Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Brees, Foles and .... yes, Keenum (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103683)

maddogmrb 01-05-2014 04:48 PM

Brees, Foles and .... yes, Keenum

I watched much of the Saints/Eagles game and was most interested to see how one of the best QBs and one of the highly touted up-and-coming QBs performed. Here are some observations:

1- BOTH struggled mightily when they were under heavy pressure.
2- Both did well when they weren't under heavy pressure.
3- It was obvious that both teams' good running games helped the passing games and made the QBs lives easier.
4- Foles tends to hold the ball LONGER than Keenum and takes sacks instead of committing turnovers. This was discussed as a GOOD trait.
5- Highly mobile Brees was also sacked under heavy pressure ... his fault???
6- BOTH made several errant passes.
7- Brees threw more int's than TDs ... if Keenum had done that every one here would be saying he's terrible.
8- Both QBs obviously have playoff caliber teams around them.

I have said all along that the injuries the Texans suffered along with lack of oline talent on the right side combined with INCOMPETENT coaching were the BIGGEST problems Keenum had last year.

I hope we get some excellent coaching and healthy players and improved oline and that Keenum gets another chance under those conditions.

infantrycak 01-05-2014 04:53 PM

Re: Brees, Foles and .... yes, Keenum

:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse :gun:

LikeMike 01-05-2014 04:53 PM

So you take 2 subpar QB performances to show that we should give Keenum another chance? Keenum was great for us at first, then got worse fast as teams got some tape on him. I like him, but he has shown very little on why he should get a new chance. I am all for a real QB battle in camp with a real shot for everybody, but I don`t expect Keenum to come out on top of it if we get a good QB through draft or FA...

Hervoyel 01-05-2014 04:56 PM

Note that no matter how bad they both played today (didn't watch it) at least one of them actually ended the day with a "W" which is something Keenum has yet to do. I'm sure O'Brien will give Keenum a fair and impartial look..... kind of like he did with those coaches he met with.

PapaL 01-05-2014 04:57 PM

Case is that you?

Playoffs 01-05-2014 04:59 PM

Eat 'Em Up! Eat 'Em Up! Rah! Rah! Rah!

kingtexan 01-05-2014 05:00 PM

Case will be a good back-up, but not a starter.

ATXtexanfan 01-05-2014 06:13 PM

Keenum sucks alot. Hold on wait...........more than I thought initially

revan 01-05-2014 06:23 PM

Just let it go bro, Case had more than enough chances to prove his worth. Time to move on, especially with the number one pick.

Seegara 01-05-2014 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maddogmrb (Post 2280450)
I watched much of the Saints/Eagles game and was most interested to see how one of the best QBs and one of the highly touted up-and-coming QBs performed. Here are some observations:

1- BOTH struggled mightily when they were under heavy pressure.
2- Both did well when they weren't under heavy pressure.
3- It was obvious that both teams' good running games helped the passing games and made the QBs lives easier.
4- Foles tends to hold the ball LONGER than Keenum and takes sacks instead of committing turnovers. This was discussed as a GOOD trait.
5- Highly mobile Brees was also sacked under heavy pressure ... his fault???
6- BOTH made several errant passes.
7- Brees threw more int's than TDs ... if Keenum had done that every one here would be saying he's terrible.
8- Both QBs obviously have playoff caliber teams around them.

I have said all along that the injuries the Texans suffered along with lack of oline talent on the right side combined with INCOMPETENT coaching were the BIGGEST problems Keenum had last year.

I hope we get some excellent coaching and healthy players and improved oline and that Keenum gets another chance under those conditions.

I'm afraid we've already seen that Keenum is not starting caliber, although he's ok as our backup. He was under a hard rush for a reason: Opponents learned to contain him in the pocket and blitz hard inside and he was helpless.

Hervoyel 01-05-2014 07:06 PM

Everything is based on what came before it.

Keenum got a UDFA contract based on what he'd done in college.

He got a spot on the practice squad because he made an impression on someone.

He later made the team based on what he'd done on the practice squad and what he did in preseason and he jumped past Yates in reality if not on the depth chart for the same reason.

He got to start because of all of that put together.

Now he's had a bunch of starts and none of them were victories. Is it fair? No. Of course not. Some of those were losses because of things that Case had nothing to do with. Was Schaub the only reason we lost a bunch of his final games? No, not really. The NFL isn't fair. It's as close to fair as it can be and that's about all you get.

Team sport. They all succeed or go down together.

Case will probably come to OTA's and camp next year but if he does make it that far he'll have to impress O'Brien enough to overcome what he did this year. I'm not going to say its impossible but now Case is in a new and unfamiliar position. His past isn't something he can point to and leverage to his benefit. It's something he's got to make a new HC and complete stranger forget about.

That doesn't work to his advantage. I'll be surprised if he makes the team next year. I bet O'Brien is going to bring in all new QB's and his guys will make the team. Schaub will be cut and Yates and Keenum won't even make it out of training camp. They'll just be camp arms unless one of them does something really amazing that makes O'Brien take notice. It won't be something they do on the field either. It will have to come before that. They'll have to impress him with their minds.

ATXtexanfan 01-05-2014 07:10 PM

Case closed. .........had to do it

htowntexans1985 01-05-2014 07:11 PM

Nah bro, just.....nah.

Corrosion 01-05-2014 07:11 PM

The difference between those two guy's & Case Keenum .... They can read an NFL defense , Keenum simply cant.

Texan_Bill 01-05-2014 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingtexan (Post 2280467)
Case will be a good back-up, but not a starter.

and

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corrosion (Post 2280571)
The difference between those two guy's & Case Keenum .... They can read an NFL defense , Keenum simply cant.

Exactly!

Honoring Earl 34 01-05-2014 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texan_Bill (Post 2280581)
and

Exactly!

I'm not so sure it's Case can't read a defense as much as it is Case won't take what's given to him and check down .

dream_team 01-05-2014 08:26 PM

I'm ok with Case coming back next season to compete for any QB job on the team, but I give it a 2% chance it'll be the starting job. Eventually, you have to realize the obvious, that every GM in the league knew this guy wasn't a starting caliber QB in the league.

Texn4life 01-05-2014 08:31 PM

Keenum is a legit backup who should improve as he gets more film study and work in. Why can't people be satisfied with that? That's a good career option for an undrafted player. Most didn't think he was capable of even that, but he proved he could step in if necessary.

He's just not the QB to take a team to the next level. Get over it!

thunderkyss 01-05-2014 09:11 PM

If "we" didn't think we had a legit shot at the Super Bowl, I believe Tj would have been allowed to move on, & Case would have been our back-up. He'd have had more time to actually work on his game vs NFL defenses.

I also believe if Kubiak didn't shrink in the face of pressure, he'd have tweaked his offense to help Case. But as it was, he needed a win & he clung to what he knew.

Unfortunately, we're going to have at least 2 new QBs on our roster next season. A vet, a rookie, & I would imagine Case or TJ. The other two are going to be given the most opportunity to succeed. Case is going to have to do what he can just to survive & if he gets another opportunity to prove he belongs in this league... he'd better be ready.

PapaL 01-05-2014 09:20 PM

If the JUGS machine breaks and we need someone to lob rainbows to AJ in practice he will have a job. Other wise "it's not you it's me...lets be friends" seems like the appropriate line.