Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Do people still believe we will have a KC type turnaround next year? (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103679)

speedfreek 01-05-2014 09:47 AM

Do people still believe we will have a KC type turnaround next year?

Before the Obrien hire I thought chances of that were slim
at best.

After saturday, I find it impossible to believe this team has
a winning record next year when the entire coaching staff is
turned over.

When I think of how many players will have to be brough in,
and how many will be playing at new positions (or in totally
different schemes) --

I think 6-10 would be a good start..

Honoring Earl 34 01-05-2014 09:50 AM

Re: Do people still believe we will have a KC type turnaround next year?

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedfreek (Post 2280195)
at best.

turned over.

different schemes) --

I think the Texans will have a last place schedule with a better team .

ziggy29 01-05-2014 09:52 AM

I don't know, but we did have a few KC-like second halves this season...

That said, if the team stays healthy and believes in the coaching staff, and if the QB situation can be at least upgraded to "league average" I wouldn't think 8-8 is out of the question, especially with the weaker schedule of a last place team. Though in reality I think 6-10 is probably more in the ballpark.

DBCooper 01-05-2014 09:53 AM

Pessimism!

It's what's for breakfast!

HJam72 01-05-2014 10:17 AM

19-0. :gamer: :koolaid:

steelbtexan 01-05-2014 10:25 AM

Nope

Too many holes, even with a last place schedule.

Playoffs 01-05-2014 10:34 AM

No.

Steep learning curve at QB and for WRs.

I expect a better second half as they get their timing down.

And I think we need to draft some team leaders.

A time to chill 01-05-2014 10:54 AM

I think it's entirely possible for this team to make it to the playoffs. It will depend a great deal on how good of a coach O'Brien is. We'll have the #1 pick and the easiest schedule so there's no reason to say that 6-10 is the most we can hope for next year. If we do go 6-10, then we are in for another era of mediocrity.

phantom17 01-05-2014 10:56 AM

We will find out next season!:toropalm:

LikeMike 01-05-2014 11:04 AM

I think we need:

A stud NT
A good OLB
A good RT
A stud QB
some depth here and there

If we can get that, I believe in the KC type turnaround. We have major talent on the team (a star WR, LT, HB is a good start. Our C, FB, TEs and second WR ain`t half bad either. On defense we have the best player in the NFL, a great ILB, and despite popular believe a pretty good secondary). Even last seasons team should`ve been in the playoffs if it weren`t for a major meltdown at QB and a clueless coaching staff - the talent was there.

Will we make the playoffs? A lot will be riding on the new QB. If we get a really good one, IŽd say yeah, we do.

Texecutioner 01-05-2014 11:12 AM

Quote:

at best.

turned over.

different schemes) --

I always laugh at the notion many of you have at the idea that a new coaching staff can't transform a team in one to two seasons. Its like you refuse to pay attention to the NFL, because it happens pretty much every other season. Hell, were you under a rock when the Texans changed to Wade Phillips on defense? They changed the entire scheme and went from the worst D in the league to being a top 5 unit over night. And even with that happening on the team you allegedly follow, you are completely against the idea that something like that could happen again. Its strange. The Colts went from the worst team in the league to becoming a playoff contender over night. The Chiefs just did this season.

No one is assuming that it will happen, but the Texans have a lot of pieces in place for it to take place.

Speedy 01-05-2014 11:17 AM

This team lost 9 games by 7 points or less. They created the fewest turnovers in the history of the NFL. I don't understand why people think we're the Cleveland Browns all of a sudden. Better QB play, force some turnovers, eat into that -20 turnover ratio and get that on the plus side at the very least, keep some people healthy, and the Texans compete for the playoffs in 2014.

KC was a -24 in turnover ratio in 2012. They were an AFC best +18 this season. That makes a difference. You think Alex Smith is better than Schaub was in his prime? The answer would be 'hell no' in case you didn't know or were leaning towards yes.

The Texans have to improve at QB, first and foremost. That means they've got to knock it out of the park with this draft. The play at QB has to improve, that's where it starts.

I realize it's more of a luck issue when it comes to injuries, but we've got to hope the key players stay healthy. KC would not have made the playoffs without their Arian Foster (Charles) this season.

This is not a long term 2-3 year project. The turnaround can be just as quick this year to next as it was last year to this. Better coaching (in-game adjustments), better play at QB, some luck healthwise, and turnovers. That's how you get back, that's how you go from 2-14 to the tournament - next year. They were 10-12 plays away this year. Make those plays.

Norg 01-05-2014 11:23 AM

Nope I don't even think we are even going to make the playoffs next year

and since Rick smith sucks at the draft sucks at picking F/a and sucks at cap management decesions we are not going anywhere

2014 we can only hope at best 8-8 then bob will fire Rick and well I guess 2015 will be the year I would hope cus in 2015 the SB is in Houston

Texecutioner 01-05-2014 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norg (Post 2280240)
Nope I don't even think we are even going to make the playoffs next year

and since Rick smith sucks at the draft sucks at picking F/a and sucks at cap management decesions we are not going anywhere

2014 we can only hope at best 8-8 then bob will fire Rick and well I guess 2015 will be the year I would hope cus in 2015 the SB is in Houston

Guarantee you Rick Smith won't be fired next season.

speedfreek 01-05-2014 11:31 AM

We hired a "slightly" above average PSU coach with no NFL head coaching
experience who fired the entire staff without any serious evaluation
at all. (unless he can warp time and evaluate everyone in less than
a week)

KC hired a superbowl coach with multiple NFC championship appearances.
(who already had relationships with NFL calibre assistants)

There are reports that some of our assistants may come from the
college ranks.

No transformation of the type you assume will happen are forthcoming.

By the way, KC was loaded with talent everywhere. Their remaining
weak spot was at QB (smith). We assume that by drafting a QB
we turn everything around?

If so, we are doing it exactly the opposite of how KC did it..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texecutioner (Post 2280234)
I always laugh at the notion many of you have at the idea that a new coaching staff can't transform a team in one to two seasons. Its like you refuse to pay attention to the NFL

kingtexan 01-05-2014 11:39 AM

The biggest issues we had this year, coaching and QB are gone. I think we can turn it around the same way KC did. Bring in a veteran QB and draft a good prospect to learn behind him. Use the other picks and free agency to fill the right holes and we can absolutely turn this into a playoff team. I am on board with O'Brien, he seems like the real deal. Still not sold on Rick, so I am nervous about the draft, but will wait and see.

IDEXAN 01-05-2014 11:54 AM

Let me respond to your thread this way. This O'brien guy seems to be the direct type, you know, no suger coating or any of that. So maybe he needs to sit his boss Bob Mcnair down right now and explain to him that this team has lots of issues in terms of various positions that need to be staffed with competent
NFL players. And we don't know the half of it right now, because we will see a ton more guys leaving during free agency which will mean even more holes to fill througout the depth chart. But it's time for that talk between Bill & Bob.

Sigma 01-05-2014 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HJam72 (Post 2280208)
19-0. :gamer: :koolaid:

let's not exagerate

19-1 :)

Hervoyel 01-05-2014 12:10 PM

Quote:

at best.

turned over.

different schemes) --

I don't just believe it's possible. I expect it. Maybe with the kind of mentality that Gary brought for 8 years a 6-10 "recovery season" might be needed before we move up to an 8-8 pr 9-7 year but I don't think that kind of timetable is in play now.

Teams can turn around their fortunes in short order these days. the Texans should be no different. Now having said that lots of things can conspire to prevent success so an injury bug attack could derail that but the Texans are going to make their moves and they're going to take their best shot. I like their chances. I wish Indianapolis had lost yesterday because that team is building confidence which will stand in our way. It's definitely going to be an obstacle.

Keep in mind though that since they went 2-14 they've posted a pair of 11-5 seasons with a roster that many characterized as very underwhelming.... until it wasn't. They had huge turnover along the way and an MIA head coach who was fighting Leukemia.

Last year Kansas City was 2-14 and this year, 11-5. Saints were 3-13 in Haslett's last year. Bring in Sean Payton and Brees and you got success.

Teams turn themselves around in a season or two all the friggin time. Why not us? I'd say its because of Gary stumbling along learning to be a HC and never quite grasping some of the tougher parts of the job like firing friends who aren't getting the job done. Gary did great things for the Houston Texans. He also did a lot of damage to the Houston Texans. It's hard to reconcile both of those things but there it is.

ATXtexanfan 01-05-2014 12:12 PM

Yeah it can be done. Just gotta hit in the draft and maximize the current talent on roster