Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Ideal Scenarios (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103747)

Number19 01-11-2014 02:38 PM

Ideal Scenarios
 
One question going around the board is: do we draft a QB with our top pick or do we trade down, picking up a QB lower in the draft, in rounds two or three? I offer the suggestion that we wait until 2015 to pick up our QB of the future. With this as a possibility, here is one "Ideal Scenario".


1) Hire Mike Munchak as OL coach. From what I've read, Munchak has a reputation of coaching up his players to perform beyond expectations and abilities. Taking this into account; and keeping Myers, Brooks, Brown, Quessenberry and Williams as a core, we can go into the draft with an eye toward drafting one player with a high pick.

2) For BoB to spend many sleepless nights analyzing Keenum and Yates and finding enough that he thinks, with a full off season, he can work with what the team already has. In making this decision, what must be evaluated is whether a QB drafted in the mid-rounds is much of an improvement over these two. If he doesn't much like what he sees, that means, of course, we must address the position higher in the draft.

3) For a trade with Cleveland to materialize and we end up with another first this year and a first next year.

4) For two of the three premium QB's, and Clowney, to be taken in the first three picks; and for a team at the bottom of the top 10 to give up a second for pick #4.

5) We end up with two #1's and two high #2's this year and an extra #1 next year.

6) With these four picks, we pick up our OL'man and three defensive players.

7) After training camp, if not earlier, we pick up a veteran QB, no more than a two year contract. Our expectations for the season is to win 6-8 games with either Keenum or Yates at QB ( or the veteran ), which should be possible with our weak schedule. Using this draft to upgrade the overall talent on defense and offense, BoB now has a full year to evaluate Case and TJ within his offense and, if then necessary, using our two, first round, picks in 2015 to draft our QB.

In my mind, the key to this scenario is whether Case, or TJ, bring as much to the table as any possibility in the mid-rounds of this year's draft. TJ is your larger, pocket passer and Case is your spread offense smaller, running QB. Both are young QB's without much playing time; and the playing time they do have was under difficult mid-season changes. So the decision facing BoB is first, do we take a QB with 1-1; and if we decide not to, how to then evaluate Case and TJ against the other possibilities. The only way to make this decision is film room time - lots of film room time.

Texanmike02 01-11-2014 03:06 PM

Re: Ideal Scenarios
 
Neither QB is capable of starting and winning more than they lose. At some point in the future they may be but not now and neither of them have a high ceiling. Coming into last season case was an unknown. Now he is a known. If we are rebuilding and looking for a warm body for a year fine but this team has playoff aspirations. If any QB on our roster is our starter next year it is a disaster.

Mike

infantrycak 01-11-2014 03:09 PM

Re: Ideal Scenarios
 
Not directed at you, but as a springboard:

Can we please eliminate all the Bob stuff? It's confusing having it all over the MB about both the coach and owner with umpteen different spellings to boot.

To illustrate - BoB FYI was steelb's slam at McNair for being cheap.

Playoffs 01-11-2014 03:13 PM

Re: Ideal Scenarios
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Number19 (Post 2283842)
5) We end up with two #1's and two high #2's this year and an extra #1 next year.

Yeah, that would approach what I'd pretty much call ideal... :ahhaha:

Thorn 01-11-2014 03:18 PM

Re: Ideal Scenarios
 
My ideal scenario is at hand. Next football season I'll be retired and watching at my leisure. No more b!tching about late night games (like we'll have any) because they won't matter.

152 days and counting beyoutches. :lol:

kingtexan 01-11-2014 03:46 PM

Re: Ideal Scenarios
 
Ideal scenario ... this was all just a dream and Matt never came back from the Lis Franc ...

revan 01-11-2014 04:00 PM

Re: Ideal Scenarios
 
Ideal scenario- we will never see anything Denver related in Houston ever again!!! Can I get a high five?!

Allstar 01-11-2014 04:12 PM

Re: Ideal Scenarios
 
We draft Teddy, he becomes an elite QB a la Rodgers and thus become contenders for over a decade.

Marshall 01-11-2014 04:18 PM

Re: Ideal Scenarios
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Texanmike02 (Post 2283856)
Neither QB is capable of starting and winning more than they lose. At some point in the future they may be but not now and neither of them have a high ceiling. Coming into last season case was an unknown. Now he is a known. If we are rebuilding and looking for a warm body for a year fine but this team has playoff aspirations. If any QB on our roster is our starter next year it is a disaster.

Mike

Yep. The young guns should be able to win without help, right? They can pass the ball, catch the ball, and run away from the sieve which was our oline. I gotcha. No help required.

Marshall 01-11-2014 04:22 PM

Re: Ideal Scenarios
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by infantrycak (Post 2283860)
Not directed at you, but as a springboard:

Can we please eliminate all the Bob stuff? It's confusing having it all over the MB about both the coach and owner with umpteen different spellings to boot.

To illustrate - BoB FYI was steelb's slam at McNair for being cheap.

But BO would be confusing with an OBAMANATION with the same initials.

BM isn't really a good thing to call our owner unless he starts wearing Jersey number 2.

I'll go along with BOB for the coach and Bob for the owner. Fair enough?

revan 01-11-2014 04:23 PM

Re: Ideal Scenarios
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marshall (Post 2283914)
But BO would be confusing with an OBAMANATION with the same initials.

BM isn't really a good thing to call our owner unless he starts wearing Jersey number 2.

I'll go along with BOB for the coach and Bob for the owner. Fair enough?

Marshall!!!! You made the switch to Texans Talk too?!.

Marshall 01-11-2014 04:26 PM

Re: Ideal Scenarios
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by revan (Post 2283916)
Marshall!!!! You made the switch to Texans Talk too?!.

I wasn't given a choice after the Mods went on a hissy fit.

Number19 01-11-2014 04:29 PM

Re: Ideal Scenarios
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Texanmike02 (Post 2283856)
...this team has playoff aspirations...
Mike

IMO, you are wrong. Next year's team isn't even assembled yet, so it is flat out impossible for "it" to have any kind of expectations. Now, if you mean "you" have playoff aspirations for the team next season, IMO, you are setting yourself up for a huge disappointment. Of course, you may be speaking only in hypotheticals, in which case all 32 teams have playoff aspirations. But realistically, significant improvement is what should be expected, or as I previously stated, 6 to 8 wins. We may do better, but, as fans, it should not be realistically expected. And I also think that O'Brian, and his future staff, will be much more qualified to determine what he can accomplish with T.J. and Case.

If we use the 1-1 on a QB, I have no doubts that this player will perform at a higher level than either Keenum or Yates. But I wouldn't bet the farm that this would hold true for a player selected in the mid-rounds.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Playoffs (Post 2283863)
Yeah, that would approach what I'd pretty much call ideal... :ahhaha:

Although realistically the chance of the two trade down is unlikely to happen, it is not at all uncommon. If we can get that first trade with Cleveland, I'd definitely be looking for that second trade to move a few spots lower in exchange for another two. If we trade the 1-1, to get value, we absolutely will get at a minimum a one and a two. A one next year, in trade value, is counted as a two this year, so an extra one this year and a one next year is value for value. Trading from #4 to #9 is worth a two; so that is how I arrived at my picks. Really, if the cards fell right, not that hard to see happening.

The only real question mark is how O'Brian evaluates Keenum and Yates. My personal opinion is that Keenum has the higher chance of sticking with the team. But Kubiak saw something to draft TJ in the 5th, so maybe a new coach and a new system would give TJ a new chance.

revan 01-11-2014 04:32 PM

Re: Ideal Scenarios
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marshall (Post 2283918)
I wasn't given a choice after the Mods went on a hissy fit.

I got an infraction for talking smack about the Colts. I guess we should all love other teams especially our rivals.

Playoffs 01-11-2014 04:39 PM

Re: Ideal Scenarios
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by infantrycak (Post 2283860)
Can we please eliminate all the Bob stuff? It's confusing having it all over the MB about both the coach and owner with umpteen different spellings to boot.

Agree.

O'Brien's nickname has been OB (O'Bie) or Billy. OB is shortest/easiest for me.

ArlingtonTexan 01-11-2014 04:43 PM

Re: Ideal Scenarios
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Playoffs (Post 2283930)
Agree.

O'Brien's nickname has been OB (O'Bie) or Billy. OB is shortest/easiest for me.

I wished I lived in a world where seven keystrokes were not considered needing a shorter version.

Number19 01-11-2014 05:02 PM

Re: Ideal Scenarios
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Allstar (Post 2283906)
We draft Teddy, he becomes an elite QB a la Rodgers and thus become contenders for over a decade.

Fair answer and in agreement with many. But what are your expectations, under this scenario, for the defense. You do agree that to be contenders we do need a fairly good defense? We have one, maybe two holes to address on offense, which you've addressed. But we have as many as 6 or 8 holes to address on defense. What's your answer to this?

PHILLYTEXANFAN 01-11-2014 05:08 PM

Re: Ideal Scenarios
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by revan (Post 2283924)
I got an infraction for talking smack about the Colts. I guess we should all love other teams especially our rivals.

Land of misfit Posters here. I left there after they banned Texian for expressing his opinion, and maybe some other things. Havent gone back since, not even to " check things out"

badboy 01-11-2014 05:10 PM

Re: Ideal Scenarios
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Number19 (Post 2283921)
IMO, you are wrong. Next year's team isn't even assembled yet, so it is flat out impossible for "it" to have any kind of expectations. Now, if you mean "you" have playoff aspirations for the team next season, IMO, you are setting yourself up for a huge disappointment. Of course, you may be speaking only in hypotheticals, in which case all 32 teams have playoff aspirations. But realistically, significant improvement is what should be expected, or as I previously stated, 6 to 8 wins. We may do better, but, as fans, it should not be realistically expected. And I also think that O'Brian, and his future staff, will be much more qualified to determine what he can accomplish with T.J. and Case.

If we use the 1-1 on a QB, I have no doubts that this player will perform at a higher level than either Keenum or Yates. But I wouldn't bet the farm that this would hold true for a player selected in the mid-rounds.
Although realistically the chance of the two trade down is unlikely to happen, it is not at all uncommon. If we can get that first trade with Cleveland, I'd definitely be looking for that second trade to move a few spots lower in exchange for another two. If we trade the 1-1, to get value, we absolutely will get at a minimum a one and a two. A one next year, in trade value, is counted as a two this year, so an extra one this year and a one next year is value for value. Trading from #4 to #9 is worth a two; so that is how I arrived at my picks. Really, if the cards fell right, not that hard to see happening.

The only real question mark is how O'Brian evaluates Keenum and Yates. My personal opinion is that Keenum has the higher chance of sticking with the team. But Kubiak saw something to draft TJ in the 5th, so maybe a new coach and a new system would give TJ a new chance.

You might be interested in my mock draft in that forum presented as BADBOY's January mock. I have been talking about a trade with Browns for some time and offer a second trade also. Appreciate the thought you put into your thread POV.

Marshall 01-11-2014 05:18 PM

Re: Ideal Scenarios
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by PHILLYTEXANFAN (Post 2283940)
Land of misfit Posters here. I left there after they banned Texian for expressing his opinion, and maybe some other things. Havent gone back since, not even to " check things out"

The other board has become intellectually incestuous about what can and cannot be the belief of it's posters. God cannot be mentioned, even in passing. But drunkenness and debauchery is promoted ceaselessly.

If you have a political opinion, it better be progressive or your toast.

I actually prefer this board. The other was just convenient with links from NFL.com.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:39 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger