he got paid. He's still a homerun threat though.

infantrycak 01-15-2014 09:52 PM

Re: Texanator January MOCK DRAFT
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by steelbtexan (Post 2286067)
I watched Chris Johnson tear up UH in person and he ran hard between the tackles. He doesn't do that as much anymore since he got paid. He's still a homerun threat though.

We'll see. He sure wasn't much of a threat last season. 5 runs over 20 and 0 over 40.

Will be interesting to see where he plays and his role next year.

thetexanator 01-16-2014 07:20 PM

Re: Texanator January MOCK DRAFT
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by badboy (Post 2285864)
no nose?

starting caliber nose would have to come in the 2nd. nose wasnt as horrible as our rt situation. can still get good value at ilb with the 3rd rd and much less likely to get a good nose in the 3rd.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:26 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger