Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mock Draft Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Badboy's January 2014 mock (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103691)

badboy 01-06-2014 05:59 PM

Badboy's January 2014 mock
 
I did not expect to produce another mock a month after the last but so much has happened. This is predicated on Crennel being DC and involves two trades yet very different than the last one. Research reveals the following trades are doable and quite possible.

Trade #1 Texans recieve Browns #4 and #27 (may adjust based on Colts) in first plus their two third round selections. Brown get the best QB on board in Bridgewater; note I did not say franchise though he might be for that team.

Trade #2 Minnesota gets #4 & Texans get #8 and #40 + first & 2nd round 2015.

1. Browns TB 2. SF Clowney 3. Jags hometown boy Bortles 4. Vikings Manziel or just maybe Mosley due to their LB needs 5. Oakland gets stuck with local Derek Carr or if Texans are lucky enter a bidding war for our #4.

Texans:

1a. #8 WR Sammy Watkins 6'1" 205 said after 2012 he would beat all of Hopkins' record then did so. Better athlete & can play all over.

1b DE Stephon Tuitt 6'5" 310 replaces Ninja in new system

2a OL Cyril Richardson 6'5" 340 replaces Wade Smith LG game one but did start LT for RG3 last season, if all else fails move to RT & Quess is LG.
2b. LB Shayne Skov 6'2" 245 great intellect.

3a. QB Mettenberger 6'5" 235
3b. RB Carlos Hyde 6' 235 208/1521 7.3 avg Receiving 16/147 9.2
3c QB Tajh Boyd 6'1"225 3851 68.5% 9.3 avg 34 TDs 11INTs equal 2012

4. RT JuWuan James if gone second choice Morgan Moses.

5a. DT Ryan Carrethers 6'1" 330 87 T 8 for loss 4 sacks
5b Comp DE Taylor Hart 6'6" 287

6a LB Andrew Jackson 6 257 pure power tackling MLB (AJ/Skov/Cush)

7. CB Phillip Gaines 6' 185 36 T 4 INTs a steal if still here.

Note I think Manning and Joseph will be back or if Manning cut a FA wil be signed for less cash to replace him.

mussop 01-06-2014 08:19 PM

Re: Badboy's January 2014 mock
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by badboy (Post 2281023)
I did not expect to produce another mock a month after the last but so much has happened. This is predicated on Crennel being DC and involves two trades yet very different than the last one. Research reveals the following trades are doable and quite possible.

Trade #1 Texans recieve Browns #4 and #27 (may adjust based on Colts) in first plus their two third round selections. Brown get the best QB on board in Bridgewater; note I did not say franchise though he might be for that team.

Trade #2 Minnesota gets #4 & Texans get #8 and #40 + first & 2nd round 2015.

1. Browns TB 2. SF Clowney 3. Jags hometown boy Bortles 4. Vikings Manziel or just maybe Mosley due to their LB needs 5. Oakland gets stuck with local Derek Carr or if Texans are lucky enter a bidding war for our #4.

Texans:

1a. #8 WR Sammy Watkins 6'1" 205 said after 2012 he would beat all of Hopkins' record then did so. Better athlete & can play all over.

1b DE Stephon Tuitt 6'5" 310 replaces Ninja in new system

2a OL Cyril Richardson 6'5" 340 replaces Wade Smith LG game one but did start LT for RG3 last season, if all else fails move to RT & Quess is LG.
2b. LB Shayne Skov 6'2" 245 great intellect.

3a. QB Mettenberger 6'5" 235
3b. RB Carlos Hyde 6' 235 208/1521 7.3 avg Receiving 16/147 9.2
3c QB Tajh Boyd 6'1"225 3851 68.5% 9.3 avg 34 TDs 11INTs equal 2012

4. RT JuWuan James if gone second choice Morgan Moses.

5a. DT Ryan Carrethers 6'1" 330 87 T 8 for loss 4 sacks
5b Comp DE Taylor Hart 6'6" 287

6a LB Andrew Jackson 6 257 pure power tackling MLB (AJ/Skov/Cush)

7. CB Phillip Gaines 6' 185 36 T 4 INTs a steal if still here.

Note I think Manning and Joseph will be back or if Manning cut a FA wil be signed for less cash to replace him.

Would love it if we could pull it off. Every single player is on my board. Hart, Jackson, Skov, Richardson and Tuitt are all on the mock I am working on.

leebigeztx 01-06-2014 10:45 PM

Re: Badboy's January 2014 mock
 
Why would browns give up that 27 to move 3 spots when they can stand pat and take a qb at 4 or 27? If the browns wanted to move to get tb because they think he's a franchise qb,why would the texans move? Don't they need a franchise qb?

Brisco_County 01-07-2014 12:38 AM

O'Brien will want another TE. Three on his roster isn't going to cut it.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

kiwitexansfan 01-07-2014 12:57 AM

Re: Badboy's January 2014 mock
 
I really struggle with trades in mock drafts. Mock drafts are pure speculation, then you add an extra layer of speculation with trades.

Assuming these trades happened I'd be pretty disappointed with a WR, probably the deepest position on our roster. If he is so otherworldly, he won't be there at 8, I've seen speculation if the Rams keep Bradford they might take Watkins at 2.

bhsman 01-07-2014 01:46 AM

Re: Badboy's January 2014 mock
 
Why pick up Mettenberger and Boyd in the third?

Wolf6151 01-07-2014 02:40 AM

Re: Badboy's January 2014 mock
 
I have to agree with kiwi, I'm not big on trades in mock drafts, though I do like the idea of somehow finding extra 2nd and 3rd round picks. There are lots of players in the 2nd and 3rd rounds that I really like and only getting 2 of them sucks. I do like your players chosen though with the exception of 6a, I don't think Jackson fits a 3-4 defense at all and I don't see him ever being anything more than roster depth. I think Jackson fits better as a 4-3 MLB that purely stuffs the run.

Marshall 01-07-2014 02:48 AM

Re: Badboy's January 2014 mock
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by leebigeztx (Post 2281263)
Why would browns give up that 27 to move 3 spots when they can stand pat and take a qb at 4 or 27? If the browns wanted to move to get tb because they think he's a franchise qb,why would the texans move? Don't they need a franchise qb?

Because the two different teams might think differently about whether TB is a Franchise QB? This is not a matter of universal evaluation of players, it is about exploiting the differences in those evaluations.

leebigeztx 01-07-2014 03:02 AM

Re: Badboy's January 2014 mock
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marshall (Post 2281329)
Because the two different teams might think differently about whether TB is a Franchise QB? This is not a matter of universal evaluation of players, it is about exploiting the differences in those evaluations.


So let me ask, the rams got 2 1st rd picks and a 2nd for rg3,but do you think they're any closer to the playoffs? We know that rg3 led his team with a piss poor defense to the playoffs. Meanwhile bradford,quick,austin and the #2 pick this has done ?

kiwitexansfan 01-07-2014 05:32 PM

Re: Badboy's January 2014 mock
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by leebigeztx (Post 2281334)
So let me ask, the rams got 2 1st rd picks and a 2nd for rg3,but do you think they're any closer to the playoffs? We know that rg3 led his team with a piss poor defense to the playoffs. Meanwhile bradford,quick,austin and the #2 pick this has done ?

In saying that NFC West vs NFC East.

Rams would quite probably win the East in a canter.

aussie_texan 01-07-2014 06:32 PM

Re: Badboy's January 2014 mock
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan (Post 2281311)
I really struggle with trades in mock drafts. Mock drafts are pure speculation, then you add an extra layer of speculation with trades.

Assuming these trades happened I'd be pretty disappointed with a WR, probably the deepest position on our roster. If he is so otherworldly, he won't be there at 8, I've seen speculation if the Rams keep Bradford they might take Watkins at 2.

i have to agree with both points.

I would much rather address the TE position in a trade down with the 1b pick and take either mosley or nix with the 1a. But thats just my opinion through my evaluation of the roster.

Other than this, you definitely hit on Richardson, Skov (although i am worried about having to 'Backers with ACL reconstructions), Hyde (one of my 2 favourite backs) and Carrethers.

Easily be able to find 4 if not 5 starters from this draft.

Apart from the above quote, nice work

Fred 01-07-2014 10:18 PM

Re: Badboy's January 2014 mock
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhsman (Post 2281317)
Why pick up Mettenberger and Boyd in the third?

Cutting Schaub AND Yates. M and B can battle it out to be 2nd string behind Keenum. I prefer to draft someone who could beat out Keenum (stay at 1.01 and take Bridgewater) versus WR. But I'm just a fan, I prefer winning. Draftniks prefer maximizing value.

badboy 01-08-2014 02:13 PM

Re: Badboy's January 2014 mock
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by leebigeztx (Post 2281263)
Why would browns give up that 27 to move 3 spots when they can stand pat and take a qb at 4 or 27? If the browns wanted to move to get tb because they think he's a franchise qb,why would the texans move? Don't they need a franchise qb?

Refer back to the evaluations concerning Mario, Vince and the running back. Just because you think so & so is franchise does not mean someone else will. Same could be said about vet QBs that have a downturn; some coach thinks he can resurrect the vet's career. Browns wanted RG3 very much only to see him go to Washington. Pressure increases.

Will shock some here but Texans do not have to have a F. Qb just a very good one. Big difference in rosters of these two teams.

badboy 01-08-2014 02:19 PM

Re: Badboy's January 2014 mock
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan (Post 2281311)
I really struggle with trades in mock drafts. Mock drafts are pure speculation, then you add an extra layer of speculation with trades.

Assuming these trades happened I'd be pretty disappointed with a WR, probably the deepest position on our roster. If he is so otherworldly, he won't be there at 8, I've seen speculation if the Rams keep Bradford they might take Watkins at 2.

if you do not want to speculate go to NZF lol..wait that is a lot of speculating there also. Watkins is one of two best WRs but on my board will be there at #8. Other than Johnson and Hopkins what is the known commodity? Basically potential. You give Boyd two of his college WRs that are extremely good + AJ...

badboy 01-08-2014 02:31 PM

Re: Badboy's January 2014 mock
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhsman (Post 2281317)
Why pick up Mettenberger and Boyd in the third?

texans should roll with 3 QB and I see Yates and Schaub gone by game one. Mettenberger when healthy should be tremendous but imo needs to sit at least a year. Boyd has everything but height & should do well against Keenum who will be in his last contract year. One of these start, other backs up while Mette learns and heals. Perfect scenario with three reasonable deals.

badboy 01-08-2014 02:34 PM

Re: Badboy's January 2014 mock
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolf6151 (Post 2281326)
I have to agree with kiwi, I'm not big on trades in mock drafts, though I do like the idea of somehow finding extra 2nd and 3rd round picks. There are lots of players in the 2nd and 3rd rounds that I really like and only getting 2 of them sucks. I do like your players chosen though with the exception of 6a, I don't think Jackson fits a 3-4 defense at all and I don't see him ever being anything more than roster depth. I think Jackson fits better as a 4-3 MLB that purely stuffs the run.

So a 6th round adding depth to roster is not needed on this team? :kitten:

badboy 01-08-2014 02:36 PM

Re: Badboy's January 2014 mock
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by leebigeztx (Post 2281334)
So let me ask, the rams got 2 1st rd picks and a 2nd for rg3,but do you think they're any closer to the playoffs? We know that rg3 led his team with a piss poor defense to the playoffs. Meanwhile bradford,quick,austin and the #2 pick this has done ?

Rather than questioning that trade, I'd question players chosen, coaching, etc.

badboy 01-08-2014 02:38 PM

Re: Badboy's January 2014 mock
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by aussie_texan (Post 2281721)
i have to agree with both points.

I would much rather address the TE position in a trade down with the 1b pick and take either mosley or nix with the 1a. But thats just my opinion through my evaluation of the roster.

Other than this, you definitely hit on Richardson, Skov (although i am worried about having to 'Backers with ACL reconstructions), Hyde (one of my 2 favourite backs) and Carrethers.

Easily be able to find 4 if not 5 starters from this draft.

Apart from the above quote, nice work

Thanks! I think Graham will be re-signed giving us two good TEs and probably at least one UDFA and with savings from OD a vet FA to work with.

badboy 01-08-2014 02:42 PM

Re: Badboy's January 2014 mock
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred (Post 2281836)
Cutting Schaub AND Yates. M and B can battle it out to be 2nd string behind Keenum. I prefer to draft someone who could beat out Keenum (stay at 1.01 and take Bridgewater) versus WR. But I'm just a fan, I prefer winning. Draftniks prefer maximizing value.

or the draftnik (me) does not value TB as do you. Research just this MB concerning Mettenberger prior to injury and many thought he was a first round. Although slow plodding feet, behind my Oline he will be a fine pocket passer. Strong arm and 6'5". May not need a season to heal and adjust making him even more valuable. Based on medical reports he might climb into second.

Wolf6151 01-08-2014 03:57 PM

Re: Badboy's January 2014 mock
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by badboy (Post 2282192)
So a 6th round adding depth to roster is not needed on this team? :kitten:

Adding depth in the 6th is a good thing, but pick someone that fits a 3-4 defense. Jackson will be a serious liability in pass coverage on TE, RB, and in zone coverage.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:13 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger