Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Does Anybody still BELIEVE in Case Keenum? (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103705)

Lord Bills 01-07-2014 04:12 PM

Does Anybody still BELIEVE in Case Keenum?

Does anybody still think he can be a successful NFL qb? Or did his play and inability to win a game for a 2-14 team enough evidence to know that that he is no good? Or do you think he still has a chance to be successful with a proper head coach and a proper team?

My personal opinion is that Keenum was placed in a bad situation with a lame duck coach, with a flawed offensive philosophy, and a bad team saddled with injuries on both sides of the ball.

I want to see what he can do with a full off season and a new coaching staff.

JCTexan 01-07-2014 04:25 PM

Re: Does Anybody still BELIEVE in Case Keenum?

I'm playing with your choice of words. Can Keenum be successful? Yes, but I don't think he will be successful. And that's why I think QB is the biggest need for the Texans.

Hervoyel 01-07-2014 04:28 PM

I'm unsure but I think it's unlikely and more important than that I think that the window for learning whether he could ever be that guy is closed. Did he get a fair shot? Probably not but in the NFL almost no one ever gets to walk into a perfectly optimal situation. Everyone else makes do with the chance they've been given.

Nobody has time to wait for Case to develop some more. If he isn't just outright released and makes it into OTA's he'd better impress the hell out of BOB. If he does that then he'd better learn that offense inside and out before again impressing him in camp and preseason. Even then it will all more than likely be for nothing because BOB's going to bring in a starter either through the draft or free agency (and maybe both).

There should be a fourth option in the poll. "It doesn't really matter anymore".

2012Champs 01-07-2014 04:35 PM

well if he would have won at all the team wouldnt have been a 2-14 team

The1ApplePie 01-07-2014 04:36 PM

No.

Can we just admit that the dwindling lovefest would not exist if he was an UDFA from UCONN or Boston College that lost all of his starts?

Playoffs 01-07-2014 04:44 PM

Fun with numbers... :kitten:

Dave Zangaro ‏@DZangaro
Quote:

Case Keenum is the 2nd player in NFL history to lose 200+ yards on fewer than 20 sacks. Ken Stabler did it twice in the 70s. #Texans

Keenum was sacked 19 times for 201 yards (10.58). By comparison, Schaub was sacked 21 times for 162 yards (7.7). #Texans

If Case Keenum never starts an NFL game again, he'll go down as the only player since the merger to throw for 1,700+ yards without a win.

Yaky 01-07-2014 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The1ApplePie (Post 2281656)
No.

Can we just admit that the dwindling lovefest would not exist if he was an UDFA from UCONN or Boston College that lost all of his starts?

Nick Foles was 1-6 last year. Keenum put up 31 points against the Patriots, should have been enough to get the W.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/...-keenum-1.html

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/...gewater-1.html

EllisUnit 01-07-2014 04:50 PM

I would like to see what he can do with foster and OD in the line up, and a compitent staff who will let the boy play his style of football instead of trying to turn him into Schaub 2.0. And people can say what they want but before the coaching staff got in his head about staying in the pocket, he was leaving the pocket and making things happen down field. Defenses can adjust all they want but that isnt the reason he began struggling.

Yes i still have faith keenum could be an above average QB. If not here he will do it some where.

HOU-TEX 01-07-2014 04:51 PM

No

Odds are he'll be cut this offseason anyway.

Dutchrudder 01-07-2014 04:53 PM

I think he will be a successful backup in the NFL.

ThaShark316 01-07-2014 04:54 PM

"ehh" arm, happy feet, can't read defenses...

I believe in him on Madden NFL 25.

ATXtexanfan 01-07-2014 05:02 PM

Case is a back up

76Texan 01-07-2014 05:04 PM

First of all, there's a need to define "successful".

A guy who can often carry a team with timely helps from the D and ST, most probably not: the odd of winning a lottery.

A guy who can occasionally carry a team; not sure.
Heck, even Eli Manning did pretty much niata this year; nor did Matt Ryan.

A guy who can be an above average QB (see Schaub in his good and pretty good years.) Not sure. After all, it took Schaub many years to even get there.

A below average QB (17th- 25th).
Don't know either, but quite possible.

A stinky QB. Maybe, but not likely.

A solid back-up QB; highly likely, but he needs to stay upright first.

Basically, not sure.
The odds are stacked against him, like Herv or some others who had stated similar thoughts before.

Thorn 01-07-2014 05:07 PM

Not sure.

I don't think the circumstances were really right for any QB. Not a good line, no running game. Whatever. He lost a lot, but showed some promise. I voted not sure because you just can never tell.

The Pencil Neck 01-07-2014 05:20 PM

Lots of guys start off shaky and end up pretty good. I don't know if Case has what it takes.

So... I'm not sure.

PapaL 01-07-2014 05:36 PM

He'll successful when he launches his car wash business in Houston. Rainbows would be a good name for it as it's the only passes he was able to complete.

76Texan 01-07-2014 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PapaL (Post 2281693)
He'll successful when he launches his car wash business in Houston. Rainbows would be a good name for it as it's the only passes he was able to complete.

Haha, that's a good joke.

kiwitexansfan 01-07-2014 05:47 PM

Questionable pocket presense (happy feet), questionable short/medium accuracy.

Put NO.

Pity, would of been a nice underdog story and I did appreciate his long ball.

Lord Bills 01-07-2014 05:50 PM

obrien is gonna run spread offense right? i think keenum with improvement and learning from his experience has a shot in the nfl. his talent is pretty evident in a lot of throws and plays he makes.

i find it hard to believe a guy who put up such staggering numbers in college who basically ran no huddle spread offense cant read a blitz or a defense.

It was kubiak who couldnt read a defense. Schaub had the same problem even before keenum was a texan. the half time struggles that keenum had was a glaring complaint by texan fans about this team way before keenum was a texan.

Experience is the best teacher and keenum certainly got that this year. People forget he was the 3rd string and was thrust into the starting line up because of schaub and yates suckage.

People gave schaub 7 years and a pro bowl laden team. People dont have patience anymore. EVerything is labeled a bust, loser, or winner right away.

Everything is so definitive nowadays.

Sigma 01-07-2014 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCTexan (Post 2281648)
I'm playing with your choice of words. Can Keenum be successful? Yes, but I don't think he will be successful. And that's why I think QB is the biggest need for the Texans.

this