Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What should the Texans do with their number one pick? (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103657)

76Texan 01-03-2014 11:18 AM

What should the Texans do with their number one pick?

The NFL had released the tentative order of the draft:
http://www.steelers.com/news/article...4-566e5c08a6e3

Five or six teams might be looking to draft a QB early.

These are the QB prospect ranking from CBS sports:
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...nkings/2014/QB

Remember that last year, there were a total of 3 QBs drafted in the first three rounds.

This year, there are 8 QBs graded as third rounder or higher.
And that doesn't include Mariotta or Hundley who have yet to declare their intention for real.

In my opinion, all these guys have little to big warts.

If I could cherry pick, I would trade down to take a guy like Mettenberger at 80 and or Murray at 160, Miller at 174, and then trade away for as many future draft picks as possible to target 3 or 4 QBs (not even counting Mariotta and Hundley) in 2015 or 2016. They all received high grades coming out of high school: Jameis Winston (Fl St.), Hackenberg (Penn St.), Jacob Park (Georgia bound), and Keller Chryst (Stanford bound).

The 3 guys here received the same grade as Winston (84) or higher.
Winston just won the Heissman and he looks the part.

There are 3 or 4 more guys who received higher grade than Winston in this HS class alone.

I say let the QB-starved teams get hooked for a few years with the current prospects in the upcoming draft and position yourself for better percentage in the near future.

Build both trenches and find stability in ST.
The Pats have been successful with this formula.
The Niners and Broncos are current models.

JMO, of course.

TheIronDuke 01-03-2014 11:31 AM

Re: What should the Texans do with their number one pick?

Are you not aware that we ARE a QB starved team? Are you not also aware that the 9ers and Pats are only able to build the trenches because they ALREADY have a QB and in the Pats case and the Broncos case, have a freaking all-world QB? And are you really looking at friggin HIGH SCHOOL players right now? WTF?

76Texan 01-03-2014 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheIronDuke (Post 2278941)
Are you not aware that we ARE a QB starved team? Are you not also aware that the 9ers and Pats are only able to build the trenches because they ALREADY have a QB and in the Pats case and the Broncos case, have a freaking all-world QB? And are you really looking at friggin HIGH SCHOOL players right now? WTF?

The Niners and the broncos were building their trenches (by that I mean both sides of the ball) before Manning and Kaepernick.

TheIronDuke 01-03-2014 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 76Texan (Post 2278970)
The Niners and the broncos were building their trenches (by that I mean both sides of the ball) before Manning and Kaepernick.

And they also had a first round pick QB on their roster while they did!

76Texan 01-03-2014 11:50 AM

The Broncos, for example, traded away Cutler, and used those picks smartly.

76Texan 01-03-2014 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheIronDuke (Post 2278972)
And they also had a first round pick QB on their roster while they did!

Alex Smith? Who the new regime likes so much they couldn't wait to trade him away for a raw prospect in Kaepernick?

stingray 01-03-2014 11:54 AM

The Broncos defense is awful, they wouldnt even smell .500 with an average qb.

TheIronDuke 01-03-2014 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 76Texan (Post 2278975)
The Broncos, for example, traded away Cutler, and used those picks smartly.

They also used a first round pick in drafting Cutler as well as used a first round pick on Tim Tebow. We don't have a QB who we can trade for picks like the Broncos did. We can't even use a supplemental pick we get from losing Mario Williams on anyone we can keep on the roster.

TheIronDuke 01-03-2014 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 76Texan (Post 2278977)
Alex Smith? Who the new regime likes so much they couldn't wait to trade him away for a raw prospect in Kaepernick?

I guess you're forgetting that he took them to the playoffs and lost his spot due to Kaep (a second round pick) playing well while he was injured and then was traded for picks? The same QB who is taking the Chiefs to the playoffs this weekend?

LikeMike 01-03-2014 11:57 AM

What you are suggesting means we are rebuilding. After drafting a QB it usually takes at least a year or two until he can really contribute - by that time our veterans (Cushing, Manning, JoJo, Smith, Myers, OD, AJ...) might not be on the team anymore or past their prime. Basically it would be a "let`s cash in on all we have and get ready fo the 2017 season".

I think this team is more looking to go the Chiefs/Colts way: get a new QB and new coaches, get some quick fixes for the other holes and look to compete right away. I also think, that the team has the talent to compete outside of QB - last season we got sucked into a downward spiral of suckiness and the coaches were clueless how to stop it. We also had some pretty bad injuries.

Get a QB, a RT (might already be on the team), an OLB and I think we are already looking decent. If we get a real playmaker at QB and OLB we are looking very good...

TheIronDuke 01-03-2014 12:04 PM

There's not a playoff team in the league who is built on only building the trenches and throwing a scrub out at QB who they picked up off a crap heap. The Chiefs even had to give up picks for Alex Smith, Seattle gave up picks for Matt Flynn and ended up drafting Russell Wilson as well. Hell, the Pats have used a higher pick on a QB than we have since we drafted David Carr! Only the Broncos got lucky getting Manning while we had our thumbs up our butt with Schaub but they still used 2 first round picks on QB's in the past 8 years.

Playoffs 01-03-2014 12:06 PM

I'm not opposed to moving into future higher quality QB drafts, but you have to address the position in some manner right now.

Each passing year is lost years from your good players on your team right now.

Regardless, I'll let OB make his own choices for his position group.

TexansFTW 01-03-2014 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheIronDuke (Post 2278982)
I guess you're forgetting that he took them to the playoffs and lost his spot due to Kaep (a second round pick) playing well while he was injured and then was traded for picks? The same QB who is taking the Chiefs to the playoffs this weekend?

I've got to rep you here for what you've said this whole thread. It's just amazing to me when 2 different people can see the same sunset and one sees dark and the other sees light.

The people that see the dark have this amazing plan to start scouting maternity wards for QBs and their Elementary School Line Backer brothers.

The people that see the light see one of the best WRs to play football in the last 10 years time running out. They see an All-World DE. They see a pretty bad-A RB. They see a linebacking core with injury concerns that needs some work. They see a decent secondary. But they see nothing at THE MOST IMPORTANT position in football. Just a stupid guy punching the ground and crying as he collects a $11 Million Dollar Check as he is pushed out of the building.

They see the light fading on this picture though. And they KNOW that waiting until the year 2025 when Jesus comes down from the heavens throwing thunderbolts at the City of Indianapolis and breathing life into Peyton Manning and Tom Brady's womb at the same time is NOT the appropriate plan of action. I just pray that Rick Smith still sees the light and hasn't completely gone to the darkness yet.

rmartin65 01-03-2014 12:29 PM

This is insane. I heard this first grader down the street has an absolute CANNON for an arm. I am holding off on drafting a QB until he is eligible. Unless his younger brother looks better. Kid is only 1 week old, but nobody lays in a crib like this kid. Future HOF GOAT AINEC.

TheIronDuke 01-03-2014 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexansFTW (Post 2279001)
I've got to rep you here for what you've said this whole thread. It's just amazing to me when 2 different people can see the same sunset and one sees dark and the other sees light.

The people that see the dark have this amazing plan to start scouting maternity wards for QBs and their Elementary School Line Backer brothers.

The people that see the light see one of the best WRs to play football in the last 10 years time running out. They see an All-World DE. They see a pretty bad-A RB. They see a linebacking core with injury concerns that needs some work. They see a decent secondary. But they see nothing at THE MOST IMPORTANT position in football. Just a stupid guy punching the ground and crying as he collects a $11 Million Dollar Check as he is pushed out of the building.

They see the light fading on this picture though. And they KNOW that waiting until the year 2025 when Jesus comes down from the heavens throwing thunderbolts at the City of Indianapolis and breathing life into Peyton Manning and Tom Brady's womb at the same time is NOT the appropriate plan of action. I just pray that Rick Smith still sees the light and hasn't completely gone to the darkness yet.

Thanks man and I repped this post as well. I really just can't believe someone who's a Texans fan could have watched us play this year and not see that we need a QB.

Yes, we need a RT and a few picks on defense. But, my god, people are saying we should trade a pick for a scrub back-up like Mallett or sign some journeyman QB while we have a #1 overall in a pretty good QB draft class. When I see someone talk about how good the high school QB's are looking I just want to slam my head into a wall. I just don't know what to think anymore, I'm glad that there seems to be more rational posters here than crazy people.

bOODRO87 01-03-2014 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmartin65 (Post 2279011)
This is insane. I heard this first grader down the street has an absolute CANNON for an arm. I am holding off on drafting a QB until he is eligible. Unless his younger brother looks better. Kid is only 1 week old, but nobody lays in a crib like this kid. Future HOF GOAT AINEC.

http://scopeblog.stanford.edu/files/...ll-player1.jpg

rmartin65 01-03-2014 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bOODRO87 (Post 2279017)

THAT'S THE KID!!!!

Getting around the caps lock block. Actually, does that even exist on this board? The world is full of wonders...

76Texan 01-03-2014 12:42 PM

Instant gratification is hard to come by.
You need to have a short term goal, an intermediate goal, and a long range goal.
Obviously, you need some luck, but making a plan based on luck has a very low return percentage.

Sometimes I do feel (just like 99% of us do), that it's almost impossible to change one another's opinion, but I like engaging conversations.

I go back and read old posts, some I think have a good point.
The different opinions should make for a lively discussion, and not to harbor ill-wills.

One thing I can say is that I will listen (read) ( to) your opinion and give it the thought.
I only hope and want the same respect that I give out.
Cool?

Texecutioner 01-03-2014 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmartin65 (Post 2279019)
THAT'S THE KID!!!!

Getting around the caps lock block. Actually, does that even exist on this board? The world is full of wonders...

Yeah but if we can get that kid we will have an elite QB for probably like 12 years.

b0ng 01-03-2014 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 76Texan (Post 2278928)
The NFL had released the tentative order of the draft:
http://www.steelers.com/news/article...4-566e5c08a6e3

Five or six teams might be looking to draft a QB early.

These are the QB prospect ranking from CBS sports:
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...nkings/2014/QB

Remember that last year, there were a total of 3 QBs drafted in the first three rounds.

This year, there are 8 QBs graded as third rounder or higher.
And that doesn't include Mariotta or Hundley who have yet to declare their intention for real.

In my opinion, all these guys have little to big warts.

If I could cherry pick, I would trade down to take a guy like Mettenberger at 80 and or Murray at 160, Miller at 174, and then trade away for as many future draft picks as possible to target 3 or 4 QBs (not even counting Mariotta and Hundley) in 2015 or 2016. They all received high grades coming out of high school: Jameis Winston (Fl St.), Hackenberg (Penn St.), Jacob Park (Georgia bound), and Keller Chryst (Stanford bound).

The 3 guys here received the same grade as Winston (84) or higher.
Winston just won the Heissman and he looks the part.

There are 3 or 4 more guys who received higher grade than Winston in this HS class alone.

I say let the QB-starved teams get hooked for a few years with the current prospects in the upcoming draft and position yourself for better percentage in the near future.

Build both trenches and find stability in ST.
The Pats have been successful with this formula.
The Niners and Broncos are current models.

JMO, of course.

You can't write off an entire draft class at a position group before you get to the senior bowl/east west shrine game, nfl combine, and pro days, even if they weren't graded out as impressively as others at the HS level. This seem like a thread where you want people to talk up Bridgewater/Manziel so you can repeatedly shoot them down the advice of waiting until next years/2016 draft because those QB's are better (Not even counting that 2 of them have yet to take a snap at the college level).

Either way you have to evaluate the class before you make rash decisions, you may not be in love with a player right now (or maybe you are but you want to make sure), making a decision about who you're taking #1 in January is silly because new information will be coming out from now until the draft actually happens.